User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that a joke? Do you seriously not understand after reading that (did you read that) the AAC mounts are hit or miss? You got a ht and it locks up tight? Woo! Good for you buddy!! They must all be like yours!!!!!..... ?

Except that in my post I explain exactly why that is not the case. It's not a question of what your can is like, it's a question of wether it's worth it to gamble on a new one - and on all the 51T cans you'll buy after that (limited selection here on out since AAC won't make new cans on 51T vs new 90T)... ESP considering on other products no gamble is required at all.

But by all means... Please tell us how your AAC can locks up tight, not realizing that's only a single anecdote of a flawed design.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
im no AAC - Apologist, im just stating my personal experience with the said items in question.

like i said,, my sdn6 and sprm4 lock up tight "no wiggle",, and never once have i ever did any modification to any of them...

I like the distinct difference between looking at the AAC mount as an engineer vs a single sampler.

That is, you CAN NOT look at the AAC 51T as an engineer or machinist and make the claim it's going to lock up tight every time. You just CAN NOT. It's got an obvious tolerance stacking issue that is going to mean that no matter how perfect one sample MAY lock up - there are going to be units where tolerances dictate that the can just falls just ever so short of hitting it's next tooth, so it has just shy of 7 degrees but more likely a free 5.25 degrees to rotate (7degrees between teeth, 3.5 to bottom to top, 1/2 of the next tooth that won't be held with any (sheer) tension, 3.5 + 1/2(3.5), equals 5.25). ....  I don't know what the real world average degrees tolerance comes out to, it's something less than 7 but enough to clearly feel if you rotate the can, so if I were to guess, I'd say 2º on average. That's not a GREAT DESIGN.  

It means that some cans will lock up at .0001º after the tooth which is awesome and tight! And it means other cans will lock up with enough to feel wobble. Which is bullshit. This is how the 51T MODIFICATION works... You take off material to allow it to rotate further to the lock just up on the next tooth. But this average means that some people will righteously got to war defending the AAC system as perfect - other people will pretend it doesn't matter their can wobbles - and realists who didn't get the luck of the draw will just modify their mounts to fit better to their can.... No matter what though, with excellent options like the Specwar, Saker, Surefire, there is just no reason to gimp yourself by initially buying in to this design NOW. In 2007/2008 when it came out, yea, it was the best available, now it is not.

AAC's 90T system improves this free rotation maximum by taking 1/2 the play, adding a taper for friction and to perfectly center the can every time (something else the 51T doesn't do well), and I wonder if the latch has been redesigned to further reduce any play, my guess is it has. The issue with the 90T system is there are fine external teeth which can get gunked up or damaged. My guess is the reason Surefire removed their fine external teeth was the same.

http://s9.postimg.org/ywy8r8anj/aac_degrees.png

So.... YES, some AAC 51T cans lock up awesome and that's great. Very quiet cans but have significant blowback/increased cyclic rate. Some AAC 51T cans wobble to the point accuracy is clearly effected. Why anyone would recommend a can with a known design flaw is fucking beyond me. The Specwar locks up tight but I haven't looked to see how it works exactly. The saker and surefire both pull backwards on their mounts making any rotational play nearly impossible, these are far better systems and imo a generation ahead of even the AAC 90T.

AAC makes an great product, but bullshit that the 51T mount is still a good design you should buy start buying into at this point in time.

I have a sdn-6, the can rocks, But the mounts SUCK,
AAC should Ashamed of them salves for making the 51T mounts,

Mine was loose on 9 out of 10 mounts.
I hade a gunsmith mod my mounts to lock up tight.

223dude

My SDN-6 locks up nice and tight.

Is that a joke? Do you seriously not understand after reading that (did you read that) the AAC mounts are hit or miss? You got a ht and it locks up tight? Woo! Good for you buddy!! They must all be like yours!!!!!..... ?

Except that in my post I explain exactly why that is not the case. It's not a question of what your can is like, it's a question of wether it's worth it to gamble on a new one - and on all the 51T cans you'll buy after that (limited selection here on out since AAC won't make new cans on 51T vs new 90T)... ESP considering on other products no gamble is required at all.

But by all means... Please tell us how your AAC can locks up tight, not realizing that's only a single anecdote of a flawed design.

I don't see anywhere in that post where I claimed anything other than "My SDN-6 locks up nice and tight."
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would avoid QD cans for precision shooting anyway. I have 1 thread on can for .308/300 WM and 1 QD for SBRs/ARs (300BLK and 5.56).
Works pretty well.

Explain why.

http://thunderbeastarms.com/forum/threads/why-direct-attach-instead-of-qd-what-about-brake-attach.35/

Right, so I am supposed to believe a generic, broad sweeping statement from Thunderbeast who only makes direct thread suppressors why theirs are the best. Those 'cons' of QD suppressors don't apply to some of the suppressor manufacturers on the market.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Right, so I am supposed to believe a generic, broad sweeping statement from Thunderbeast who only makes direct thread suppressors why theirs are the best. Those 'cons' of QD suppressors don't apply to some of the suppressor manufacturers on the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would avoid QD cans for precision shooting anyway. I have 1 thread on can for .308/300 WM and 1 QD for SBRs/ARs (300BLK and 5.56).
Works pretty well.

Explain why.

http://thunderbeastarms.com/forum/threads/why-direct-attach-instead-of-qd-what-about-brake-attach.35/

They have a brake-mounted version of the 30P-1, and I believe they have some new ones coming out that may be QD.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They have a brake-mounted version of the 30P-1, and I believe they have some new ones coming out that may be QD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Works pretty well.

Explain why.

Brake mounted yes, but it is still a thread on can. No different really.

Yes Zak did say that they have new cans in the works, wonder if they will change their opinions of QD suppressors then so it suits them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the 762SD and like it.  The 18T mounting system is a downside to consider.  

I thought I could use one can on almost every rifle I have, but the 18T mounts are expensive and they don't come in every thread pitch.  

Plus, they are still hard to find even after the panic seems to have subsided as to other rifle parts out there.  Did I mention they cost too much too?

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Works pretty well.

Explain why.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/foghorn/kevin-brittingham-quick-attach-silencers-dead/#more-312447
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
im no AAC - Apologist, im just stating my personal experience with the said items in question.

like i said,, my sdn6 and sprm4 lock up tight "no wiggle",, and never once have i ever did any modification to any of them...

I like the distinct difference between looking at the AAC mount as an engineer vs a single sampler.

That is, you CAN NOT look at the AAC 51T as an engineer or machinist and make the claim it's going to lock up tight every time. You just CAN NOT. It's got an obvious tolerance stacking issue that is going to mean that no matter how perfect one sample MAY lock up - there are going to be units where tolerances dictate that the can just falls just ever so short of hitting it's next tooth, so it has just shy of 7 degrees but more likely a free 5.25 degrees to rotate (7degrees between teeth, 3.5 to bottom to top, 1/2 of the next tooth that won't be held with any (sheer) tension, 3.5 + 1/2(3.5), equals 5.25). ....  I don't know what the real world average degrees tolerance comes out to, it's something less than 7 but enough to clearly feel if you rotate the can, so if I were to guess, I'd say 2º on average. That's not a GREAT DESIGN.  

It means that some cans will lock up at .0001º after the tooth which is awesome and tight! And it means other cans will lock up with enough to feel wobble. Which is bullshit. This is how the 51T MODIFICATION works... You take off material to allow it to rotate further to the lock just up on the next tooth. But this average means that some people will righteously got to war defending the AAC system as perfect - other people will pretend it doesn't matter their can wobbles - and realists who didn't get the luck of the draw will just modify their mounts to fit better to their can.... No matter what though, with excellent options like the Specwar, Saker, Surefire, there is just no reason to gimp yourself by initially buying in to this design NOW. In 2007/2008 when it came out, yea, it was the best available, now it is not.

AAC's 90T system improves this free rotation maximum by taking 1/2 the play, adding a taper for friction and to perfectly center the can every time (something else the 51T doesn't do well), and I wonder if the latch has been redesigned to further reduce any play, my guess is it has. The issue with the 90T system is there are fine external teeth which can get gunked up or damaged. My guess is the reason Surefire removed their fine external teeth was the same.

http://s9.postimg.org/ywy8r8anj/aac_degrees.png

So.... YES, some AAC 51T cans lock up awesome and that's great. Very quiet cans but have significant blowback/increased cyclic rate. Some AAC 51T cans wobble to the point accuracy is clearly effected. Why anyone would recommend a can with a known design flaw is fucking beyond me. The Specwar locks up tight but I haven't looked to see how it works exactly. The saker and surefire both pull backwards on their mounts making any rotational play nearly impossible, these are far better systems and imo a generation ahead of even the AAC 90T.

AAC makes an great product, but bullshit that the 51T mount is still a good design you should buy start buying into at this point in time.

I have a sdn-6, the can rocks, But the mounts SUCK,
AAC should Ashamed of them salves for making the 51T mounts,

Mine was loose on 9 out of 10 mounts.
I hade a gunsmith mod my mounts to lock up tight.

223dude

My SDN-6 locks up nice and tight.

It goes both ways dude, no one was blasting you for your opinion....
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#9]
man i am feeling great about my AAC 762-SDN-6 in jail right now...  awesome!

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too! Oh well I can make work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry.  This always gets way blown out of proportion.  Knowing what I know, I would not have a problem owning an N6.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Don't worry.  This always gets way blown out of proportion.  Knowing what I know, I would not have a problem owning an N6.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
My Sdn6 locks up tight.  I guess I should be pissed anyway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:33:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't need to let one jackass's opinion ruin your good time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:12:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

He's talking about the new 762-SD that AAC has re-released this year. It now uses the 51T mounts, which are readily available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got the 762SD and like it.  The 18T mounting system is a downside to consider.  
I thought I could use one can on almost every rifle I have, but the 18T mounts are expensive and they don't come in every thread pitch.  
Plus, they are still hard to find even after the panic seems to have subsided as to other rifle parts out there.  Did I mention they cost too much too?

He's talking about the new 762-SD that AAC has re-released this year. It now uses the 51T mounts, which are readily available.

OK.  So are those new mounts supposed to work with my original can and will they make it more accurate?  Are they still $99 each?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#16]
If your suppressor was designed for the 18T mount, a 51T mount will not work. I have heard of AAC doing modifications on cans to make them 51T, might be worth it to give them a call and tell them it wobbles a lot and you are worried about a baffle strike, maybe they could hook you up.

I agree with most everyone here, My 51T SD does not lock up that tight, but that does not detriment any aspects of accuracy or suppression for my rifle, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another 51T can.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, some opinion backed up with a technical explanations of WHY the AAC mounts are hit and miss... And other people's opinion with their head in the sand, living off of single anecdotes, and reverting to personal insults.

Madone, if your can has any free rotation because of tolerance to your mount, just modify the mount. It isn't the end of the world, the point is in 2014 it's just entirely unnecessary with competing products.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My 51T MOUNT has caused no issues at all with my 762sdn6 suppressor. I have them on all my AR's.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top