Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 3:55:30 PM EDT
I am looking at getting my first suppressor and could use a little help. This seems to be the place to ask.

What I want:
I want a suppressor that I can mount on my .30 cal rifles as well as my 5.56 rifles (at least until I get a 5.56 can).
I would like it to mount to a brake or some type of muzzle attachment and be rock solid. My rifles are accurate and I would love to keep it that way.

I have been looking at the AAC 7.62SD and the Griffin Recce 7. I like how the Griffin locks up but am concerned that it may not be all that quiet.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
A .30 cal can is a good place to start with.
Are your .30 cal rifles gas guns or bolt guns?
For accuracy the trend is to stay with thread-on cans.
You can get an adapter to run the .30 cal can on the 5.56 rifles (staying with thread-on can)
If you want, to QD the 5.56 later with another can that could be one way to go.
I have no experience with Griffin cans; iirc reading they are decent cans.

Do know that running full power ammo off gas guns .30 cal or 5.56 using full size cans; it is still loud and not hearing safe.  Wear PPE.
On a bolt gun in the open, a full size can using full power ammo seems easier on the ears (probably still not really hearing safe, still wear PPE).

My first .30 can was an AAC Cyclone to run on everything; no regrets.
Take a look see at one of your neighbors, Liberty Suppressors.  Good people.

eta:  Get a .22LR can also!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The rifles that would get used are 3 AR-15's, 1 AR-10, and 3 bolt action rifles in .260 and .308. I understand that even the best suppressors are not quiet with full power loads and IIRC, sound about like a .22lr. I mainly want one that I can hunt with and not worry about a shot or two without ear pro.

I just stumbled upon the Thunder Beast 30BA, anyone have experience with those?

Yes, a .22lr can would probably be on order also. I have heard of Liberty, they aren't far at all from me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 30P-1 that is GTG, nice can.  It still sounds about the same as a Cyclone off a gas gun though.  It is a little lighter in weight - Ti.
I bought it for a bolt gun and to do double duty on a 300 Blackout AR project (along with a SAS Arbiter).

I've shot the 7.62 Liberty cans off bolt guns in the open with full power ammo with no ear pro, and had no problems (not the smartest thing to do though).
I think a full size .30 cal. can for the bolt guns will be what you're looking for.  Many good choices out there.
It seems that the majority of competitive shooters like the Thunderbeast cans.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm.....

Now I am leaning in the direction of the SilencerCo Specwar. That seems to be more of what I want for a semi-auto can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
You're leaning correctly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an AAC 762-SD and while I like it for my 5.56's, it is used sparingly on my 5.56 SBR because of the SS baffles. I would get the 762SDN-6 if I was to get another one and had a SBR.

TBH I got the SD because I didn't ever think I'd get a SBR, but 2 years later I wish I got the SDN-6 because  I did get a SBR.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going Saker 7.62. I like the mount a tad better than specwar and it isn't as heavy. Still has the stellite baffles. Plus removable front cap and you can change the mount.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with the SilencerCo Saker myself.  It's shorter and lighter than the Specwar and has an awesome mounting system. It can also mount on other companies (AAC & YHM) mounts if that is something you need.  They are both great cans and you will be happy with either, unless the weight and length of the Specwar bothers you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:50:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmmm.....

Now I am leaning in the direction of the SilencerCo Specwar. That seems to be more of what I want for a semi-auto can.
View Quote

You should lean a little farther and go with the Saker 762 instead of the SpecWar.  I will be filing for one soon.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd get the saker, but the specwar is still a great choice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a Surefire man myself.  I really like the no point of impact shift can on/off, and their mounts are great.

Their cans generally run a bit shorter than others - about 6 inches except for the full size 30 can, and only another 4.25 or so compared to with a mount.

All the big boys make good suppressors, so you really can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Whats the difference in the mounting systems between the specwar and Saker? The reason I am leaning toward the Specwar is I may use it on two bolt guns as well. This may lead me to get a 5.56 can also. I read where short .30 cal cans werent all that good for .308 etc... and full power loads.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll be the one that leans towards the SpecWar camp.

The SpecWar fits my needs perfectly. I don't have a need or desire for interchangable mounts or endcaps and I actually prefer the simplistic look of the SpecWar tube vs the Saker.

The ASR mount works by having a bearing surface in front of the coarse threads that seals up against the suppressor. Behind the coarse threads is a ring with fine teeth on it which the lock engages.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll be the one that leans towards the SpecWar camp.

The SpecWar fits my needs perfectly. I don't have a need or desire for interchangable mounts or endcaps and I actually prefer the simplistic look of the SpecWar tube vs the Saker.

The ASR mount works by having a bearing surface in front of the coarse threads that seals up against the suppressor. Behind the coarse threads is a ring with fine teeth on it which the lock engages.

View Quote

What this guy said.  I am extremely happy with my Specwars.  Love the smooth simplistic look of the can.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I would say stay away from AAC and their 51t mounts if you are concerned with accuracy.  I've been very disappointed with the affect mine have had on the accuracy of my rifles.  I'd say give the options from silencerco a look, or AAC SR7 if it's finally out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Whats the difference in the mounting systems between the specwar and Saker? The reason I am leaning toward the Specwar is I may use it on two bolt guns as well. This may lead me to get a 5.56 can also. I read where short .30 cal cans werent all that good for .308 etc... and full power loads.
View Quote

The specwar well perform well on a bolt gun as far as sound goes. I wouldn't consider the saker a short or mini can by any means.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't know if this was mentioned in the thread... but, you can (or will be able to?) get an adapter for the Saker that also allows it to be thread on.  

FWIW, I have a Specwar and couldn't be happier with it, but if in your situation I'd probably be leaning towards the Saker for the mount interchangeability.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, after comparing the Saker and Specwar, I ordered the Specwar tonight. Let the wait begin.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, after comparing the Saker and Specwar, I ordered the Specwar tonight. Let the wait begin.....
View Quote

YHM Phantom QD 7.62 Titanium is 15oz compared to specwar 24oz and the YHM will handle 300 magnums no problem.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

the YHM will handle 300 magnums no problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the YHM will handle 300 magnums no problem.

So will the Specwar. I also like the mounting system, brakes, and trifecta flash hiders over the YHM offerings.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#21]
You can also get direct thread mounting module for the Saker, this will make it easy to mount on bolt guns without needing extra muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:59:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

YHM Phantom QD 7.62 Titanium is 15oz compared to specwar 24oz and the YHM will handle 300 magnums no problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Out of what I own the 7.62 Ti is my least favorite can. It has gone from a multi gun workhorse to being used on a 300blk and 308 AR. The 308 brake is terrible. I have a harvester inbound for precision work.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Not to mention the ugly YHM mounts
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#24]
For the mounting system to be beneficial you'd have to have a lot of guns with mounts. The YHM mounting system
Is $250. That is the price of & YHM mounts. Not really worth it. The AAC mounting system is a downgrade from the saker
SYSTEM and cost $250 also I think. I would go with the specwar as I did and just get the mounts for eAch rifle as you can
afford them. The specwar locks up rock solid to the point of feeling like it's part of the barrel.

The downside of the specwar is you trade excellent suppression, durability, solid mount for longer length and slightly heavier.

To me it's worth it. I got my to make my rifles as quiet as I can get them. The specwar does it and is also affordable.
Plus the warranty is excellent.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For the mounting system to be beneficial you'd have to have a lot of guns with mounts. The YHM mounting system
Is $250. That is the price of & YHM mounts. Not really worth it. The AAC mounting system is a downgrade from the saker
SYSTEM and cost $250 also I think. I would go with the specwar as I did and just get the mounts for eAch rifle as you can
afford them. The specwar locks up rock solid to the point of feeling like it's part of the barrel.

The downside of the specwar is you trade excellent suppression, durability, solid mount for longer length and slightly heavier.

To me it's worth it. I got my to make my rifles as quiet as I can get them. The specwar does it and is also affordable.
Plus the warranty is excellent.
View Quote

Basically exactly why I went with the specwar. Everything is a compromise, the specwar seemed to fit my needs best. Not that any of the suppressors listed above are bad choices.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Get the AAC (I prefer) or look into a YHM .30 cal phantom.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm a Surefire man myself.  I really like the no point of impact shift can on/off, and their mounts are great.

Their cans generally run a bit shorter than others - about 6 inches except for the full size 30 can, and only another 4.25 or so compared to with a mount.

All the big boys make good suppressors, so you really can't go wrong.
View Quote
This....  Just ordered at SOCOM RC-556, but plan on getting a .30 version next for my Remington 700 SPSV .308 and I plan on ordering a PredatOBR in 7.62 next year, especially If I get my bonus like the past few years... If not, I still may...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top