Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2002 6:24:12 PM EDT
I have a Raging Bull in 454 Casull with the 8" barrel. I have it sighted pretty well at 25 yards(4 inch group) but, all of the sudden it will seem way off! I first thought that it was me but, the rear sight has an eigth inch of play in it side to side! It is obviously because the rear sight is cranked all the way up but, that's where I need it to be! What the hell should I do?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried any different loads for the pistol? Why do you have the rear sight cranked all the way up, what deviation are you trying to correct?
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure the answer to your question, but was hoping you could answer mine.I have a raging bull and the cyclinder seems to have about .007-.01 play in it does yours have play also .I hav'nt had time to take to gunsmith to check it . It's new and unfired .The play is side to side .
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to get your rear sight back down where it belongs. The higher it is the more side play you will have....which I'm sure your already aware of.A rule of thumb is a taller FS=lower impact, shorter FS=higher impact.

Heres how to correct it.

Example:

A pistol with a sight radius of 6" is hitting 2" low at 25ys. Convert yards to inches and we have 2/900=c/6,  "c" is the correction to to the front sight. Mulitiply both sides by 6 and we get 6x2/900=c. The amount we have to remove off the top of the front sight is .013

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my funnier gun moments.... A friend and I were in a local range when he noticed that a Raging Bull (.44 Mag) was labeled as a "Ragging Bull".  We pointed it out to the owner, and had a great laugh.  He left it labeled that way, as he thought the name was even _more_ descriptive :)
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Guys! I have tried different loads. They are all pretty close. I usually shoot the CorBon 300gr. flat points. The reason I do have the ramp so high is because that's where it has to be at 25 yards. Smoken 44, I actually thought of trimming down the front sight but I wasn't sure that it would be the best policy. But I guess it will only be worse at longer yardage if I don't. I have a new Taurus scope mount that I tried with a cheap-ass BSA red dot sight but, I was all over the paper at twenty yards! I don't know if it was the scope or the mount. It was probably the scope but I don't know how much I like that mount either! Has anyone tried one?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top