Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2002 3:03:25 PM EDT
Hi Everyone,

I am new to AR-15's and is interested in building an 24" Target/Varminter type AR-15 rifle for accuracy.  I have a stripped lower receiver and will need a complete kit.  My question is if I should go with the Bushmaster Varminter (everything but the stripped lower) or should I get a Wilson 24" SS fluted barrel + RRA parts & 2 stage jeweled trigger?

I want something that is reliable and accurate.  I have heard good things about Bushmaster and RRA but don't know what the "ultimate" 24" target/varminter type AR-15 combo would be.  I am also looking at the J&T 24" kit.  Any idea which option would be best?  

Here are some of the options that I would like to have:  

24" fluted barrel (1x9 twist? Bushmaster or Wilson barrel?)
Floating handguard
A3 Flat Top
Jeweled Trigger (RRA or Georgia Arms?)
Harris bi-pod
Tactical grip?

Thanks for the help in advance.

George
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the varminter barrel cromed?
I think all bushmasters are exept the DCM model.

I prefer crome-lined, but for max accuracy you should go stainless or crome-moly.
The rest sounds good, I would wait on the bipod. I like mine, but lots of people don't like them.
Try the rfle without it and then if you fell like you need it, get one.

Edited to say J&T has a nice kit for about $850 that has everything you might want.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I will be buying the bushy as soon as I dig up enough bones.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help guys.  I really like the Bushmaster Varminter, I think it is chrom moly steel barrel but I don't know about the chrom-lining?

I like the stainless barrel & the fluting for purely the "look"  I have NEVER FIRED A RIFLE before so I can't speak from any experience.  I am a complete NEWBIE so you guys will have to bare with me if I sound stupid or ask stupid questions.  I don't know which is better or more accurate between the stainless & the chrome-lined?  

Are Wilson barrels any good?  I am also debating if I should get the jewelled trigger from Georgia Precision? or the RRA NM 2 stage trigger?  

The J&T kit looks nice but don't know how it compares to the Bushmaster Varminter.  I think the price between the two, J&T and bushmaster varminter (complete kit...no stripped lower) is about the same from the pricing info I got from bushmaster & the J&T website.  There may be a $100 or so difference.

Anybody got a J&T Match-15 Bull Kit?

George
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Where in Kalifornia do u live?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm LA area, trying to build one of those new CA legal rifles on the FAB-10 receiver from gogogadgets.net with a fixed mag...I know it is not a real "AR-15" but it is as close as we can get here.

I checked with DOJ & BATF and got the "OK" for building on the FAB-10 so I am excited but don't have ANY experience.  I have an engineering background but can't tell a rifle from an scale ruler to save my life. :)  

Okay, maybe not that bad but I am new...learned a lot from reading through hundreds of posts on various fourms and hoping to do this right the first time around and avoid the newbie mistakes.  Nothing like first hand experience and a good instructor though.

George
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Just curious, where did you purchase your fab-10 lower?  I'm up here in the bay area, and all the FFL's around here seem to think that it is illegal in CA (as it is an AR type).  Please advise...
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
jack,

Don't get me started about the FFL's and local gun shop guys here in CA.  Half of them don't know what they are talking about and have less knowledge of the CA gun laws than a newbie like me.  I got so many different answers from people that I finally decided to call the DOJ and BATF special weapons devision? in DC myself and they all confirmed that the FAB-10 is approved and is not an AW because it does NOT have DETACHABLE MAG.  All the AW bans are on guns with detachable magazines and since the FAB-10 doesn't allow you to have a detachable mag you are fine.  I think there is a thread on this fourm about this.

If you or somebody else who are also interested in this receiver would call the DOJ & BATF to confirm this that would be great too.  You can never get too many confirmations when it comes to something like this.  I wrote down the names of every person I spoke to.  I even called each of the agencies twice just to be sure.  

You can buy the lower receiver from Craig directly by going to his website gogogadgets.net and emailing him.  I just orded it about a week or two ago and the lower receivers should be shipping to my local FFL dealer in about 2 weeks...I hope.  

George
Link Posted: 1/13/2002 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Darn glad I don't live in CA. Guess if I did, I'd accept the limitations like the rest of the folks there. Still, I wonder how you got so many restrictions. Were all the voting gun owners sleeping on elcetion day. Maybe there's a big lesson in that for the rest of the States. Read the ballot and the proposed legislation, see what is being hidden in the volumes of legal BS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top