Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 5:15:50 PM EDT
I'm starting to ponder a new project. I'm considering getting a CZ527 Carbine rebarreled to 300 BLK and have it threaded for a suppressor. Basically I want a nice, compact, lightweight bolt action rifle, suppressor-ready, for deer hunting, among other uses. I've already asked this in the deer hunting forum, but does anyone have any hunting experience with subsonic loadings of this caliber? How are the terminal ballistics? The vast majority of my shots would be within 150 yards, but I'd like to be able to go out to 250.

Once I'm set up to load .300BLK, I'd like to get a short barreled upper in the same caliber also. That would be way down the road.

Any general comments or advice in general I'd like to hear. I'm also open to other caliber suggestions. I have two CZ527 Carbines, one in each available caliber, the .223 and 7.62x39. Whatever the caliber is, it should be based on one of these.

ETA: Changed half of the thread topic, as part of it was answered.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
300 BLACKOUT is the SAAMI spec.  You want that over the 300 Whisper wildcat chamber.

Also, shooting 300 BLK factory ammo in a wildcat chamber can possibly cause overpressure.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I limit my 7.62x39 ( Ruger 77, 130grain Speer, 2400 fps). Set for 1.5" @ 100yg and is near to 5" to 200yr.
At 1000fps, you BlackBlack won't speed much, but will fall by stone to 100ys, so after watch to 150yd.
You, are rifle weigh with pistol speed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:52:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not this?

This will be available next month from Acusport.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why not this?

Interesting. Any idea of the price?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I suppose it is obvious but none of the current 300 BLK subsonic loadings will be good for hunting.  A SMK at 1050 fps is just going to punch a neat .30" hole in an animal.

Outlaw State Bullets offers 30 cal bullets that expand at subsonic velocities.  I would email them to see what sort of range they recommend if you want to use their product.  100+ yards would seem to be pushing it to me for subs.  Remember that the bullets leave the barrel at only 1050ish fps.

Another option is casting your own bullets which can be as hard or soft as you like for your application based on alloy.  Someone designed at 247 grain bullet casting mold specifically for the 300 BLK.  More info can be found on the Cast Boolits Forum

Everyone will be different based on their preferences and terrain.  Mine are 200 yards max for supersonic hunting and around 75 yards if I ever hunt with subsonic expanding or lead bullets.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I suppose it is obvious but none of the current 300 BLK subsonic loadings will be good for hunting.  A SMK at 1050 fps is just going to punch a neat .30" hole in an animal.

Outlaw State Bullets offers 30 cal bullets that expand at subsonic velocities.  I would email them to see what sort of range they recommend if you want to use their product.  100+ yards would seem to be pushing it to me for subs.  Remember that the bullets leave the barrel at only 1050ish fps.

Another option is casting your own bullets which can be as hard or soft as you like for your application based on alloy.  Someone designed at 247 grain bullet casting mold specifically for the 300 BLK.  More info can be found on the Cast Boolits Forum

Everyone will be different based on their preferences and terrain.  Mine are 200 yards max for supersonic hunting and around 75 yards if I ever hunt with subsonic expanding or lead bullets.

I planned on handloading for this. I'll shoot Outlaw State Bullets an email and see what they say.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not this?

Interesting. Any idea of the price?

MSRP is $899.00  I'd expect street price to be around $800.00.  Acusport's stock number for it is 101265.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, look up Hawk precision. they make a thin jacket bullet that expands at subsonic vel. i think the website is hawkbullets.com
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Kelly at Kyle Armament made me a really nice CZ527 in 300 Whisper a while back. I am sure he is doing them know in 300 Blackout.
I believe he sells just the barrels as well.
Go with the "Blackout" because factory ammo is available and much cheaper then what Cor-bon was selling for, almost half the price.

I took two deer with my 300 Whisper AR upper with 220 grain Cor-Bon ammo and they both went down in short order, one within 10 yards and the other in about 30-40 yards.
Both shots were about 50 yards. It works.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Hornady is now loading 300 Whisper ammo priced the same as the 300 Blackout from Remington.

yay!!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kelly at Kyle Armament made me a really nice CZ527 in 300 Whisper a while back. I am sure he is doing them know in 300 Blackout.
I believe he sells just the barrels as well.
Go with the "Blackout" because factory ammo is available and much cheaper then what Cor-bon was selling for, almost half the price.

I took two deer with my 300 Whisper AR upper with 220 grain Cor-Bon ammo and they both went down in short order, one within 10 yards and the other in about 30-40 yards.
Both shots were about 50 yards. It works.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I see there's another company that sells 527s in 300 Blackout. Only problem is they're heavy barrels and the whole thing is in camo.

I just sent Kyle Armament a message with some questions.

What made you sell yours?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[

Interesting, thanks for the info. I see there's another company that sells 527s in 300 Blackout. Only problem is they're heavy barrels and the whole thing is in camo.

I just sent Kyle Armament a message with some questions.

What made you sell yours?[/quote]

Stupidity! It was a really nice gun. Kelly had the gun ready in a few days after I called but the funny thing was that he and I literally waited months as I tried to find a dealer to transfer it in as my local FFL's are lying losers and never do what they say.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hornady is now loading 300 Whisper ammo priced the same as the 300 Blackout from Remington.

yay!!!

Yep! I picked up a box to try in my 300 Whisper Savage.

Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't rule out 38/357

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top