Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 5:31:10 AM EDT
I am ordering an AK like this with integrated sights, (so not front sight block on the barrel).  Assuming I cut it down to remove the russian threading it comes with and threaded it in 5/8x24, would this work with an AK?  

BTW my VEPR is going to be 7.62x39 NOT 308
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
You can suppress the AK, but they will not be as quiet as you may want
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesnt need to go pew pew like movies, any decibel reduction is an improvement in my book.  What kind of db can you expect on a suppressed AK (7.62x39)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably similar to a piston AR.

Figure mid to high 130s depending on which can you use.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably similar to a piston AR.

Figure mid to high 130s depending on which can you use.
View Quote

Sounds about right.  

I forgot to mention: My intended can is a SWR Specwar 762.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a guy who suppressed a SBR AK on here not too long ago.

He said it wasn't any quieter suppressed than unsuppressed if I recall(Just saying what I recall, Im not sure if his can played a part in this as well). Ive never seen a suppressed AK so I cannot comment.

I heard M1As were loud suppressed. I heard one suppressed not too long ago. It was louder than my 10.5 suppressed but nothing outrageous
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

He said it wasn't any quieter suppressed than unsuppressed if I recall(Just saying what I recall, Im not sure if his can played a part in this as well). Ive never seen a suppressed AK so I cannot comment.

I heard M1As were loud suppressed. I heard one suppressed not too long ago. It was louder than my 10.5 suppressed but nothing outrageous
View Quote
Yea, that was probably me.  My situation was a bit unique though.  A 7.62 can on a 5.56 host.

I've yet to shoot my 7.62 AK with it suppressed, but I expect about what people have said here, good not great.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you have to do anything special to thread the barrel for that SBR?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well, it is a krink and already threaded for 24mm.  

My AK is 14mm left hand

Is yours not threaded at all?  

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My AK is 14mm left hand

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My AK is 14mm left hand

Its on order but I dont know what the threading is for it yet.  My guess is 14mm just based on what Ive read about VEPRs but I wont know for sure til I take possession of it
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Random question:  Is the AR a quieter platform than the AK?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yea, that was probably me.  My situation was a bit unique though.  A 7.62 can on a 5.56 host.

I've yet to shoot my 7.62 AK with it suppressed, but I expect about what people have said here, good not great.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Krink in the avatar has an AAC can, you hear the round report downrange staggered from the operating round sound along with what I compare to firing a .22LR, it is a 5/45 round
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Kind of muzzle heavy.  And it's still loud enough you don't want to shoot it without ear plugs.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#14]
My store has a HTA Kestrel 762AK on a post sample AK-47 (16" bbl).  I was of the opinion that either the can sucked and/or all suppressed AK-47s sucked.  This combo is LOUD.  Dont misunderstand me the suppressor makes a difference.  However, compared to a 5.56 chambered, 12.5" bbl'ed, M16 w/ M4-96D the AK-47 w/ Kestrel is LOUD.  It is indisputably unpleasant without ear pro.

At least in full auto.  Which was the only way the combo usually gets used.  A week ago some did a few shots in semi and it sound good.  Then the select was pushed up to auto and it was LOUD again.  The AK-47 and 7.62x39 cartridge and full auto clearly overwhelm the capabilities of the HTA 762AK suppressor.  It spits fire in full auto like a bare muzzle SBR.

Either way, it is a lot of fun.  And while I am normally not a proponent of HTA cans, this is one role in which their Kestrel excells.  If suppression is going to suck any way, might was well have a cheap can on the end that you don't worry too much about.  I would not want to see a good can like a titanium YHM or SAS can on an AK-47.  

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes
View Quote

+1, without a doubt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess I'm lucky my. My Draco threads were straight.
My YHM Phantom works great on it. Doesn't sound like a gunshot.  Not too loud to shoot with no ear pro not really, shooting wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My store has a HTA Kestrel 762AK on a post sample AK-47 (16" bbl).  I was of the opinion that either the can sucked and/or all suppressed AK-47s sucked.  This combo is LOUD.  Dont misunderstand me the suppressor makes a difference.  However, compared to a 5.56 chambered, 12.5" bbl'ed, M16 w/ M4-96D the AK-47 w/ Kestrel is LOUD.  It is indisputably unpleasant without ear pro.

At least in full auto.  Which was the only way the combo usually gets used.  A week ago some did a few shots in semi and it sound good.  Then the select was pushed up to auto and it was LOUD again.  The AK-47 and 7.62x39 cartridge and full auto clearly overwhelm the capabilities of the HTA 762AK suppressor.  It spits fire in full auto like a bare muzzle SBR.

Either way, it is a lot of fun.  And while I am normally not a proponent of HTA cans, this is one role in which their Kestrel excells.  If suppression is going to suck any way, might was well have a cheap can on the end that you don't worry too much about.  I would not want to see a good can like a titanium YHM or SAS can on an AK-47.  
+1, without a doubt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

+1, without a doubt.

I've got an HTA Kestrel that I put on a 16" AK I have and it sounded pretty good. I don't have a F/A AK though, so I can only shoot it in semi, but it sounded pretty good to everyone who shot it and those standing around listening.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can suppress the AK, but they will not be as quiet as you may want
View Quote

30 cal maybe but the 106 is  22 quiet.  When the next can comes in i will see about an adapter for my SBR Draco

little cough cough over gassed after 20+ rds

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top