Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2002 4:03:21 PM EDT
Hi everybody, Im selling the Glock to get an AR probably. I dont know jack about rifles. Ive heard Bushamster is the best AR maker. I know a guy seeling a COlt AR15 that has a heavy barrel(dont know what length), carry handle, 1 10 rounder and two 30 rounders. He bought it in 1991 and only fired 20 shots through it. Its very clean and in good shape. Whats a gun like that worth? Is it better than a new Bushy or should I go for the Bushy? What about ARmalite?
Give me the scoop guys and thanks alot in advance. BTW, this gun will be used for mostly target shooting(.223).
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
IMHO it is a great gun. Colt, Armalite, and Bushmaster are all reputable. Its definitely better than a new Bushy- its PRE-BAN. Without the price can't say if its a great deal... If you don't want it can you e-mail me the guys home phone #....or e-mail.... heh,heh...

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
How much does he want for the Colt?  Since it's a preban (manufactured before 1994), it is worth quite a bit.  If you can afford it, get it.

As far as new rifles go, I'd get a Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, or an Armalite.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
He's asking $1,000. I keep hearing that term "pre-ban" and I know what it means but I dont know what makes a pre-ban AR diff. from a post ban AR. So whats the difference?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
yee,
Colt, Armalite and Bushy all make fine AR rifles. Picking the "best" comes down to personal preference. You'll get the same results as if you asked a group of people: "Which is better; Ford or Chevy?
There is not enough info here to quote a accurate price.
Find out the specific Colt model (ex:6xxx), first digits of Ser #, barrel length, HBAR?, etc. Maybe someone can help you out then.
BTW: A permanent carry handle would deem the Ar a "A2".
In any config it is worth the $1K if it indeed is a pre-ban AR.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
iwish I knew more about the AR. What visual characteristics does an H-bar barrel have? This one was about .5 o.d and then stepped down about .05 smaller and had a flash suppressor on it. The handle was non removable if my memory serves me. So whats the big HURRAH about pre-ban?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#6]
flash suppressor? That would indicate a pre-ban rifle. (make sure its not a compensator)

Here is the skinny:
Preban configs allow you to have all the "naughty" options including:
flash suppressor
tele-stock
bayonet lug

The post ban AR use up their “naughty options” quota as deemed by the BATF with the:
Semi-auto
removable mag
pistol grip
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
OH jeez guys. Not to sound rude or anything but I really dont see the big deal in PRe-Ban. Doesnt seem worth the extra money when I could get new bushy for less. I dont plan on having a bayonet and the flash suppresor is no biggy to me. You can buy or even make a suppresor. It wasnt a compensator. It match the barrel in color perfectly(darkish gray). I'll never want a telescoping stock either. So how can I justify bying this gun?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is a preban config for sale....you could email me the contact info for the seller.  In exchange I could give you info on where to find a reasonable deal on a AR-15 in the post-ban config you prefer from Bushy, Colt, DPMS, OA, R.R.A, etc.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Siennfein,

Whew.  You are looking for an indepth education in a short time.  Look, for your first AR the important thing is to buy one of the recognized brands so you don't have problems.  Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster are all quality firearms.  If you buy new, IMO, the  Bushmaster is the equal or better of them at a competitive price.

Now on the Colt, IF it is truly a preban rifle, original, with only 20 rounds fired (and not rusted shut or something) then it is a bargain at $1000 and YOU SHOULD BUY IT.  Why?

Well, even assuming you don't want the evil preban features (but you will in time), the resale will remain in the preban Colt over the new BM, etc.  For example, if you buy a new BM for $750 today, next year it is worth about $600-650.  Buy the Colt for $1000, it is worth $1000 in future - or maybe more (unless you mess it up).

The scary thing is, you still haven't identified the model Colt this is.  SOME preban Colts are worth a lot more than $1000 in that condition.  I have seen Colt lowers (just the lower reciever, handle and buttstock) sell for near $1000.

The only danger I can see to buying the Colt is if it is not in good condition, or it really isn't a preban.  Get the model number and serial number and you can look it up to verify it's status.  

Good luck.

James
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks anyways BoomHolzer but Im not ready to part with that info. Hes not really hard up to sell it...not even advertising it. I called him to see if he wanted to buy my Glock so I could get an HK SL8-1 and he told me about the AR. Since then Im leaning more towards the AR since theres more aftermarket support for them than the HK. But, anyhow I know its a deal cause you want :-)~ So whats the big deal guys? What else is so great about this gun? Its not like its full auto or anything!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
siennfein
If all you want is a target rifle and don't envision this rifle in a SHTF situation then get a postban Bushy with a flattop for better scope mounting and a shaved front site in a 20" bbl length.

Most of us will be ready to snap your buddies pre-ban up for 1k in a heartbeat though and make an evil m4 out of it!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks anyways BoomHolzer but Im not ready to part with that info. Hes not really hard up to sell it...not even advertising it. I called him to see if he wanted to buy my Glock so I could get an HK SL8-1 and he told me about the AR. Since then Im leaning more towards the AR since theres more aftermarket support for them than the HK. But, anyhow I know its a deal cause you want :-)~ So whats the big deal guys? What else is so great about this gun? Its not like its full auto or anything!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info guys really. Im getting the picture now(thanks jimmybcool). I'll check on the serial numbers. If it is a pre-ban would the value go down if I got a more accurate barrel? This gun is clean as a whistle. He showed me how it broke down and everything and there was not rust. IT looked almost new. It seems like some of you are squirming in your seats to buy this gun so I appreciate your info.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#14]
A preban (I know there are technicalities) is basically refering to the lower receiver...  You can do whatever you want to it and the value of it will probably do nothing but go up because the government introduce scarcity of those receivers by passing a law.  There can be no more pre-ban receivers therefore their value should go up.  Unless of course the stupid law changes in the future....
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#15]
OK JTW2, is the lower receiver the where the trigger and bolt are? Are you sure I can do ANYTHING to it? Like change stuff internally*cough*.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#16]
So is Colorado the Ar capitol of the world?! alot of you guys are from Colorado.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#17]
siennfein,

I purchased my first AR a year ago.  It was a postban DPMS DCM competition rifle.  After shooting it (and running aroud with it) some I realized that it was not what I wanted, too heavy, VERY small aperture.  I bought my second AR two months ago and it was a preban CAR with all the "evil features."  I shot the preban more in a month than I shot the DPMS in a year.  I ended up trading the DPMS for another preban in similar configuration.  I am now the proud owner of two prebans.  One is a carbine, the other is a 20" HBAR and I love shooting both of them.  These rifles are like a disease.  Once you get one you have to have another, and there are so many options.  Why limit yourself.  Get the preban.  

If you get one you will want another.  No collection is complete without a preban and when the fever hits, you will kick yourself for not getting the preban.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got some more info from his son(my buddy). He says his dad bought the reciever and barrel seperate. So it wasn t a complete gun...he put it together himself. Were any pre-ban AR's full auto?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Technically the rifle had to be assembled before the ban to qualify as a preban.  Check the serial number if there is any doubt.

yes, the lower is where the trigger is.  You can do anything you want to a preban with the exception of adding m16 parts such as the trigger, sear, hammer carrier and selector.  If you have those in your gun get rid of them cause the Batmen ruled that those in and of themselves constitute a machine gun.  10 years at club fed.

full auto is really a function of the parts in the gun not the two receivers.  There are some really good articles on this site to show you the differences between ar15 and m16 parts.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Read these articles before buying an AR.

http://www.ar15.com/articles/index.html?cat=10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top