Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2002 12:41:03 PM EDT
I'm considering the purchase of a DPMS 20" bull barrel upper on e-bay. My question is since it has no bolt or carrier, will any new bolt and carrier work or does it have to be custom headspaced. I'm no gunsmith so I don't know much about this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Any old bolt and carrier should work.  Most people will tell you that headspacing is a myth...
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Purchased a DPMS Bull 24 upper. Made the choice to have the bolt carrier assy included. Any old bolt should do is not as comforting as this bolt assy installed by manf. Called DPMS and asked them if my bolt car. assy from BM or Armalite would work, "it should" they said. I wanted to hear "IT WILL" So I paid for "It will."  Still, the tolerances should make the any bolt concept workable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I still say it is a myth and a waste of money.

You could spend that money for a guage on something much more useful.  

If you believe that a company's saying "it should" isn't a way to just get your money, then you need to have your head examined.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Headspacing is not a myth. Two ways to get everyone on this board riled up...mention that place in Illinois, or mention headspacing. Yea, I used to think the same. Until I ran into my worst barrell. Probably would haveblown up. The government spends millions of buckson research, you think they headspace just for fun? My rant. Better to headspace than to call the doctor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Headspacing is not a myth. Two ways to get everyone on this board riled up...mention that place in Illinois, or mention headspacing. Yea, I used to think the same. Until I ran into my worst barrell. Probably would haveblown up. The government spends millions of buckson research, you think they headspace just for fun? My rant. Better to headspace than to call the doctor.

What place in IL?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top