Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2012 4:26:45 PM EDT
Every since I placed an order for the AAC 762 SDN6 (7 months ago) I been reading a lot on here and other places
that people where having a problem about the suppressor not tightly locked and it wiggles.  That made me worry, made me feel like I should have went with some other
brand and how other people where discouraging other potential AAC buyer from buying by telling them that they gonna have a can that will NOT mount up tight and it wiggles.
Well I'm here to input my side. I placed an order for 4 51T muzzle brake (3-308 and 1-5.56) like last 3 wk ago, I installed all of them.  After waiting a day to let the rocksett cure, I wanted
to see if I had any problem, well... I had no problem at all, twisted them on to the last click (no need to 2 man handle muscle it on to catch last tooth) and tried to back it off.
Basically following the direction on mounting.  There is very little, and I mean very very little (not WIGGLE) play, that was expected as per manual.  When I hear wiggle, its like when you twist to the second to
final latch on the mount, now that is what i call wiggle, wiggle left/right/up/down.  For me, there is none, doesn't wiggle left/right/up/down.

Thats all.  Don't let other people discourage you from buying AAC. Not saying that there are no problem, but you will probably only see people that does have a problem post on the internet compare to the
thousands that are happy and don't post that.

ps. "no I'm not a sale rep for AAC"
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Every since I placed an order for the AAC 762 SDN6 (7 months ago) I been reading a lot on here and other places
that people where having a problem about the suppressor not tightly locked and it wiggles.  That made me worry, made me feel like I should have went with some other
brand and how other people where discouraging other potential AAC buyer from buying by telling them that they gonna have a can that will NOT mount up tight and it wiggles.
Well I'm here to input my side. I placed an order for 4 51T muzzle brake (3-308 and 1-5.56) like last 3 wk ago, I installed all of them.  After waiting a day to let the rocksett cure, I wanted
to see if I had any problem, well... I had no problem at all, twisted them on to the last click (no need to 2 man handle muscle it on to catch last tooth) and tried to back it off.
Basically following the direction on mounting.  There is very little, and I mean very very little (not WIGGLE) play, that was expected as per manual.  When I hear wiggle, its like when you twist to the second to
final latch on the mount, now that is what i call wiggle
, wiggle left/right/up/down.  For me, there is none, doesn't wiggle left/right/up/down.

Thats all.  Don't let other people discourage you from buying AAC. Not saying that there are no problem, but you will probably only see people that does have a problem post on the internet compare to the
thousands that are happy and don't post that.

ps. "no I'm not a sale rep for AAC"

That is the kind of wiggle I had with my flash hider. I did the mod. Now it is good to go.

I also have a muzzle brake and it locked up tight with no mod. I think it is luck of the draw with the mounts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My brake locks up tight.  Shrug.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Some users have experienced loosening of their cans on 18t or 51t mounts.
Some users have experienced baffle & end cap strikes as a result.
Some users have received suppressors where the latch wasn't properly heat treated.  The turn around has ranged from several weeks to a few months for this issue.

Does that mean the brand as a whole is flawed?  No - just information to be aware of as an informed consumer.

For me the above issues - along with the denial that the 762SD would ever go to 51t (when it did shortly after, and the denial was an effort to move shelf stock)..... were enough to steer me away.  Ultimately the issue that carries the most weight with me was: Seeing baffle/end cap strikes on a can/barrel combo that were checked & ok'd by AAC & Tornado Tech. The user was not abusing it or using it in a manner outside suggested usage. Can was tightened on as much as possible.  15 rounds into a 30 round mag the damage was done.  On a semi auto, not full auto.

I'm sure there are many users that have great products that perform excellently with 18t & 51t mounts.  I didn't want to gamble with $1000+ that I might be one of a few that received a can with issues. To use Kaik's words as an example - he had to mod his to get a tight fit.  And mounts are "luck of the draw."  With precision gun smithing I just don't see the sense in luck of the draw engineering.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Some users have experienced loosening of their cans on 18t or 51t mounts.
Some users have experienced baffle & end cap strikes as a result.
Some users have received suppressors where the latch wasn't properly heat treated.  The turn around has ranged from several weeks to a few months for this issue.

Does that mean the brand as a whole is flawed?  No - just information to be aware of as an informed consumer.

For me the above issues - along with the denial that the 762SD would ever go to 51t (when it did shortly after, and the denial was an effort to move shelf stock)..... were enough to steer me away.  Ultimately the issue that carries the most weight with me was: Seeing baffle/end cap strikes on a can/barrel combo that were checked & ok'd by AAC & Tornado Tech. The user was not abusing it or using it in a manner outside suggested usage. Can was tightened on as much as possible.  15 rounds into a 30 round mag the damage was done.  On a semi auto, not full auto.

I'm sure there are many users that have great products that perform excellently with 18t & 51t mounts.  I didn't want to gamble with $1000+ that I might be one of a few that received a can with issues. To use Kaik's words as an example - he had to mod his to get a tight fit.  And mounts are "luck of the draw."  With precision gun smithing I just don't see the sense in luck of the draw engineering.

True, I see where you coming from, I don't blame you, I be disappointed to.  Every time I read a thread on AAC vs ??? on which to get or whatever, there seem to always have someone bring up "don't get the AAC, its doesn't lock on tight", that scare off ppl.

I can't speak about the suppressor backing out yet, since I didn't get to shoot it yet.  I just wanted to comment on that I have no wiggle and it has a good lock.
Never know, might back off when I get to shoot it (hopefully not), if it does, you guys will hear me coming here complaining.
Luck of the draw on the mount, maybe, I did order mine fresh when my dealer had none for a while.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the ratio of good to bad for the 51T mounts is 1:4  - the SPR mounts are 1:5
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think the ratio of good to bad for the 51T mounts is 1:4  - the SPR mounts are 1:5

You're saying that there's one good 51T mount out there for every 4 bad ones?

I must be the luckiest sumbitch in the universe then.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That, or he doesn't do ratios very well.

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Had a baffle strike today with my SPR M4 on a 51 T mount...

Unit is built like a tank however and appears to be mainly cosmetic!  End cap is fine, but the sides of the can appear lightly dented from the inside out in three spots abut mid can.  There was a huge amount of carbon particles in the action and on the bolt... rifle of course ran fine.  I didn't discover it until arriving home from the range during cleaning.

No I am not happy, but the unit is not a safe queen either.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah - I've tried 30+ M4-2000 Mounts (work in a gun store) and for every 1 good one there were about 4 bad ones. Not necessarily bad in the sense that they were damaged, but to where you would turn the suppressor all the way and it doesn't completely lock up on the last teeth. Then you back it off one tooth and it has a little bit of wiggle
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]
My 51T with M42000 is tighter than a bull frogs asshole.

Don't fret.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Unit is built like a tank however and appears to be mainly cosmetic!  End cap is fine, but the sides of the can appear lightly dented from the inside out in three spots abut mid can.  There was a huge amount of carbon particles in the action and on the bolt... rifle of course ran fine.  I didn't discover it until arriving home from the range during cleaning.

Who threaded the barrel?

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

me to I have 5 Rifles with a 51T mount

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah no issues with my AAC suppressors yet. Mine all lock up tight and I have several. I'm not worried about it. Too much internet BS out there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unit is built like a tank however and appears to be mainly cosmetic! End cap is fine, but the sides of the can appear lightly dented from the inside out in three spots abut mid can. There was a huge amount of carbon particles in the action and on the bolt... rifle of course ran fine. I didn't discover it until arriving home from the range during cleaning.

Who threaded the barrel?

This is not a threading issue, thousands of rounds through this rifle already.  Mount is also tight (with the wiggle)

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Could be the barrel is so worn it isn't stabilizing the rounds enough. Or cheap ammo itself can sometimes cause baffle strikes. Lot of variables when it comes to baffle strikes. But if it's just an end-cap strike, then it's not too far off. I've noticed the tolerances on AAC suppressors are very tight. Other suppressors have more clearance for the bullets to pass through the suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine wobbled quite a bit at first.

Couple hundred rounds and several on/off mounts later and it finally clicked over. Minimal play now.

I'm happy. To be honest the wobble I has before it locked up tighter didn't bug me either. It was all rotational play. I don't know of that small amount of play would effect a super accurate bolt gun accuracy though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#17]
If there wasn't an inherent issue with AAC's QD mounts, then why is it that they continue to put out a "new and improved" mounting system every couple years. I don't own any, just saying.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If there wasn't an inherent issue with AAC's QD mounts, then why is it that they continue to put out a "new and improved" mounting system every couple years. I don't own any, just saying.

Why are cars/softball bats constantly redesigned?

A. Cause someone will always buy the latest and greatest
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#19]
My dealer had a demo shoot today so I was able to try out my M4-2000 and my SBR upper for the first time:) The both of my uppers have the 51T muzzle brakes and I put the can on as tight as I could then tried to back it off.  It would drop back 1 notch but after that was still really tight so I am not worried about it.  After some usage today I actually couldn't get it to release until after I heated it up again with a few more rounds through it.  Anyone experienced the Rockset loosening up and wanting to unthread the mount instead of the suppressor?
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:07:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying you'd buy the 18 tooth mount over the 51 and 90 tooth mounts then?
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#21]
If I were to do it again, I would buy a Surefire.
(owner of both SF & AAC checking in)
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying you'd buy the 18 tooth mount over the 51 and 90 tooth mounts then?

Well of course not.  The real benefit from constant redesign is an improved and evolved product, any company that doesn't do this is destined to fail.  Hell, even the famed Glock 19 is on gen 4.

Lilmac point was somewhat misdirected.  Yes, people will always buy the new whiz bang gadgetry.  No, it is not exclusively for that sake.  At least, not if the manufacturer is doing his part.

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well of course not.  The real benefit from constant redesign is an improved and evolved product, any company that doesn't do this is destined to fail.  Hell, even the famed Glock 19 is on gen 4.

Lilmac point was somewhat misdirected.  Yes, people will always buy the new whiz bang gadgetry.  No, it is not exclusively for that sake.  At least, not if the manufacturer is doing his part.

At the time the 18T mount was at the pointy end of the spear, and while it has a higher rate of "customer unsatisfaction" than other mounts, there are still plenty of other people with 18T mounts that work and hold up fine.

CMS
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#24]
And like any product, you must take praise and complaint with a grain of salt.

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My 51T with M42000 is tighter than a bull frogs asshole.

Don't fret.

.....and you know this how???

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#26]
My M4-2K locks up tight on my 51T Brakeout and doesn't back off at all...now my M4-1K & M4-2K SM4 backs off a little on my 18T Phantom, Blackout and A1 SOPMOD mounts, but not enough to hurt anything yet.

Wish my 18T's were tighter than a bullfrog's butt-hole though??

teamroper
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 51T mounts on 9 rifles and every single one is different. 2 that lock tight, the rest range from minmal to substantial play.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I have one with slight wobble but it effects nothing and is a 223 FH with a N6. The rest are tight as hell.

I think the most badmouthing of AAC comes from here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#29]
My YHM mounts have rotational play.  If there is no play you have simply torqued it between teeth. After the first few shots it will unscrew smidge until the teeth lock into the valleys.  It doesn't affect my accuracy on my precision rifle.

I have 2 AAC brake mounts but no can yet so I can't compare.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top