Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 12:48:42 PM EDT
Thinking about adding mounts to a few more of my rifles.  I currently have a YHM 30cal QD can, and using the older style phantom mounts.  I'm not really impressed with how many of the new mounts look.  The edgy, angular "Zombie Killa" mounts just to get me excited and in fact look like they are catering to a different audience, and the brakes look like random holes were drilled through it.  I know that is a bit harsh, and actual performance is more important that looks.  But that said, there are much more visually attractive mounts out there for some of the other brands.   Yeah...if it means that much to me I should have bought a different brand, I get that.

I know PWS made a very desirable 5.56 QD mount/brake.  Any others out there, or on the drawing board?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of any...but I also happen to like my mounts. (The new version for the LT/LTA that are shorter and don't have all the grooves).

I was more excited to find the opposite combination, a can (Saker 7.62) that can work on my YHM QD mounts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a guy on eBay that made them.  He hasn't had them for a while, but I emailed him and he said they were making more.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/5016631623
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish YHM would just make a normal birdcage style QD flash hider without the pig sticker points or their previous "ribbed for her pleasure" shenanigans. Their new design is -this- close to being decent, if they would just file off those goofy "carbon scraper" sharp edges on the front it would be fine. I really want to take a dremel to the one I have just to see how it would look.

If they made a QD that looked like an A2 or A1 birdcage just elongated I'd buy like four of them right now. Full on Phillip J Fry shut up and take my money.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish YHM would just make a normal birdcage style QD flash hider without the pig sticker points or their previous "ribbed for her pleasure" shenanigans. Their new design is -this- close to being decent, if they would just file off those goofy "carbon scraper" sharp edges on the front it would be fine. I really want to take a dremel to the one I have just to see how it would look.
View Quote

Those point make all the difference when you have to control somebody at close range.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If they made a QD that looked like an A2 or A1 birdcage just elongated I'd buy like four of them right now.
View Quote

x2
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those point make all the difference when you have to control somebody at close range.
View Quote

If I'm ever magically in a situation where I'd need to "control somebody at close range" I'd like to believe I would not be relying on tiny little sharp points on the front of my rifle to do so. Plus if I had any indication I'd be using one of my rifles "for real" the can would be on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There is a guy on eBay that made them.  He hasn't had them for a while, but I emailed him and he said they were making more.

View Quote

Thanks for the info..will have to check that out!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I'm ever magically in a situation where I'd need to "control somebody at close range" I'd like to believe I would not be relying on tiny little sharp points on the front of my rifle to do so. Plus if I had any indication I'd be using one of my rifles "for real" the can would be on.
View Quote

Not saying it makes alot of sense on a mount, just saying that this is the reason for it.  Also why you don't want them too sharp.  Just poke it into a soft part (belly) and then won't try to swipe it away.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not saying it makes alot of sense on a mount, just saying that this is the reason for it.  Also why you don't want them too sharp.  Just poke it into a soft part (belly) and then won't try to swipe it away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That kinda reminds me of something my dad often tells from basic training 40+ years ago. Instructor said if their bayonet got stuck in somebody, fire a shot to help free it. My dad's question was if he still had ammo, why was he using a bayonet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That kinda reminds me of something my dad often tells from basic training 40+ years ago. Instructor said if their bayonet got stuck in somebody, fire a shot to help free it. My dad's question was if he still had ammo, why was he using a bayonet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, you can't just shoot people that you are detaining... well you CAN, but sometimes they frown upon that.  I, for one, have never been in a situation where a bayonet seemed like a good idea.  If you are controlling prisoners, a bayonet is intimidating, but unless you have a mind to actually stick somebody with it, it's really easy just to swipe to the side.  A semi-pointy muzzle is hard to just swipe away and usually leaves no marks or injury to the prisoner... depending on how hard you poke them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have any pictures of what they are making?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, and I spent about 20 minutes looking.  The guy emailed me fairly quickly when I contacted him.  I think they looked similar to the YHM flash suppressors, but the locking mechanism was a bit less complex, IIRC.  Not sure that meets your needs, but they were much cheaper if that helps.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, and I spent about 20 minutes looking.  The guy emailed me fairly quickly when I contacted him.  I think they looked similar to the YHM flash suppressors, but the locking mechanism was a bit less complex, IIRC.  Not sure that meets your needs, but they were much cheaper if that helps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, was just curious.

I really want a PWS FSC556 QD mount like they use to make.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You and me both,  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone used the 5.56 QD brake mount? I was thinking of using it since it looks relatively normal and my .30 cal can is supposed to be backwards compatible to the 5.56 mounts, but I don't want it to be punishingly loud during unsuppressed shooting.

https://yhm.net/phantom-5-56-comp-brake-q-d-mount.html

YHM, if you'd restyle your FHs to look more like this I'd be buying several. But I'm not sticking that ridiculous FH on all my rifles.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has anyone used the 5.56 QD brake mount? I was thinking of using it since it looks relatively normal and my .30 cal can is supposed to be backwards compatible to the 5.56 mounts, but I don't want it to be punishingly loud during unsuppressed shooting.

YHM, if you'd restyle your FHs to look more like this I'd be buying several. But I'm not sticking that ridiculous FH on all my rifles.
View Quote

That's the new design. The old design looked similar but the holes were round instead of double drill oblong.

I had one of the older break mounts on an 18" AR for a while. It was loud. Louder than it would have been without it on. How much louder? I can't say for sure as I really only shot it like once without the can on.

Honestly I virtually never shoot my YHM mount rifles without the can on anymore.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Brakes arent loud for the person firing usually, its the poor bastard next to you thatll hate life. Ive got both styles and they both work well as brakes, with that said I rarely shoot unsuppressed as its just much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a PWS on my 10.5" w 10" rail, its badass. I would buy 5 more if I could fund them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I run one on my SBR. Doesn't look too bad.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone tried one of these? http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m-16-parts/upper-receivers-and-parts/muzzle-devices/qd-brake-shield-simplistic-shooting-solutions.html

Still waiting on a F3 transfer to a local dealer, so I have a lot of time to kill.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried one of these? http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/ar-15-m-16-parts/upper-receivers-and-parts/muzzle-devices/qd-brake-shield-simplistic-shooting-solutions.html

Still waiting on a F3 transfer to a local dealer, so I have a lot of time to kill.

View Quote

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd try one... the brake never bothered me though... cuz I never shoot unsuppressed anyways...  except to show someone new the difference from unsuppressed to suppressed. lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for that. Looks a ton better than the FH.

Just ordered two.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had one that I tested out on my SBR SCAR. It worked kind of like a KX3 or Bulgarian 4 piece brake in that it directed the noise downrange pretty well. It was really only noticeable when shooting in a booth or with hard surfaces close to you... out in a field the difference is negligible at best.

It is also HEAVY. Not nearly as heavy as a stainless Phantom can but if you screw one on your QD mount you can tell it is on there.

I wound up selling mine shortly after getting it. I bought it purely to experiment with and had no real intention of keeping it. Would I buy one to keep? No. There is no point. I run my Phantom every time I shoot a rifle that has a QD mount on it. I suppose if you had two SBR rifles with mounts at the range that you and a friend were shooting simultaneously, one of you with the can and the other without, having it on the rifle without the can would make a slight difference in boom to the guy with the can rifle next to the guy shooting the non can rifle. OR if you just bought your Phantom can and are waiting for it to clear the form 4 and you have a brake on an SBR and you really want to mitigate the boom slightly before your can arrives. Those are the only places I think one of these things would work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just ordered two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ordered two.

Just keep a dentist on speed dial or wear a mouth guard.  This thing on an SBR rattles your teeth.  Ran a Smith Muzzle brake on my 6" barrel Olympic Upper for a few years.  Even deaf people can tell it's loud.  You feel like Jodi Foster lighting up the range when you fire one!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just keep a dentist on speed dial or wear a mouth guard.  This thing on an SBR rattles your teeth.  Ran a Smith Muzzle brake on my 6" barrel Olympic Upper for a few years.  Even deaf people can tell it's loud.  You feel like Jodi Foster lighting up the range when you fire one!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ordered two.

I have the YHM brake on my 11.5"  It isn't sighted in due to my hatred of the noise from the brake.  The range I shoot at is out doots with just a cloth sun cover.  I have had my stamp for almost 3 months now.  I have thought about on the SS Shields to see if it helps but after reading the poster above I am not sure I want to drop the $ to get one.

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I just wish they would make one to fit my SR-25 threads (3/4"-24)
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just wish they would make one to fit my SR-25 threads (3/4"-24)
View Quote

What is the barrel length on your KAC?  Just send it off and have it rethreaded.  They might not even need to cut your barrel down.  There might be enough metal under your existing threads.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I run one of the 5.56 comp mounts on my 14.5" 5.56 gun.  When the can isn't on (basically when it is on my 300blk gun) I keep a QD Brake Shield on there.  The comp is STUPID loud, and the brake shield significantly helps the shooter when using one.  I stopped using the FHs because they look so fucking stupid with the Mordor spikes on them.

Honestly, I bought a Saker so I could use it with my legacy or with new YHM mounts, but the more I look at the zombie killa bullshit mounts the more I think I'm willing to drop a few more Benjis to switch over.  THe only thing that might stop me is the permanently attached unit on the 14.5" upper.

ETA: Oh, yeah.  And those spikes are just like the equally worthless "defender" bezels on SF lights.  They will snag on all your gear and rip it to shit, but never come in handy.  NEVER.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just bought mine on gunbroker.com a couple of weeks ago. They guy selling them was selling them to clear out the remaining stock PWS had at their shop. He had 30 more for sale when I bought mine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I just bought mine on gunbroker.com a couple of weeks ago. They guy selling them was selling them to clear out the remaining stock PWS had at their shop. He had 30 more for sale when I bought mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a link to seller?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top