Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 6:41:43 PM EDT
man crazy!!  I went handgun shopping today with my wife.  What an experience that was.  We went in with her mind set on the Kahr K9.  As I suspected she had a hard time racking the slide so we tried some others.  She wont have anything to do with revolvers so that is out.  We finally found one that she was comfortable with, the Smith and Wesson Chief Special in 9mm.  First off I dont want to buy a Smith and Wesson but she likes it.  Does anyone have one of these?  How do you like it?  Anyone have any other ideas for me?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#1]
schapman,

If your wife likes the S&W better than anything else - get it.  I've heard nothing bad about that model (but don't own one).

I would like to say the "unofficial blockade" on buying S&W was a little unfounded and now way out of date.  But, opinions run counter.  I understand the anger, just don't think it really did us (gun owners) any good.

If my wife liked one it would be hers.  And as soon as I get a chance a S&W Model 41 .22lr will be in MY safe.

James
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with James.  Be thankful your wife is even interested in a handgun at all.  How would you feel if she told you that you couldn't have the gun you wanted cause she is mad at Bushmaster?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently bought a S&W 686+ that is really a great revolver. I've never been a fan of their semi's (Although, I've heard their Glock clone - Sigma - is pretty good).

As far as the ban is concerned, S&W changed CEO's, etc., so the regime that cut the deal is out. I heard that the old CEO was frustrated that S&W employees weren't in-step with the deal/policy. Don't know how the disagreement manifested itself, but it's nice/funny to hear.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I took my wife handgun shopping - once.
She already had it in her head that she wanted a defensive weapon, so I, like jtw2 says, was impressed by that.  So there we were, in my favorite local gunshop (everyone has one - you know, the one where the emps call you by your first name when you walk in,)  looking at a wall of handguns.  I realized that her decisions were based solely on "looks" alone - didn't matter if it was a Glock or a nickel plated Desert Eagle.  Her favorite one ended up being an NAA .22 - go figure.  "Well, it's the prettiest one up there!", she said.
The owner put it back at my request.  "I know," I said, "I have some work to do."  Still do.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
OMG!
I have tears!

"the prettiest one up there"!

I'm dyin'!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife had a stainless Walther PPK but her ex-husband took it back when they got divorced. Lately she's been talking about getting another one, maybe not a PPK but something she's comfortable with. I think I can assist her with that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:34:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
(Although, I've heard their Glock clone - Sigma - is pretty good).

Gosh, I hope that was a joke!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:35:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OMG!
I have tears!

"the prettiest one up there"!

I'm dyin'!

My ex girlfriend wanted me to get her a stainless H&K USP compact because it was "pretty."
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:01:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I figure it's better to get the wife something she likes and shoots (even if underpowered) than for her to have nothing at all. I'm trying to get my wife interested in the Glock 26 like mine but she likes/wants a Beretta .32 Alleycat. At least with the tip-up barrel she doesn't have to worry about racking the slide to load it.
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#10]
We started shopping for one about 5 weeks ago.  We went to a show at Myrtle Beach and she found a Taurus that she really liked but did not want to shell out the dough just yet.  

Then, we went to a gun shop at the beach just looking around and she stared playing with some autos.  She liked a Llama the best, but when I had a hard time racking the slide, I said she couldn't have it.  Plus, I was leary on LLama's quality.

Well, about two weeks later we went up to Charlotte and she got a Taurus 617 .357 7-shot and she loves it.  I also must add that it is sweet to shoot and there is hardly any recoil.  She will be getting her CWP with the pistol sometime this month.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#11]
If she insists on having a semi-auto most women can rack the slide this way:

Grasp the pistol firmly in the none dominant hand (of course w/ the trigger finger outsdie of the trigger guard and the weapon pointed in a safe direction). Postion the pistol in a approximate parallel position ( pointed slightly away from the body) so it is directly in front of you and is also approx. 5" from the chest. Take the dominant hand and place it directly on top of the back of the slide. The thumb will now be pointed toward the rear of the pistol (and towards your none dominant hand) instead of the traditional method where you rack the slide from the rear and the thumb is pointed towards the front of the gun. You are now ready to rack the slide. Simultaniously push your none dominant hand and your dominant hand towards each other. You should be pushing with both hands at this point. If you keep your elbows up away from the body this will give you more leverage as larger muscles are now involved. Once the slide is in in rear most position let the slide rebound on it own. You must be careful to remove your dominant hand from the slide as soon as you release it as it may be snipped by the closing chamber.

If one pays attention to what the gun is pointed at, using this method is as safe as the traditional method. This method is only a suggestion. I would suggest that she tries to gain the strength to rack the slide in the traditional method as it is much easier to pay attention to what the front of the gun is pointed at.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Steve, with a little work she was able to rack the slide in this manner.  I would like something that she can do rack reliably and have that confidence.  She has gone to work with the 5lb weights so we will see.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#13]
My $.02;
Send your wife to a trusted dealer or better yet an NRA certified instructor. An objective third party might better help her evaluate the features, caliber and type of firearm that suits HER best for self-defense. I went shopping for a hangun ONCE with my wife and surprise, she ended up getting a gun that I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED! It is in MY safe and she has no iterest in shooting or carrying it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#14]
My .02:
My rule: if you can't load it, you can't shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#15]
schapman43,

I feel for you.  A long time ago, I too, was in that boat.  Came down to a Lady S&W because it had a pink handle.   When we first got the pistol, all I could think about was showing up at the range with the "Revlon Special".

To be truthful, the pistol was a blast to shoot.
Now, a long time later, My wifes pistol is 686 with Adj front sights.  The idea is to get her what ever she wants, It's Her pistol, Even if it's flaming pink.  As time goes on, she move into a larger pistol.  One that you won't mind being seen with at the range.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the info and opinions guys.  I think I will get the Chief Special for her and go from there.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Years ago a rapist was in our area and my wife wanted a pistol. The PT 99 the I have was to much gun so we went to Wal-mart (They sold handguns then) and she looked around and took my advice about getting a revolver. She liked the Taurus model 85 snubby in satin finish. This little gun has turned out to one of the most accurate short barrel pistols I've shot. Main thing is she will use it if the need arrises. 5 Hydrashocks to the chest should knock a bad guys dick in the dirt.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#18]
For defensive purposes...get her whatever she wants that is 9mm caliber or higher.  That's my rule.

AS FOR RACKING THE SLIDE BACK, I am sorry Steve, but I couldn't understand your post for the life of me (not a flame).  Here's my technique that works surprisingly well for most people (and may be what you were saying too...I don't know):

Hold the firearm with your dominant hand and point downward...hold the slide with your non-dominant hand.  PUSH THE FRAME FORWARD while holding the slide.  It's amazing how well it works.

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife is pretty under standing when it comes to me buying my toys, but after I bought an AR10 and a 1928a1 Tompson in 3 months, she was getting a little mad. So when she said she wanted a Beretta .32 TOMCAT, I was at the gun shop before she could tell me what finnish she wanted on it.

Tomac, the Beretta Alleycat is no longer made (since Dec; according to my dealer).
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would like to say the "unofficial blockade" on buying S&W was a little unfounded and now way out of date.  But, opinions run counter.  I understand the anger, just don't think it really did us (gun owners) any good.

It was neither unfounded and not way out of date.  The new owners have not renounced the sellout to the Clintonistas.  If you think it was unfounded, I suggest you read the entire agreement S&W signed with Clinton.  By that, the dealer that would sell you a Smith and Wesson, could not sell you an AR.

It did gun owners a lot of good.  We drove them to their knees and would should maintain the pressure.  Anyone that would sign such an agreement with the very people who are trying to take away our rights and doing it for financial reasons no less (get out of lawsuits, police contracts), deserves our loathing, our contempt, and our boycott.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...read the entire agreement S&W signed with Clinton.  By that, the dealer that would sell you a Smith and Wesson, could not sell you an AR...

I've bought 2 AR's from the same dealer that I bought my S&W, and he sells more black guns than any other dealer I know. Are you sure this is true
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I read the agreement and I agree with LARRYG. Not only that, S&W dealers aren't allowed to sell high-cap mags either, even the preban ones that get traded on this board all the time. Master_Blaster, was the S&W a new post sellout model? Maybe the dealer you bought the S&W and the ARs from wasn't living up to his end of the agreement. The only consequences I know of are that S&W would stop shipping new guns to him if they find out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#23]

I realized that her decisions were based solely on "looks" alone - didn't matter if it was a Glock or a nickel plated Desert Eagle.  Her favorite one ended up being an NAA .22 - go figure.  "Well, it's the prettiest one up there."

I had a friend like that.... after I took her shooting for her first time she decided she wanted a handgun. We looked all over and her favorite one was this little Derringer thing. To quote her: "It does this cute little 'folding thingy'.... and it has pink grips"

Oh... well... the cute "folding thingy".... by all means as your about to be mugged/raped/murdered I'm sure the perp will wait while you do the little cute "unfolding thingy" too.... She saw the sarcasm and finally bought a Glock.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#24]
milrad, you're correct about the Alleycat being discontinued (word has it that Beretta is coming out with a Tomcat that has both front and rear tritium sights instead of just the front tritium sight like the Alleycat). We were fortunate enough to snag a NIB Alleycat and now the wife is happy...
Tomac
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Well a week after the first shopping trip we went looking again at the Wife's request.  We went in and I let her take a look at whatever she wanted.  She once again asked for the Kahr K9.  She picked it up and with a quick snap she racked the slide.  I was impressed but I wanted to see her do it again.  Once again she quickly racked the slide.  So she is getting what she wants  I stupid to think it would have gone any other way.  Anyway she claims she's been lifting the little girl that she watches during the day to get pumped up  Plus she let me put a Springfield Mil Spec on layaway so its all good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top