Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
So is there a mandatory waiting time when you buy a suppressor?
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 10:31:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DoubleOhAwesome:
So is there a mandatory waiting time when you buy a suppressor?
View Quote

Yes. It's an approval process...which means waiting time for you. And yes, you pay the cost of the suppressor and the $200 tax stamp up front (plus any applicable taxes and transfer fees) and then wait. You are allowed to go "visit" your can and shoot with it if your dealer has a range.

And an additional wait time if you choose to buy from out-of-state and need it transferred to a local dealer first.

To give you an idea...I bought two last year, both in the late Aug/early Sep timeframe, and haven't seen them, yet. Expecting them in the next week or two based on current trends.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a nightmare!
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Kansas allows Suppresors, Machine Guns, SBR's and AOW's for personal ownership.

We also have the "Made in Kansas" bill which allows a resident of Kansas to build a suppressor without using a Form 1 to the ATF. As long as it is for personal use and not for sale. I would not risk that with the ATF and would buy some $200 insurance (Form 1 with $200 Check) to cover my ass. Federal Laws trump State laws so it is better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I'm in Oklahoma. I don't know what our laws are, but if it's going to be that much of a hassle I might just put the money towards a new revolver.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I am new to suppressors and this forum, so I would imagine this question has come up before. I submitted my tax stamp app in April and hopefully will get it soon. My first build will be fairly basic for .243 Win, using 34.3 mm freeze plugs as baffles. QUESTION: Is there a standard or optimum over-drill/clearance for the baffle passage? The clearance or gap between the bullet and the passage or tunnel it travels through? I have been advised that a good standard would be .026 mm gap or over-drill from the actual bullet size = a .269 passage for the .243. I have found two bits that are very close: a letter "I" bit at .2720 giving .029 clearance - or - a "H" bit at .2660 giving .023 clearance.

If this project works well, I plan a later, longer over-barrel .308 suppressor using a 8,5 metric bit at .3346, giving .0266 clearance.

Am also now getting some feedback that this tolerance is way to close --- suggestions that .060 clearance/gap is more to standard????

This is of course a pretty critical part of the build, soooo --- Am I stumbling down the right path here ??
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 8:03:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RPM509] [#7]
If you mailed off your form 1 in April, as an individual, you have a solid 4+ months more to get your stamp.
If you filed on a trust using the eForms, maybe a month more. Waiting times are starting to speed up, but still...

For building from scratch, you can find a lot of information here and over at silencertalk.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By chap660:
I am new to suppressors and this forum, so I would imagine this question has come up before. I submitted my tax stamp app in April and hopefully will get it soon. My first build will be fairly basic for .243 Win, using 34.3 mm freeze plugs as baffles. QUESTION: Is there a standard or optimum over-drill/clearance for the baffle passage? The clearance or gap between the bullet and the passage or tunnel it travels through? I have been advised that a good standard would be .026 mm gap or over-drill from the actual bullet size = a .269 passage for the .243. I have found two bits that are very close: a letter "I" bit at .2720 giving .029 clearance - or - a "H" bit at .2660 giving .023 clearance.

If this project works well, I plan a later, longer over-barrel .308 suppressor using a 8,5 metric bit at .3346, giving .0266 clearance.

Am also now getting some feedback that this tolerance is way to close --- suggestions that .060 clearance/gap is more to standard????

This is of course a pretty critical part of the build, soooo --- Am I stumbling down the right path here ??
View Quote

.060 is pretty standard. People typically use a 3/8" bit for .30 cal freeze plugs because 3/8" bits are so common
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I found this info really useful regarding engraving.

If you are holding an Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm (labeled on the top right of the form), or ATF Form 4 (labeled on the bottom right of the form), then you are not a manufacturer, importer (into the U.S.), or maker of the firearm, thus there is no engraving requirement.  If you are holding an Application to Make and Register a Firearm (labeled on the top right of the form), or ATF Form 1 (labeled on the bottom right of the form), then you are either a manufacturer or maker of a firearm, thus there is an engraving requirement.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:08:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#10]
Originally Posted By thebeekeepr1:
I found this info really useful regarding engraving.

If you are holding an Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm (labeled on the top right of the form), or ATF Form 4 (labeled on the bottom right of the form), then you are not a manufacturer, importer (into the U.S.), or maker of the firearm, thus there is no engraving requirement.  If you are holding an Application to Make and Register a Firearm (labeled on the top right of the form), or ATF Form 1 (labeled on the bottom right of the form), then you are either a manufacturer or maker of a firearm, thus there is an engraving requirement.
View Quote

That's about as basic a bit of info as anybody getting into the NFA world should know. If they don't, they've done themselves a disservice by having done insufficient research before submitting a form.

An F1 is to make (build)...so you're a maker, nothing else. Importing and manufacturing is a whole different ballgame as far as forms, taxes, statutes, etc.
An F4 is to transfer (buy)...so somebody else has already made, manufacturered and/or imported the firearm.

You can even F4 an item made via an F1, and the new owner has no additional engraving requirements.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#11]
New to the suppressor thing here too.  I have a Saker 762 that i am going to put on my Rock River AR.  Do i, should i get an adjustable gas block for it?  Will it shoot fine with out it?   Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if already mentioned, but MI now allows supessors and SBRs/SBSs.  I noticed in the OP it stated we did not, this changed recently.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:30:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: benzo] [#13]
decibels by distance from an older thread.  An example of noise pollution for the shooter and neighbors.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acoustic/isprob2.html

Gunshot  167 dB @ 1m  = 127 dB @ 100m and @ 1000m is 107dB

Gunshot  135 dB @ 1m   = 95 dB @ 100m and @ 1000m is 75 dB (example of a suppressed rifle)

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Minnesota legalized suppressors effective July 1 2015.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Vermont finally legalized suppressors as of July 2nd! http://americansuppressorassociation.com/vermont-becomes-41st-state-to-legalize-suppressors-effective-july-2/
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:04:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#16]
Originally Posted By Milo5:
Remember, Illinois is NOT a suppressor friendly state.
Most Law Enforcement here are NOT well schooled in the legalities of suppressor ownership by average citizens.
Law Enforcement from state level down is NOT allowed to legally possess a suppressor.
Citizens are definately NOT allowed to possess suppressors of any kind.
Have your Ps and Qs in order and know the law if you travel through here with an any other weapon or a suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Milo5:
Remember, Illinois is NOT a suppressor friendly state.
Most Law Enforcement here are NOT well schooled in the legalities of suppressor ownership by average citizens.
Law Enforcement from state level down is NOT allowed to legally possess a suppressor.
Citizens are definately NOT allowed to possess suppressors of any kind.
Have your Ps and Qs in order and know the law if you travel through here with an any other weapon or a suppressor.

Might be helpful for the informational purposes of this thread to know which of the states not listed in a much earlier post

At this time, the following states allow private ownership of silencers:
AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY. Of the sixteen states which do not allow civilian ownership, CA, IA, KS, MA, MO, and MI allow class 3 dealers and class two manufacturers to possess silencers.

have exemptions for law enforcement officers

While its not a popular thing to admit on this site because some people make snarky comments about "some animals blah blah whatever", some states do exempt individual officers from purchase restrictions that apply to non-LEO

edit: based on reading some of the follow up posts, that original list of states needs to be updated

edit:

Since my post generated no replies, I'll start.
NYS Penal law 265,02 is what criminalizes suppressor ownership in NYS

S 265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree.
 A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree when:

(2) Such person possesses any explosive or incendiary bomb, bombshell,
 firearm silencer.....,

PL 265.20 lists exemptions to the above
S 265.20 Exemptions.
  a.  Paragraph  (h)  of  subdivision  twenty-two  of section 265.00 and
 sections 265.01, 265.01-a, subdivision one of section 265.01-b,  265.02,
 265.03,  265.04, 265.05, 265.10, 265.11, 265.12, 265.13, 265.15, 265.36,
 265.37 and 270.05 shall not apply to:
   1. Possession of  any  of  the  weapons,  instruments,  appliances  or
 substances  specified in sections 265.01, 265.02, 265.03, 265.04, 265.05
 and 270.05 by the following:
   (a) Persons in the military service of the state of New York when duly
 authorized by regulations issued by the adjutant general to possess  the
 same.
   (b)  Police  officers as defined in subdivision thirty-four of section
 1.20 of the criminal procedure law.

additional exemptions to the suppressor and other NYS firearms laws at the link
http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article265.htm#p265.04

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By iNuhBaDNayburhood:
A co-worker of mine asked what are some of the disqualifiers for purchasing / owning a suppressor?

Particularly he was curious if having a DUI on his record from ~10 years ago would affect his ability to purchase one?

I suspect it may be like many "normal" firearm purchase laws where you cannot have a Felony or a Gross Misdemeanor Domestic Abuse type conviction.

What is the official stance on purchase / ownership disqualification?

I had no idea because I have a very clean background.
View Quote

My buddy had a DUI approx. 2.5yrs ago. No issues passing a 4473 or NFA purchases.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know if OP is still being updated or not, but Kansas does allow private ownership of suppressors.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

Fixed it...or at least I assume I did. I moved KS from the second group to the first. Is that the place you saw it?
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Ashraam:

I don't know if OP is still being updated or not, but Kansas does allow private ownership of suppressors.

Fixed it...or at least I assume I did. I moved KS from the second group to the first. Is that the place you saw it?

That's it, thanks!

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:35:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#22]
Originally Posted By grndy27:
Im not trying to be a smart ass or anything. But why are supressors so damn expensive?? I mean its essentially like a muffler for a car. and those cost less than $100.
View Quote

Nvm
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Iowa is now Suppressor friendly. Whoowhoo

You can change the first page now
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:47:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#24]
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#25]
If my suppressor requires a form 3, can the local dealer send off a form 4 before they have physical possession of the silencer?
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 7:44:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#27]
I would like someone to talk more about how the supressor actually attaches to the barrel. The FAQ made it sound like additional threading had to be done by a local machinist. A person cannot just buy a threaded barrel? How do QD attachments work?

Use this an an example. A person buys a stock handgun (Glock 17, H&K USP .40, take your pick), and a can. What must happen next to connect the two? Please show pics if possible.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:08:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#28]
Originally Posted By Bale2011:
I would like someone to talk more about how the supressor actually attaches to the barrel. The FAQ made it sound like additional threading had to be done by a local machinist. A person cannot just buy a threaded barrel? How do QD attachments work?

Use this an an example. A person buys a stock handgun (Glock 17, H&K USP .40, take your pick), and a can. What must happen next to connect the two? Please show pics if possible.
View Quote

Unless it's a suppressor ready model, you have to buy a threaded barrel. 87% of the time, it's plug and play switching. My 1911 barrel was semi fit
Check lone wolf, silencerco, barsto, storm lake, and KKM.
For one off scenarios, a gunsmith can make a custom extension for your barrel or in the base of a like a beretta 92, just thread the extended portion

This is my beretta

Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:15:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a question.

User serviceable.

Why would you buy one that isn't? No good options?

I am waiting for my first can, so I am not trying to be a know-it-all, but at this point in history shouldn't they all be user serviceable? It should also be listed at the top of the info right under the caliber.

Right?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#31]
For most centerfire rifle applications it's unnecessary. And serviceability often adds weight.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glittenstein:
I have a question.

User serviceable.

Why would you buy one that isn't? No good options?

I am waiting for my first can, so I am not trying to be a know-it-all, but at this point in history shouldn't they all be user serviceable? It should also be listed at the top of the info right under the caliber.

Right?
For most centerfire rifle applications it's unnecessary. And serviceability often adds weight.
Ah ok thank you.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#32]
What’s the life expectancy of a stainless vs Iconel baffle stack in a rifle, assuming 16”+? I understand sbrs are rough on cans but wondering if Stellite is always the way to go for centerfire rifle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JustPlainT:
What’s the life expectancy of a stainless vs Iconel baffle stack in a rifle, assuming 16”+? I understand sbrs are rough on cans but wondering if Stellite is always the way to go for centerfire rifle.
View Quote
A lot of the time, Stellite and Inconel are used for the blast baffle, the first baffle in the stack. That baffle takes the brunt of the damage, so the stronger the better. Past that, a lot of companies use stainless and it holds up fine. If you plan on using it mostly on 16"+ guns, I wouldn't worry about stainless baffles with an inconel or stellite blast baffle at all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Bale2011:

View Quote
Buy threaded barrel.  Install barrel. Screw pistol to can.  Shoot.

Attachment Attached File

Threaded barrel
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By goalieMN:

Buy threaded barrel.  Install barrel. Screw pistol to can.  Shoot.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/357367/IMG_20180818_091317769-644651.JPG

Threaded barrel
View Quote
No Neilson device?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#36]
4 pages of reading and this one hasn't been addressed, nor is it covered on ATF.gov.

I live in a suppressor legal state, TX, but am considering a move to another state, CO or MT, also suppressor legal. What happens if I end up moving before approval of the Form 4?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By gsc0527:
4 pages of reading and this one hasn't been addressed, nor is it covered on ATF.gov.

I live in a suppressor legal state, TX, but am considering a move to another state, CO or MT, also suppressor legal. What happens if I end up moving before approval of the Form 4?
View Quote
1. Pick up suppressor once approved, assuming you’re technically that states resident still at that time. I believe most states give you 6months to change over residencies.

2. You’re a resident of the new state officially. Form 4 gets cancelled, get you’re $200 back and start the process over in the new state.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JustPlainT:
What's the life expectancy of a stainless vs Iconel baffle stack in a rifle, assuming 16"+? I understand sbrs are rough on cans but wondering if Stellite is always the way to go for centerfire rifle.
View Quote
Depends.  Depends on the rate of fire, how hot you get the can, the design of the blast baffle, the ammo, lots of things.

I've got carbon steel cans that have lasted thousands of rounds just fine because they only get used on a bolt gun and the blast baffle was specifically designed not to wear or peen.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#40]
While I'm waiting in limbo,  can I have my suppressor transferred from one dealer to the next?  My shop just acquired their SOT and it's closer than the one I'm currently using for transfer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Ok.  Thank you for the information.  At this point I’m not sure what to do.  I guess keep waiting.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By LongTrang:
Ok.  Thank you for the information.  At this point I’m not sure what to do.  I guess keep waiting.
View Quote
Keep waiting is all you need to know.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:48:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PFC_FMJ] [#44]
A couple questions...

Existing sealed aluminum 22LR can - what is the best cleaning method? Radiant556 idea sounds great, but it doesn’t seem like he likes it for aluminum.

New .30 cal can. Will be primarily used on 5.56 10.5-16” BBLs. If the can is threaded 5/8, and I use a break/flash hider as a mount - is the 5/8 thread on the muzzle device? Are the muzzle devices proprietary to the cans?

Also, what material would you recommend for the new can? I’m a little concerned about aluminum with the muzzle pressure and potentially stripping threads. I’d love to keep the weight down though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PFC_FMJ:

New .30 cal can. Will be primarily used on 5.56 10.5-16” BBLs. If the can is threaded 5/8, and I use a break/flash hider as a mount - is the 5/8 thread on the muzzle device? Are the muzzle devices proprietary to the cans?

Also, what material would you recommend for the new can? I’m a little concerned about aluminum with the muzzle pressure and potentially stripping threads. I’d love to keep the weight down though.
View Quote
If the can is listed as 5/8x24, that means it has a direct thread mount and you have to remove any existing brake/FH and screw the can directly onto the threaded muzzle.  If you want to use a brake/FH as a mount, you have to replace the direct thread adapter with the adapter for the mount.  There is some cross compatibility with mounts between companies, but some are still proprietary.

I don’t think you’ll find a can rated for 10.5” 5.56 made out of aluminum.  As a minimum, the tube and baffles are going to be stainless steel.  Some may have titanium baffles to keep the weight down.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 4:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#46]
Originally Posted By DoubleOhAwesome:
I just got off the phone with someone at the silencer shop and they told me the Saker made by Silencer Co. is better than the Sure Fire. He said it's just as accurate, reduces the noise more, is easier to put on, and is $850 with a mount! Is the Saker really better??? Because that's great deal.
View Quote
Yes. But you should be asking what is the best can for your needs and hosts.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:24:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#48]
New to the forum and almost a suppressor owner but need some guidance.  I was living in Alaska and purchased a suppressor and sent in my form 4 through my local NFA dealer.  While I was waiting for the form to be approved life happens and I had to move for my job to another NFA friendly state.  But, before I moved my form was approved and I hoped it would arrive prior to me having to leave the state.  So now my approved stamp and suppressor are in AK and I am in Colorado.  So what is the easiest wind quickest way for me to get the can?  Can my AK dealer ship it to a local dealer in CO and he transfer it to me?  I’m hoping I don’t have to start the process all over after having to wait so long once already.  Appreciate any ideas.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been thinking about dipping my toes in the pool. I read through and didn't see anything on this. Is it correct that there aren't any yearly hassles such as renewals, phone calls, etc. associated with owning suppressors (or SBR's)? It's just a one and done thing... and make sure you keep your paperwork handy?

Thanks.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top