Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2002 4:41:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am seriously considering buying one of those little P22 Walthers that I've started noticing at the Gun Shows.

Came within a whisker (you've seen me!) of buying one this very afternoon at the Mesquite Big Town Gun Show! Schramm's had it for $299.00! Not bad, IMHO.

Talk me out of it, or tell me what you think of the Walther P22. Or anything you've heard about them.

BTW, it's the 'compensated' version. That's all that seem to be available!

Here's the website: www.carl-walther.de/englisch/defense/defense-53.html

Thanks, you guys!

Eric The(Yeah,LikeINeedAnother.22Pistol!)Hun

Eric,
by all accounts a good pistol and an excellent pistol for the money.
The best price I've seen is $278.00 posted by a dealer on ar15.com.

Best of luck in avoiding this purchase.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
personally, id wait till the short version. i think i can manage a .22 w/o a compessator.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Post from 5subslr5 -

Best of luck in avoiding this purchase.

I know what you mean, but, truthfully, have you ever been able to avoid buying something once you've got it in your mind that you need it?

I haven't.

Eric The(AndI'mTooOldToStartLearning)Hun

No, and that was my point.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I pcked one up last week. The only version that i have seen is the  one with the 5" barrel and the fake comp to cover the extended barrel. The shorter barrel conversion should be available soon. I am very happy with it. It comes with 2 interchangable backstraps(I didnt feel too much of a difference between them). Also comes with 2 mags, one of which has a pinky extension on it. Put about 200rds through it without a hitch. I think you will be happy with it.Good luck...                                                                                                                                                                                           TRAIN THE WAY YOU FIGHT..........
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Go For It.   I got one about a month ago at a gunshow for $299.00.  It shoots better then my bull barrel 10/22.  It is not actually a compensator hanging on the front, but rather a stablizer.  It actually tightens onto a barrel sleeve and braces against the dust cover.  The case foam has a cut out in it for the shorter barrel when they become available.  

Plus it has the same general ergonomics as the P99 so you can get lots of cheap practice.

-Confusion
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I kind of like it. It is smaller than most .22 pistol. But it has a cool appearance. Too bad I could not fire it. The store was completely out of them in stock.
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Well my local range has them - I shot one with the owners wife - to be honest it fit her hands much better (and she did better) - it is a lot smaller (grips wise) than the P99, and I was disappointed.  The exposed hammer dropping seemed to make the small gun nosedive (this might have been psychological- as it did not appear on paper) - I am a BHP, Kimber, and SIG shooter so it was not being unused to a hammer.

I think it is a great Wife/GF gun though if they do not like fullbore.

Link Posted: 1/13/2002 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#12]
The P-22 is just so cute, I am really tempted to pick one up.  But then I don't really see the need for a "combat" .22 pistol.

If it were the same size as the P99 I could at least see the argument for using it as a training pistol.

I seem to recall it going for $270 or so at my local gun show.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a P22 a couple weeks back for $280.

It's a great little pistol and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Does anybody know when the short barrel will be available, or where to get it?  

My only complaint so far is that you need tools to remove the stabilizer, and you have to remove it to field strip the gun. This isn't a big deal, since it's not exactly a combat/SHTF type of pistol, but it's a little annoying. Overall, I have to say..... BUY, BUY, BUY !!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I had one coming....Already paid for it in full.
Mine come with 6 mags and the short barrel kit. (The short barrel is in back order at the moment, the dealer said that it will be here middle of January from the factory). Can't wait.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I finally found one for sale in one of the local gun shops on Saturday and, after a brief look, reached for the credit card.
With one exception the pistol feels good in the hand and the fit and finish are excellent.  Feeding and cycling were flawless out of the box with Federal Target, CCI standard velocity and Stingers, for a total of 200 rounds with NO problems.  Sights were regulated to point of aim, with some vertical stringing depending on the load used.  After about 50 rounds, if I released the slide with the slide release after a mag change the top round would get hung up on the feed ramp.  This occurred with the exposed lead bullets of both the CCI and Federal, but not with the plated bullets of the Stinger rounds.  If I drew back the slide and let it go instead of just pressing the slide release the top round never failed to load and in any case the subsequent rounds in the magazine would load and fire without a hitch.  Accuracy was just OK at about 3 to 4 inches at 50 feet for a 10 shot group.  While I’m not a particularly good shot, the trigger didn’t help any and I’ll speak more about that further down, but for now let me say that when everything worked the pistol was much more accurate than this.  Two magazines are supplied, one with a pinky rest floorplate and one with a flat floorplate.  They appear well made and are much easier to load than the Ruger.  The pistol also comes with an interchangeable backstrap for adjustment to the way the gun sits in your hand and a small plastic bag full of wrenches, front sight blades (varying heights and easily swapped out) and a small plastic rod used in the re-assembly process.  Don’t lose this bag!
Two things stood out for me with this pistol on the down side.  The first is the trigger.  On the example I have the trigger feels like a two stage target trigger, albeit a heavy one.  As such, there is a small amount of take up and then a definite point at which the trigger “stages”, ready to fire.  A small amount of additional pressure after this point and the pistol fires.  This would be great if it was consistent, but it’s not.  Every so often, with no noticeable staging point, the pistol fires, for me at least guarantying a flyer.  I’ve only shot my pistol and have no idea if every one is like this, but it is annoying.  The second issue is a small lip molded into the rear of the pistol.  This is at the very tail end of the frame, sitting in the web of your shooting hand.  I have fairly large hands and this little protrusion ends up riding the first joint on my thumb.  By the time I had fired my two hundredth round it was most definitely sore to the touch.  I think a little work with some sandpaper will take care of this, much as I hate to ruin the finish.  
Over all I really like this pistol.  I believe I can fix the things that bother me with it and it has a lot of things I really, really like. The interchangeability of barrels adds flexibility to the design, as well as the fact that the pistol is easily suppressed.  If you are into options, a scope mount is available as well.  Priced around $300.00 for the basic target model, it’s size and weight just plain feel good.  It is utterly reliable and more than reasonably accurate.  One of the reasons I like the AR series is because with the swapping of a few simple parts the rifle can be reconfigured to better suite the task or the individual.  The little Walther P22 fits that same model and, frankly, I just plain like it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top