Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2001 6:11:52 PM EDT
Hi all,

Well, my late father's estate is finally settled. My older sister was the executrix. My father left me his 2 handguns. He was a resident of Pa., I now live in Va. What is involved in transferring the guns? I have posession of them, and his death certificate.

I just want to do it right and legal.

Thanks in advance.

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
BullDog,

I dont know the details but I would probably call your local FFL delaer and ask them.  I'm sure they can handle the work for you.  I have purchased a few handguns at estate auctions and I believe the executor probably had to fill out the paperwork and I had to go to the local FFL dealer to complete my end of the deal.

HDVespa
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank You
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
It all depends on the laws in both states.  If I were you, I'd try to drive out there and pick them up in person and avoid all paperwork.

In Texas, I believe this would be all that's necessary...that is, that the executor saw to it that the property went into the possesion of the inheritor.  However, I am not a lawyer, so I'll have to ask my father about this...

But, like I said, it's up to both of the states laws governing transfer of firearms.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm no expert, but it seems that unless your state has special prohibitions, or registering and licensing schemes, I wouldn't think that you would have to do anything.  You now own them, so take them back to Virgina with you.

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Bulldog,

I'm in Va also. I'd suggest that you drive to PA, unload the handgun and put it in a locked case. Drive to Va with them "out of reach", when I crossed the Mason Dixon Line, I'd get them out, load them and proced home. You do not need to do any paperwork to satisfy VA.

Hope this helps.

Eddie
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bulldog,

I'm in Va also. I'd suggest that you drive to PA, unload the handgun and put it in a locked case. Drive to Va with them "out of reach", when I crossed the Mason Dixon Line, I'd get them out, load them and proced home. You do not need to do any paperwork to satisfy VA.

Hope this helps.

Eddie

Yes it does....thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless your are friendly with your local FFL dealer they would be the last place I'd call. Its likely they will tell you to bring the pistols into thier store and have them "registered" in your name.
My neighbor had exactly that happen to hime when his father died. He inherited 50 rifles from his father and when he asked a local FFL dealer they had him bring rifles in to be registered. By the time I heard what was going on he had already paid transfer fees on 25 rifles.
I explained that there was no firearms registration and he was no only paying good money needlessly but every rifle he did the paperwork on was eventually going to find its way into the BATF records.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as Federal Law is concerned, you can just pick them up and take them home with you.  Bequests from an estate do not have to be transferred through an FFL holder, even interstate transfers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top