Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2001 9:36:19 AM EDT
I picked up my first AR-15 yesterday and it's awesome. It's a Bushmaster post ban XM15E2S lower and a Bushy Pre ban 20in. upper minus the bayo lug and flashhider. I have two questions. First, I noticed that there is a little bit of play between the upper and lower reciever, is this normal? Second the rear sight has the dual apertures and the aperture wobbles front to back a little but not side to side. Are these things normal AR's or do they need to be corrected.

P.S.- Thanks to all the members who responded and helped me with all my newbie questions, I really appriciate it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations dude! Bushmaster is one of the most highly regarded names around here.  I think you did good.  As for your questions:  1)the play between the upper and the reciever is one that I hear about on occasion.  I think that a product called "Accuwedge" can sort this cheaply.  It's a little wedge that gets placed next to the rear take down pin.  2) as for your rear sight question, I have no clue.  If you just bought the gun, I think a credit refund for replacing the defective part is in order.  The flip sight on my rifle doesn't wobble at all.  Anyway, I'm sure the other members will have some better input.  Good luck and success to you!

Edited because I thought you had a pre-ban upper on a post ban reciever.  Never mind...
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
The wobbleing is a problem, in that very time you shoot.  The wobble may nore go back to zero and/or fast or rapid fire the wobling will change the Point Of Impact every wobble.

Is the muzzle of pre ban upper threaded?  If so, it would still be illegal to have on your post ban lower.  You would have to get a compensatop permanently affixed or have threads removed/crowned.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on the purchase! You chose well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome aboard!!

I like the fact that it is your FIRST AR!!  Naturally that means there will be MORE!!

I know, got my first one a year ago...now I am building my second!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 4:39:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The slop between the receivers is common.  An accuwedge will probably remove it, but you can always bed it as well.

It is also common for the rear sight assembly to have some rotational slop in the upper.  There is a gunsmith who posts on the competition board who installs a pin to remove this.  Ask for Gasgunner

Welcome to the money-poor/AR-rich crowd !!

SRM
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome in the AR15 Owners Brotherhood!!!

Enjoy your Black Rifle!!!

Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the welcome and the advice guys. I'm sending the upper to Bushamster to fix the loose sight and will probably get the accuwedge to fix the play between the upper and lower. By the way where do I get one of these accuwedge things?
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
bio, unless the sight moves more than a little, you are wasting time and money. All the AR-15's and M-16's I've ever handled had smoe movement in the rear sight. There is only one ball and spring that contacts the upper receiver, and even if there was one on each side, it would still rotate some.
As for the Accuwedge, you can get it from bushmaster, or any other place that deals with AR accs. But wait for a gunshow and see if you can get one there, or at a local gun shop. The shipping for just the accuwedge is what the accuwedge costs. Only order it if you are spending $20 or more on other parts in an order. Plus most places have a min $ amount before you can order anyway.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top