Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2002 9:07:11 AM EDT
Here's the story.  My great uncle was a highly decorated "Hero" in WWII.  He was in command of the flight that sunk the Yammato(sp?), and an ace.   He has problems now remembering things and asked my dad if he would like the M-1 Garand that he had in the trunk of his car.  All my dad had to do was go get it.....in Florida(my dad lives in WY).   My dad called me last night(still in Florida).  You guessed it, the M1 turned out to be just an Ithica 37 12ga.   But, from my dad's description, it could be an odity.  My great uncle still says he was issued it to learn to shoot.  The Ithica is PARKARIZED, but does not seem to have any identifying insignia on it, according to my dad.  So, is it possible that this could be the shotgun he learned to shoot with in the military, as a pilot?  Or, more likely is it just something that was parkarized by someone later?

The worst part of all......I was supposed to get my dad's DCM Garand, and he would keep his uncle's.   !!@#$%^&!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#1]
guns762-
First, I believe the Yamato was sunk by a US submarine but may be wrong about this.
As for the gun, the US Army Air Corps did indeed purchase quantities of various shotguns which were used to teach the principles of aerial gunnery. Practical instruction on how to hit a moving target. This could well be one of those guns.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's genuine US military it should have "US" markings. Those are highly collectible and bring a premium. Yes, they were parkerized and came out in 1937, hence the model number.

I have a civilian Model 37 that was a police trade-in. No US markings and a dime a dozen. Too bad about the M1 Garand. That would have been a real gem.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ithaca has (and may still) offer a Parkerized M-37 with plain wood furniture, an 18" barrel, and a very large front bead. I used to have one. It had the game scene stamped on the reciever. I believe these where just an economical service gun.

Regards,
Sharps
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe the Yamamoto was damaged by aircraft, to the point where it couldn't maneuver.  It just limped along, until a sub picked it off a few days later.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]
"For Extraordinary heroism...during action against major elements of the Japanese Fleet in the East China Sea off Kyushu, Japan, on April 7, 1945.  Handicapped by exceedingly adverse weather and partial engine failure, (he) skillfully directed his air group in a daring attack against a battleship(Yamato), a light cruiser and six destroyers.  Pressing home his attack to a low altitude, he scored a direct bomb hit on a destroyer and regaining altitude, obtained excellent photographs of the sinking of the battleship and the cruiser following this destructive attack.  His intrepid spirit, suberb airmanship and gallant devotion to duty reflect the highest credit upon Commander Houck and the United States Naval Service"-----was awarded a gold star in lieu of his second of 4 Navy Cross's.--exerpt from the citation

"On April 7, 1945 American fliers put to final rest the Age of the Dreadnought, Blasting the mighty Yamato to oblivion in one frenzied afternoon of work"--- By Jimmy Espy, Executive editor, Cape Coral Breeze  02/99

"The biggest event of Air Group Nine's second Pacific Cruise took place April 7, 1945, with the complete destruction of the Japanese Battleship Yamato, one Agano Class Cruiser and several destroyers."--"Recognizing a war hero", Page 4A-Monday, Dec. 27, 1999, Cape Coral Daily Breeze

I thought this might clear up any confusion.
I know the shotgun is not new or newer.  But, I'm betting it isn't any thing special.  I could just taste that Garand!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top