Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2002 1:20:38 PM EDT
I just bought a Russian M44 Carbine and it is covered in Cosmoline.  I heard that I should use WD40.  What is the best cleaner? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I've cleaned three of them using Coleman lantern fuel. Long wallpaper trays work well for a tub.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I detail strip the rifle and use carburetor cleaner on the metal scrubed with a bristle brush. Clean off carb cleaner with brake cleaner. For wood, I use acetone, MEK or 111 tricloroethane with another bristle brush (nylon/plastic brushes will melt). The idea is to NOT wash the cosmo/oil deeper into the wood. Hafta do this outside, with gloves and be sure to stay upwind of your work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I just go out with my shooting buddies, and tell them they can shoot it if they clean it.

I get a sparkling clean gun back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Just heat it with a hair dryer and wipe it off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Small parts, I boil in water and dawn dishwashing liquid. Slough off the greasey shit when it floats to the top. Do this outside on your crawfish boiling setup. If you don't have a crawfish boiling setup then, mais cher how you gonna boil dem crawfish like dat, huh? The bigger parts I heat up over the open flame and it runs off like wax. Don't over heat and ruin the temper on your parts. Wipe it with a shiload of paper towels before it cools and you will get most of it. Then the little bit thats left can be removed with WD,MEK,Ardrox,mineral spirits, etc. Bon chance, (good luck).
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Gunscrubber, rags and elbowgrease.
Works for me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everybody.  My wife didn't like my comment about sticking the rifle in the dishwasher, I guess I'll try the WD40 since I have that.  --Listen2
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]
take it to the car wash turn on the high pressure washer turn it to degreasser and have fun.  just remember to oil it afterwards.  no shit really works
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
www.milsurpshooter.com has a forum on this that is very informative.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Acetone disolves cosmoline almost instantaneously, and also has the advantage of evaporating very quickly. It doesnt seem to have as much odor as carb cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
take it to the car wash turn on the high pressure washer turn it to degreasser and have fun.  just remember to oil it afterwards.  no shit really works

heh... I bet you get some funny looks. Tell them you're washing the fingerprints off it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used WD-40 and carb cleaner to clean metal.  When it came to wood, I would wipe the major goop off, then place the stock in the sun.  The heat of the sun would cause the cosmo to pool on the surface, then wipe it off.  After a while, the finish would start to stiffen up.  Also, firing the rifle created heat and caused cosmo to "sweat" from the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top