Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 1/11/2002 2:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2002 2:19:51 PM EDT by schapman43]
I would like an ar with a barrel shorter than 16". Is it possible to put a short barrel upper with no bayonette lug and flash suppressor on a post ban lower if I register it as a SBR? Where would I start looking for an upper? Also would I be able to have the barrel threaded for a silencer in the future?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:45:46 PM EDT
yes u can reg a post ban as a sbr as long as the gun still complyus with the 94 crime bill. u cant have a silencer on a post ban becouse atf consideres it to also be a flash hider
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 4:54:36 PM EDT
So there is no way to put a silencer on the AR unless its pre-ban?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:04:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cyrax777:
yes u can reg a post ban as a sbr as long as the gun still complyus with the 94 crime bill. u cant have a silencer on a post ban becouse atf consideres it to also be a flash hider

If you register it as a SBR it is NFA FIREARM and the crime bill DOESN'T INCLUDE NFA FIREARMS. IF I read the law correctly. Contact the ATF to be sure.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:32:44 PM EDT
If it's a post ban it still can't have the evil features. My Form 1 in the "Approved" box statesWith the following conditions, if any: The manufacture, transfer, and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons must be in compliance with 18 USC 922(v).
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:12:03 PM EDT
as far as i understand it...

if it is a MACHINE GUN then the pre/post ban deal doesnt apply because it no longer falls under the "semi-automatic" clause. since the SBR is still semi all rules, however stupid, apply
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:10:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By schapman43:
So there is no way to put a silencer on the AR unless its pre-ban?

Correct. Even though a SBR is an NFA item, the R in SBR still means it's a rifle and subject to all the post-ban rifle limitations.

Machine guns aren't considered rifles because they can fire more than once with a single pull of the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:04:50 AM EDT
What is the current price for the SBR "stamp"? $200/00?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:43:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By slidelock1:
What is the current price for the SBR "stamp"? $200/00?

$200.00 is correct.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:16:25 AM EDT
"I would like an ar with a barrel shorter than 16".

Check your state laws.

"Is it possible to put a short barrel upper with no bayonette lug and flash suppressor on a post ban lower if I register it as a SBR?"

No.

"Where would I start looking for an upper?"

Just about all of the AR15 manufacturers make some sort of a SBR upper.

"Also would I be able to have the barrel threaded for a silencer in the future?"

Post-ban = No.

You could take a post-ban AR15 and register it as a SBR (state laws allowing) and then install some sort of a non-threaded silencer on it and register it.
Of course you would have to pay for two tax stamps, one for the SBR and one for the silencer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 7:30:03 AM EDT
USNJoe see cyrax777's post above. The only way you could put a suppressor on a post-ban is to get rid of the pistol grip.
Top Top