Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 3:46:03 PM EDT
Has anyone had issues disassembling their Octane 9HD's. I just picked mine up from the dealer today and have been having issues getting the front end cap to come off. I know you use the back end of the piston to do it and it will not budge loose. My Octane 45 is fine, comes apart easy.. Its almost as if the can is fused shut for some reason...I've scratched the shit out of the anodizing on the end cap and I'm about ready to send it to SilencerCo to have them check it out. I've tried all kinds of oils to see if that would help and nothing...Anyone have suggestions?

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone had issues disassembling their Octane 9HD's. I just picked mine up from the dealer today and have been having issues getting the front end cap to come off. I know you use the back end of the piston to do it and it will not budge loose. My Octane 45 is fine, comes apart easy.. Its almost as if the can is fused shut for some reason...I've scratched the shit out of the anodizing on the end cap and I'm about ready to send it to SilencerCo to have them check it out. I've tried all kinds of oils to see if that would help and nothing...Anyone have suggestions?

View Quote

I could not get mine off without using screw driver through the piston for leverage
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I could not get mine off without using screw driver through the piston for leverage
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Now I feel pretty stupid for not thinking to try that. Came apart with ease using the screw driver.  Now I'll have to live with the scratched up end cap..
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks guys. Now I feel pretty stupid for not thinking to try that. Came apart with ease using the screw driver.  Now I'll have to live with the scratched up end cap..
View Quote

Get some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black ... it'll touch up those scratches on the endcap.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black ... it'll touch up those scratches on the endcap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Let us know if you're happy with how yours sounds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:17:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll have to find some Aluma-black and try it out. I'll report back on how it sounds. I've only got the one host so far, a P228. Just a good excuse to buy another host or two or three....Has there been issues with them not reducing the sound as they should?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll have to find some Aluma-black and try it out. I'll report back on how it sounds. I've only got the one host so far, a P228. Just a good excuse to buy another host or two or three....Has there been issues with them not reducing the sound as they should?
View Quote

That depends on who you talk to.  Many current suppressors, and the Octane is no exception, produce a great deal of back pressure. You can't design one suppressor that works perfect on all pistols.  The suppressor often vents gas through the barrel with enough force to cause it to pop.  If you have issues with the way it sounds, try changing up the particular subsonic load you are using or, if you reload, you might try swapping powders.  The Octane 9 should be hearing safe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I F'd up the finish on my 3-lug mount just a bit by using a hex wrench to break it loose.  It adds character    
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I F'd up the finish on my 3-lug mount just a bit by using a hex wrench to break it loose.  It adds character    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask SiCo how much it would cost for them to replace the end cap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine isn't at all quiet. Hearing safe, though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a chance to take my Octane 45 out with some new 9mm loads today: 147gr Montana Gold CMJ with 3.3 grains of Titegroup. Shot out of a Glock 34 with a Storm Lake barrel in the open - it was absolutely pleasant to shoot with no hearing protection. I'll try it again with my Octane 9 the next time I can get out but I'm not expecting any drastic differences.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The pin spanner is less than $10 from McMaster-Carr.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in contact with SilencerCo after I posted this. They are going to replace the end cap for no charge, even paying shipping both ways. That is the type of customer service that keeps me buying their products again and again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

This is what my dealer warned me, I have not torn my new Octane down yet (limited shooting).
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was in contact with SilencerCo after I posted this. They are going to replace the end cap for no charge, even paying shipping both ways. That is the type of customer service that keeps me buying their products again and again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great to hear that.  I've got a friend who has agreed to mill plastic wrenches for my Octane 45 and Spectre II.  I, too, worry about the finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top