Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 12:50:40 PM EDT
I have been keeping my AR at home with the bolt locked back, magazine in, dustcover closed, and safety on. I wondered if I would be hurting the buffer spring by keeping it this way long term. I have been told that springs really only wear through use, that they can remain in either their compressed or non-compressed state just fine without unnatural bending or "taking a set".  Anyone have a problem with this in the past?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
From a safty stand point, You may want to keep the bolt closed on a empty chamber.

If you want to keep it loaded, then cocked and locked.  Way too easy for the rifle to be shocked, Bolt released and take a chance of any type of slam fire/hammer sear slip.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]

...Bolt released and take a chance of any type of slam fire/hammer sear slip.

He's right, A friend of mine had this happen in basic training. the butt smacked the ground, the bolt flew forward and the firing pin had enough inertia to set off the primer.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have been keeping my AR at home with the bolt locked back, magazine in, dustcover closed, and safety on.

In my opinion, it shouldn't hurt the springs especially the modern ones. BUT I think it is not a condition to leave your rifle. It is real easy to release the bolt catch.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Get some Snap Caps and then you can close the bolt AND lower the hammer, without damaging the firing pin.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top