Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2002 9:43:43 AM EDT
Hi guys,

Some of you know I am considering selling a couple Mini 14s to clear room in the safe.  Well, just for giggles, I visited the Ruger wep page and checked out the "retail" price.  Now, I know nobody in their right mind actually pays the list manufacturer price, but would you believe the cheapest Mini 14 made today costs $606?  OMG.  This is near what an AR15 costs.

I'm baffled and wondering what value/price I could get for my Minis.

I don't know how to rate them so don't ask.  They work fine and both are preban (for whatever thats worth - nothing I think).  They are both box stock except one has a Pentax 6X scope on it.  I can't shoot for shit with either of 'em but it could be me.  All I can say is they are both functional and look nice (no big scraches, gouges, rust, etc).

What's a ballpark value of these things?

James

Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
In the store yesterday:

NIB SS Ranch w/ syn stock - $499.00

Circa 1981 Ranch blue - $499.00

This same store wants $899.00 for a 16" Bushy A3 NIB
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not you mini's suck in accuraccy. As for the price, i think prebans go for around 800 dollars on the market now. They can have more "options".
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#3]
In ca. That is pretty much the only semi auto detach mag gun in .223 that you can still buy legally.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
would you believe the cheapest Mini 14 made today costs $606?  

No. In fact the actual retail price of the cheapest mini (blue with wood stock) is $398.00.

Used in excellent condition would be $300.00 to $350.00

A functional beater would be $200.00.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
would you believe the cheapest Mini 14 made today costs $606?  

No. In fact the actual retail price of the cheapest mini (blue with wood stock) is $398.00.

Used in excellent condition would be $300.00 to $350.00

A functional beater would be $200.00.

I made this statement about 6 months back...and got a big arguement from a board member........but it is fact...
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow.  Didn't think I'd get this much response on this topic.

Six - Was that a used 1981 Ranch blue for $499?  Was it in .223?  

SKS and Troy - It is also my understanding that unless the rifle was configured as an "assault weapon" prior to the ban it can not now have the added features.  You can not take a 1988 rifle in box stock form and add a folder and flash hider.  If I am correct, the preban aspect of Minis is less important than with an AR.  Those   Minis with the evil features do command higher prices from what I can see.

AR15Fan - your prices are more in line with what I thought.  The $606 price is the base unit on the Ruger web page.  I am surprised there is this big a difference between MSRP and actual pricing.

Mine are far from beaters, and not 99% either.  I'm thinking $300-350 each is about right.  And about $30 per 30 magazine.  Alas, not Ruger mags but they are the better aftermarkets (not USA crap).

Out of  curiousity,  how in the world would the ATF KNOW if your rifle was converted prior to the ban?  I mean, isn't it their burden of proof?  If so, why wouldn't anyone be able to convert them and sell for the higher price?  This is a hypothetical question guys as I certainly don't need the money badly enough to commit a crime or possibly screw whoever buys these from me.

The pricing I just found in the paper from two dealers is $479 for Mini 14s.  So maybe $300 is low.  Perhaps I can get $350 and $380 for the scoped one.  Opinions?

James
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not advertise them here, in the Equipment Exchange forum...

Stuff seems to sell pretty quick over there...

I've done deals with a few members here so far, and I'm very happy with the deals...

Heck, I might even be interested in one of your mini's...
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Also.....the genuine ruger "high cap" mags will fetch a premium....if you can find any.....to hear some of the dudes in the gunshop talk....those "pre-ban" mini`s...are really somethin`...........
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Six - Was that a used 1981 Ranch blue for $499? Was it in .223?

Yep - both the new one and the used one were Mini 14s - not 30s.

And yes I have seen them in SGN for $380ish NIB recently. I have also seen them for substantially more.

'Course I have seen Beta C Mags for civis between $350.00 and $690.00 in the last month as well.

As with all things - it will come down to the sophistication of the purchaser and the availability of alternatives to that purhaser. Shit  - ask for a bunch - see if W.C. Fields axiom still holds true today (it does).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top