Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2001 12:39:19 PM EDT
I've decided that I need to get a 22 pistol to practice my control, etc. I flinch way too much with my other handguns (especially when firing double action) So I need advice on what to look for.Preferably auto, used is OK, and it must be inexpensive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
When you said inexpensive the Ruger MK I / II came to mind.  I have seen these for as little as $125 at shows.  But this is a single action auto.  

For double action work, I have a Mod 17 S&W.  I set it up with the same grips as my Mod 686.  I also have had both triggers smoothed up.  Makes a nice economical practice or trainer as both feel identical.  I paid $200 for the mod 17 and put another $100 into it.  I rarely fire my DA revolvers in single action mode.  

OSA
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell you what I've been thinking of putting together ( just what I need....another project in the works!)

Essex .45 frame, USGI parts and a Ceiner .22 top end. I think I can put the whole thing together for around $450.00.

My.02: I'm not a subscriber to solving a flinch problem with a .22.

Get a buddy and do some ball/dummy drills. It will illuminate your flinch, which is most likely anticipating recoil. Is your round strike low but still on the centerline? If so try this..... Study your sights while achieving a perfect sight picture. Concentrate on the front sight and mentally repeat "front sight, squeeze" over and over as you squeeze the trigger. This will help with a surprise  break of the round.

Revolvers are a little trickier but the above will still work. Just smoothly pull through the double action.

Presently I’m transitioning back to a double action. I usually work with a match .45 but have begun shooting a Sig. Those 1 sec draws are a little tougher with a double action. The key is to quickly achieve a sight picture (high ready), stage the double action as you present to the target and refine the sight picture to what’s needed to make the shot.  

You may want to give that a try also. Achieve a good shooting stance (boxers stance works well), grip the pistol loosely in a high ready. Concentrate on the target and keep your front sight in your peripheral vision.

Begin to present to the target. When you do this begin to tighten your grip and also refine your sight picture shifting your concentration onto your front sight.

Your finger should be on the trigger and should be taking up the slack. When everything comes together  (good grip, arms extended,  proper sight picture/ alignment) the gun should go off.

Practice SLOOOOOOW and work on fluidity of motion. Dry fire a minimum of 30min daily. It will take you between 3-4000 repetitions before your neural pathways align and give you that minuscule advantage (muscle memory).

This is entry-level stuff but it’s the foundation of solid shooting.
Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help pdm. I don't get as much practice on the pistol as much as I would like. A .22 will help with the cost of ammo. I don't seem to have the flinch problem with rifle or shotgun at all. But with the handgun...
I have been hitting the target low on center , and was almost ready to get new sights. But when I concentrate I can do fairly decent. I guess It all come down to practice, practice, practice. . .
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what you're shooting but Ciener makes kits for about everything out there. 1911, Glocks, Sigs, etc. There's a few other manufacturers out there as well.

The kits can be a little finicky but usually tune up fine. Big advantage using the same pistol with a .22 top end. Same controls, feel, etc.

Also, you can dry fire using a pencil in the bbl.

Hang a piece of cardboard with a white sheet of paper on the wall. Draw a small circle to use as an aiming point.

Place a sharpened pencil in the bbl and stand with the muzzle about an inch or two away from the aiming point.

Achieve perfect sight alignment and sight picture then drop the hammer. The pencil will shoot out lightly and strike the paper, making a mark. Repeat. You should have a nice tight group of pencil marks under your aiming point.

Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
You didn't say what type of gun you were shooting or what ammo, but I would first try  lighter loads. If you know someone that reloads, he might be glad to help you safely develope a load that you feel comfortable shooting.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Ruger Mark II
Browning Buck Mark
Sig Trailside
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 2:30:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ruger Mark II
Browning Buck Mark
Sig Trailside

I'll second the above.  Try the Browning Buckmark.  Very accurate and fun pistol to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top