Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2002 9:25:06 PM EDT
Does anyone else have to FL size their brass?

I am working on my first batch of reloads for my PSS, and I ran across a bit of a problem.

I neck sized my once fired Fed. Gold Match brass that I fired, It seems that the shoulder is a bit large and its very hard to close and open the bolt with these reloads.  

And I looked at the brass after getting them out of the chamber, there were rub marks on the brass...  Since this is hard to explain I put up a drawing to explain a bit better...

I hilighted the area I am having the problem in red, the red arrows show where I took my measurements.

Factory spec is .454
Mine is .457 after firing, and same after neck sizing.
Full lenth resize puts me at .452, and they eject fine.
unfired is at .449

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
How far down are you neck sizing?  Sounds like you are going past the neck and into the shoulder.

Or are you saying that if you pull a spent case out of the chamber, I will not feed right back in.

As far as the marks, are they being scratch in the chamber, or at the front of the feed tray?

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How far down are you neck sizing?  Sounds like you are going past the neck and into the shoulder.

Or are you saying that if you pull a spent case out of the chamber, I will not feed right back in.

As far as the marks, are they being scratch in the chamber, or at the front of the feed tray?

I have the die set just about to the shell holder, if I raise it, you can see that it doesn't size the entire neck then.

Yes, Brass that I fired (up until about 3 weeks ago when I put everything away for the winter), is tight going back into the same rifle.

The scratchs don't seem like something in the chamber, looks kindof like if you took about a 800grit sandpaper and made a very mild abrasion on the case.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the die set just about to the shell holder, if I raise it, you can see that it doesn't size the entire neck then.

I size only about 3/4 down the neck.  Use lamp black to see how far.  Part of the reason is to keep from having this problem.  You might try to partial resize a few cases and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Throw that damn neck sizer away and listen very, very closely.  Get a good FL die - Redding, RCBS, Forster.  I prefer Redding.  Next, screw the die down into the press until it contacts the  top of the ram, then back it out one turn.  Take a fired round, lube it, and smoke the shoulder area with a match or candle, get it good and black.  Run the case up into the die, look at the smoked area; if you don't see a ring in the middle of the shoulder down to the brass, turn the die down in another 1/8 turn and repeat.  Continue until the brass comes out of the die with a clean ring just through the soot down to the brass in the middle of the shoulder.  The ring must be to the brass, not just smudging the soot.  When you have that result, lock the die ring and don't change it.  End of problems forever.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Throw that damn neck sizer away and listen very, very closely.  Get a good FL die - Redding, RCBS, Forster.  I prefer Redding.  Next, screw the die down into the press until it contacts the  top of the ram, then back it out one turn.  Take a fired round, lube it, and smoke the shoulder area with a match or candle, get it good and black.  Run the case up into the die, look at the smoked area; if you don't see a ring in the middle of the shoulder down to the brass, turn the die down in another 1/8 turn and repeat.  Continue until the brass comes out of the die with a clean ring just through the soot down to the brass in the middle of the shoulder.  The ring must be to the brass, not just smudging the soot.  When you have that result, lock the die ring and don't change it.  End of problems forever.

I willl give this a try, thanks. I am using Redding dies.  It's safe to think that this isn't an out of the ordinary thing to happen?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top