Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
5/29/2017 5:35:05 AM
Posted: 1/6/2002 9:50:43 AM EDT
Let me preface this post by admitting I stink when it comes to shooting handguns. My question is should a sight radius difference of 1 inch make a big difference in accuracy? I have a Sig Sauer p226 in 9mm that I'm getting better with but I still can't keep my groups in the black at 30 feet using the NRA 50ft slow-fire target. Just for kicks, I rented a Glock 35 in .40S&W the other day, and I amazed myself by putting all 50rds I shot through it in the black. I'm not sure what the difference is, but it has a sight radius of 7.3" vs. 6.3" for the sig. Should an inch make that big of a difference? The sights may have made a difference, too, since I found the Glock's Box-Dot sight much easier to use then the Sig's von stavenhagen/Bar-Dot sights. I hated the Glock's trigger, too, and the damn thing's trigger guard kept biting my finger. I guess I should try renting a Glock 17 or 19 to see if it really is the sight radius. Opinions?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:08:16 AM EDT
IMHO sight radius of 1" will make a difference in accuracy. However it may just be that you shoot the Glock much better than the Sig. I have(and love) a Sig P228 that I shoot okay with, but I have done better with a Glock. A bit of advice: I also suck at shooting pistols. Adreniline gets thge best of me and I start to shake. Recently I went out shooting with a friend of mine who is a decent pistol shooter. I swallowed my pride and let him teach me proper grip control and other helpful things. This alone improved my pistol accuracy more than anything. The lesson was well worth the loss of pride.

Good luck.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:25:49 PM EDT
Percentage-wise an inch is a pretty big increase when looking at the sight radius of a pistol. My strongest advice is to practice dry firing - A LOT!!! OFTEN!!!You will immediately be able to see movement when pulling the trigger and can work to correct it (also will develope muscle memory for loading/clearing jams). The Sig should be a more accurate pistol, with a much better feeling trigger, so i'm not sure what the issue is. That being said, I have 5 combat caliber pistols - all Glocks. I would have to see the grip to comment on the G35's guard biting your finger.

Good luck,

Tate
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:41:06 PM EDT
My g23 has a longer site radius than my ruger 9mm. In theory I thought that I'd shoot better with the ruger but I shoot better with the glock. I think the reason is the box style site of the glock that makes me shoot better with it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 1:51:51 PM EDT
It breaks my heart to say this, but I rented a Glock 17 today and shot it side by side with my p226, and it turns out I just shoot a lot better with Glocks (maybe it's the three years of playing Half-Life.) Part of it might be the sights - the Glock's box-dot(or whatever) sights seem more natural. With the 17, I could consistently shoot within a 2in circle at 30ft, even after 50+ rds. With the Sig, I could only do that for the first 10 rds. I may have to buy myself a Glock even though I think they're fugly. Or maybe I should try to paint a white box on the rear sight of my p226.

I did notice that I flinch more with the Sig - I don't know why. I'll have to work on that, but I can't figure out why the difference.

BTW, the 17 didn't bite into my finger - I'd guess bigger recoil of the .40S&W might have something to so with my problems with the 35.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:11:30 PM EDT
Sigs are much more "top-heavy" than the Glocks meaning that the CG (Center of Gravity) of the Sig is higher relative to your grip than the Glock,
That may be a factor.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:26:09 PM EDT
An increase in sight radius of 1" can make a BIG difference. My carry gun is a Glockworks custom G19, and has one of the best triggers on the planet. Even still, I shoot my SIG P226 in competition. For one, the SIG fits my hand better than the Glock (which may be the opposite for you) which makes natural sight alignment easier. Secondly, the difference in sight radius makes a huge difference in accuracy @ greater distances. I'm even considering a G34, just to split the difference!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 2:47:13 PM EDT
... Still, its front site picture. Successful pistol shooting is a state of mind. I'm serious, like Zen. The accuracy of the weapon is important only to the degree of about 3 MOA.

... I prefer groups much tighter than that but than again I am a Master at the art form.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 3:52:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf:
... I prefer groups much tighter than that but than again I am a Master at the art form.

We are so unworthy of being in your presence

Sgtar15
Top Top