Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 1/18/2002 12:31:06 AM EDT
OK I know this is going to be a stupid question to most of you but why cant I insert a loaded mag into a bushmaster AR15 with the bolt closed. I wanted to keep it with a mag loaded but without one in the chamber but I found that this was imposible. If I cannot keep it this way how should I keep it? Round in safty on, or magizine out? tHanks for any help you can give.

Talon_G32
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:39:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2002 12:40:24 AM EDT by Gloftoe]
What kinda magazine is it? If its a Thermold, you'll probably need to open the bolt, insert the (unloaded) mag, and close the bolt. Then work it (the bolt) back and forth a few times to shave off the extra plastic off the feed lips. If its a USGI mag, maybe the feed lips are bent (too far up?) If its an after-market steel mag, run over it with your car and buy USGI or Thermold.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:51:40 AM EDT
Just give it a good smack. All fully loaded 30 rounders will "resist" being fully inserted due to spring tension & 30 rounds against the bottom of the bolt carrier. I actually notice it more w/ USGIs than I do Thermolds, but that's just me. If you are using Thermolds, be sure to follow Gloftoe's advice & break them in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:11:06 AM EDT
Also make sure you haven’t overloaded the magazine. The rounds have to be able to depress slightly when you seat the mag with the bolt forward.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:33:16 AM EDT
I agree with 199. It's a good idea to load maybe 28 rounds in a 30 round mag for the reason of it not seating and just that one or two rounds less helps keep your spring feeding more reliably.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:41:52 AM EDT
Thanks for the tips. I should have mentioned, it is the original 10 rnd. Mag that came from bushmaster. I have heard that bushmaster uses 30 rounders cut down for there 10 round mags. This seems likely because it has a bend like a USGI 30, where as other 10 rounds mags that I have seen are straight. Given this info do you still think it is just the mag being to full? Should I load 9 instead of 10? This is a SHTF backup incase the Glock is not enough. A few USGI 30's will be coming soon. But until then I would like to have something in it.

Talon_G32
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:11:44 AM EDT
All the thermolds I have function fine in my Bushy. The stock 10 rounder from Bushy will have a stiff spring. I kept mine loaded for a month or 2 emptying it when I went to the range but filling it right away and keeping it loaded at home. It's fine now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:23:09 AM EDT
My bushy does the exact same thing. You just have to give the mag a sharp smack to seat it. With the bolt open, it clicks right in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:49:38 PM EDT
you're gong to use a pos bm mag for shtf? i have one and i've had a couple ftf problems with it. i'd get a 20rd mag instead-not USA brand of course..if shtf i'd want the most reliable thing i could have.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:20:37 PM EDT
LOL he said he's working on a few more USGI. He probably dropped a bundle on the AR and is recouping...although even though I spent alot on mine I couldn't help walking out with a thermold after I paid for the gun.
Top Top