Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 3:35:12 PM EDT
Wouldn't you only have to pop out the grenade mount pin and screw on an FH/brake mount? I was wondering what the thread pattern on an sks was?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]

edit:nevermind
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I would imagine it to be a terrible host but why not but a blackout/brakeout on there with a SDN6

In for real answers though

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:33:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would imagine it to be a terrible host but why not but a blackout/brakeout on there with a SDN6

In for real answers though

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

This is more of a "can it be done so I can shoot it suppressed" kind of a thing, I already have a blackout, but the more hosts I can use on a can, the better.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked into suppressing my Yugo ~6 years ago in order to shoot subsonic handloads through it at night with my night vision.  The Yugo SKS really appealed to me because it was CHEAP and already had a gas cutoff built into it.  I wound up shelving the project for a few reasons.

1.  I read in a couple different places that the threads on these barrels weren't always perfectly concentric.
2.  The left handed metric thread pattern would've required an adapter to be made to 5/8x24 for a 30 cal can.  I found a place that would do it (can't remember where now) and I think it was going to be ~$175.  I thought that spending that was a bit excessive considering this was supposed to be a CHEAP setup.  Also, I did not like the idea of attaching a can with RH threads to an adapter that is secured to the barrel (which may or may not be concentrically threaded) by LH threads.  Tightening the can onto the adapter may start to loosen the adapter from the barrel.  Yes, loctite or threadlocker would probably prevent that from happening, but still.  
3.  Accuracy tests w/ my particular SKS didn't turn out well (used US made factory hunting rounds) while I was waiting on the quote for the adapter.  This essentially cancelled the project for me, no point in moving forward once this was established.
4.  I calculated how much I'd be spending on the thread adapter, aftermarket trigger for SKS (UGLY trigger pull on mine), and some sort of stable optic mount for a night scope.  I would've essentially had to spend as much on this project as I would've to do a 300 whisper SBR upper.  The SBR whisper upper would've been MUCH more ideal (no adapter, already has a good rail, uses standard 30 cal bullets) and I would not then have to modify an otherwise decent C&R rifle.  
5.  Since I was planning on using it w/ handloaded subsonics, I started looking for 0.311 diameter 200gr+ bullets which didn't go well IIRC.  

Again, my decision to cancel the project was based on what I was intending to use it for and what it would cost me to get it to that point.  If your uses would be different, it may be worth it to you.  As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
theres a video on youtube of someone shooting a suppressed sks.  Looked like a new zealander from what I can remember.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Considering the quality of bulk russian ammo and russian weaponry,  I wouln't stick a $1200 can on a $200 rifle to shoot 20 cent ammo.  

Theres a lot that could go wrong there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Jurassic Park test.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#8]
You could have ADCO thread the muzzle...

Probably 1/2x28, and use a QD mount.

I had considered doing this to a Garand, just to piss off purists.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:35:46 AM EDT
[#9]
IMO, it would make a pretty decent host. As noted, you could have someone like ADCO re-thread the barrel. Or have TROS make a thread adapter (I think he charged me $85 to do a 14x1 LH to 1/2-28 for an adapter for my 84S).

It would probably be so-so suppression-wise as a semi auto. But with the gas cutoff engaged, it should make an excellent straight-pull bolt action.

The twist rate won't be optimal for heavy bullets, so you're going to max out around 180 gr or so.

The grenade launcher on the 59/66 looks goofy anyway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

IMO, it would make a pretty decent host. As noted, you could have someone like ADCO re-thread the barrel. Or have TROS make a thread adapter (I think he charged me $85 to do a 14x1 LH to 1/2-28 for an adapter for my 84S).

It would probably be so-so suppression-wise as a semi auto. But with the gas cutoff engaged, it should make an excellent straight-pull bolt action.

The twist rate won't be optimal for heavy bullets, so you're going to max out around 180 gr or so.

The grenade launcher on the 59/66 looks goofy anyway.
View Quote

I think you're right about everything you said but the goofy looking launcher part.  I've thought many times about taking it off and hanging a can or break on the end... But my dream of launching a boxing glove, as a precursor to my battle scream and initial volley of fire in teotwawki, always wins out. Ymmv
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Considering the quality of bulk russian ammo and russian weaponry,  I wouln't stick a $1200 can on a $200 rifle to shoot 20 cent ammo.  

Theres a lot that could go wrong there.
View Quote

Pretty much, and Dante ftw.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep:

The thread pattern is M14x1 RH, not the standard M14x1 LH threads of the AK.  I removed all the barrel hardware (bayonet mount, gas block, etc), pulled the barrel (barrel flats take a 22mm wrench), and sent it to Adco for threading in the standard M14x1 LH AK pattern.  Although I haven't run it with my Ti Phantom yet, I did run it with a SS Phantom.  With the SS Phantom on the end, it's a front-heavy beast.  It's obviously no 300 Blackout, but it takes the noise level down from rifle level to pistol level.

Same gun with my homemade golf ball launcher attached:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top