Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2001 1:30:44 AM EDT
purchases to Gun store purchases?  My FFL dealer's been a real nice guy for transferring so many receivers and rifles for me, how many firearms should I purchase from my FFL and retail store as opposed to transfers?

3 internet purchases to 1 retail purchase?
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like to see opinions on this also.

BTT
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I have never bought a gun from my FFL, but he does not stock very often the type of firearms I am interested in.

I do try to buy most of the general everyday gun acces. and supplies from him tho.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking for more input.

bump.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My ethics regarding what to purchase locally from a FFL, and what to have transferred in is as follows:  

1. If I first saw the item locally, I purchase the item there, even if it costs more than if I had it transferred in.
2. Items that I walked in the store knowing I wanted to buy, I buy locally only if their price is competitive to a transfer.

Lately, my local FFL doesn’t carry most of the things I’m interested in, so it’s not an issue.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I am the opposite - I have only purchased two firearms over the net.

1 was used and was not in the dealers stock of used guns.

1 was a Vang Comp - something they dont sell.

I try to be supportive.

They are part of my community. It would have to be a REALLY good deal on the net for me to not patronize my dealer.

Now, I DO shop my dealer against other local dealers - hard.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I am lucky and and my local dealer has same and sometimes better prices then the internet and gunshows when it comes to guns and ammo.
He sucks in shotgun and hunting ammo, but the local Bi-mart suppliments that.

I feel weird about ordering things like firearms online. The one time I did, I had a good expirence, I ordered a 12 rnd mag for my HK USP 45. The spring was messed so he replaced it with a new one.

There's spiff's involved if your dealer is a good person and your in enough. Better then listed prices, samples of ammo, and RESPECT, dammit, something that I've never seem to get whenI go anywhere else (22 yrs old, I think thats the reason).

Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty loyal to my own dealer, know him and many of his cronies on a first-name basis, and have often received good deals there. Recently picked up a Dieter CQD Mark 1 LE for about $40.00 less than the retail price. Also bought a new Safariland 6004 w/light for a similar savings. I've put more than a few sheckles in his pocket over the years, so, for his part, it's good customer relations practice in the long run.

Local gun shops are probably the last bastion of the "mom & pop" operations, when compared to other product-specific retailers like software, books, etc., that are now dominated by large-retail chains (Some of these are OK). When it comes to guns, I'd like to know that the seller is genuinely interested in my satisfaction, as opposed to the generic guy on the other side of the counter. JMO.

+    =  WAY LOT OF FUN, BABY!
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I purchased several guns from the internet.  My FFL was always nice about it.  Then, I found out that they paid thru the nose to have a commercial on TNN during the hunting shows.  After that, I decided that I had better support them.  Now, I either ask them to buy it, and raise the price a little, or if they already have it, just buy from them.  I recently picked up a NIB Colt SP2...I paid thru the nose, but they let me put it on layaway, and gave me an extra month to pay on it.

Now, I've pretty much decided to buy my ammo online in bulk, but go thru my FFL for my gun purchases.  Afterall, if they aren't in business any longer, who will transfer the gun for me?
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 11:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
M..SHO - who is your dealer - I am always looking for good dealer in OR.

Thanx
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#10]
My long time dealer likes recieving guns for me because he has no shelf time in the product, knows it will be sold as soon as it comes in. Only charges $15.00 transfer. He says he makes most of his profit from ammo and accessories anyway, and I buy almost all these from him.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't transfer in what the dealer has in stock. Once you figure in the shipping, and the FFL transfer fees, plus the uncertainty of what you are ordering, you'd have to have a substantial discount to just break even. If there is something I want, I often ask my dealer to order it. Usually don't pay much above wholesale anyway, unless it is a hot item that week. Half of my guns are private purchases, 3 are from a shop, and 3 are on-line buys (from AIM surplus, etc). Once I get my C&R I will do most of my own buying with a token buy from the shops for modern pieces. LAter.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#13]
This is a very good question. I like to support local gun stores and my friendly neighborhood kitchen table gun dealers. I would guess it's probably about 50:50. New guns I get mostly at gun stores and used guns I go through my FFL buddies. I usually alternate between two FFLs, because I'd like to keep them both in business, especially in this screwed up state that will probably ban home FFLs within a year or two. About the same goes for ammo and accessories too, about 50:50 local purchases vs. internet buys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top