Site Notices
7/21/2014 6:12:25 PM
Author
Posted: 11/20/2010 4:12:54 PM
I was shooting my Glock 17 with Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit and AAC Pilot and noticed that about 1 in ever 4-5 shots appeared to tumble as it impacted the target. I stripped everything down and checked the alignment. Upon visual inspection I can not see any indication that anything is out of alignment. There are no baffle strikes or end cap strikes. The crazy thing is it only seems to be happening with Remington ammo. I tried CCI standard and CCI subsonic HP ammo and although it wouldn't cycle the action, it didn't tumble either. The downside (beside a potential baffle strike) is the Remington Golden bullet ammo is the only .22 ammo that will cycle the action. I couldn't check to see if the ammo tumbled without the can because of the location I was shooting, but I'll try next time I go to the range. Any suggestions?
Waveform
Contributor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/20/2010 10:12:27 PM
Someone on silencertalk had a Prodigy and Buckmark with tac sol barrel that had bullet tumbling issues. He sent the combo in to AAC and they couldn't figure it out.

My Evo 9 causes a bullet to tumble about once a mag, but I know it is slightly crooked and the bullet is scraping the endcap.

That probably doesn't help, but good luck.
Take me out into the black, Tell 'em I ain't coming back.
Pain
Thugs don't like me
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/21/2010 3:08:41 AM
It might be the ammo. I use to use them all the time, but later switched to CCI.
Remington 22s suck IMHO.
NRA BENAFACTOR MEMBER
Cole2534
I just do whatever I want.
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/21/2010 3:52:17 PM

Originally Posted By Pain:
It might be the ammo. I use to use them all the time, but later switched to CCI.
Remington 22s suck IMHO.

I concur. It has to be the dirtiest, most unreliable ammunition available and it costs more than Federal.

Neither of those qualities directly affect your issue, but (to me) they indicate the overall poor quality of the cartridges.
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
If it will let me get away with sodomy, rum, and the lash on board my ski boat, I'm all for it.

wreckdiver
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/21/2010 4:55:43 PM
Went back to try again and did the masking tape trick on the end of the can. Tried with Federal bulk, CCI standard, and Remington Golden bullet. Shot into a phone book at close to point blank range. All rounds entered sideways. On the masking tape I noticed on each shot the exit hole was near the top of the bore, not dead center. Couldn't detect any visible damage to can, but perhaps the rounds are gently sliding along the baffle stack causing the rounds to destabilize. I had the barrel threaded back in 2006, so I don't think I have a lot of options short of having a new threaded barrel or adapter.
PHD
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/22/2010 7:55:41 AM
Sounds like an alignment issue, possibly with the barrel threading, the adapter, or a stacking error.
Philip H. Dater, MD
35 years in the industry, 17 with GEMTECH
peekay
PostCount++;
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/22/2010 9:24:38 AM

Originally Posted By PHD:
Sounds like an alignment issue, possibly with the barrel threading, the adapter, or a stacking error.

What is a "stacking error"?
There are, however, rules against addressing someone as "fuckface". - John_Wayne777

My first ARFCOM award!
For service above and beyond, I hereby grant to peekay the Grammar Iron Cross. - PAEBR332
rv10flyer
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/22/2010 7:02:50 PM
Just curious, who threaded your barrel or is it from AA? I bought a barrel directly from AA and it has worked well with my Sparrow and Federal Bulk.
yamatitan
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/22/2010 8:08:08 PM
[Last Edit: 11/22/2010 8:08:40 PM by yamatitan]
Originally Posted By peekay:

Originally Posted By PHD:

What is a "stacking error"?

A little misalignment with the barrel thready which normally wouldnt be a problem but then you add that to a adaptor that has a little misalignment which also normally wouldnt have a problem but both together make a problem.
wreckdiver
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/22/2010 9:54:58 PM
Aquila precision. They did my Ruger MKII and 10/22 as well. No issues with the other two. I never noticed the tumble before, but I usually don't shoot into phonebooks several feet away. Worse case is I just pony up the $130 for a factory barrel from Advantage Arms and eat the $150 I spent for the current combo.