Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2001 7:20:31 PM EDT
I had asked this question at Colt board. No Here goes:

How good is Colt brand handle mounted 4X scope selling for $230.00 +? Any pro's and con's of this scope? Any alternatives(other compact handle mounted scopes?)

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an older 3x model, for a short range, quick target acquisition it's not bad, the reticles are too thick for my taste.  Maybe someone can learn from my mistake and save the money to get an ACOG instead, especially one with BAC.  I got mine before I knew much about AR15 optics and didn't figure I wanted to spend the money on an ACOG, I also bought it to complete the Colt package.  Two years later I got an ELCAN and an ACOG TA01NSN, both better than the Colt Realist scope (may be marketed by C-More these days).
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
they are ok for a 4x scope, you are paying big bucks for the colt name.  check any 4x price and you will see a big difference in the prices.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
My Colt's 3x sight has Japanese optics.  Nice sight and about the only practical telescopic sight one can mount on the handle and still use without a giraffe neck.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#5]
A buddy of nine has a colt 4x20 mounted on his SP-1 it has good optics but pricey. I just mounted a Leapers 4x20 with the quik disconnect see tru mount that uses the thumb scwer to mount to handle. The optics seem to be as good as the colt scope at a fraction of price. Check out www.tapco.com they have selection.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:03:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I was about to buy a Colt scope but didn't think they were worth all that money, so I went to http://www.ultout.com/leupold&stevens-optics.htm and bought a Leupold Compact M8 2.5x Matte fpr $180, a set of rings and an ARMS mount for about $250. I have never owned a Colt, but I doubt it is as good as a Leupold. The Leupold is the righ size for the A2 mount.  The 2.5x may not be enough magnafication for you, but I use it for IPSC where field of view is king. I have replaced it  with an Aimpoint, but it works great on my FAL.

Bill

p.s. Still looking for a used Colt
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I would be inclined to get the IOR M2 and the MK Arms carry handle mount.

www.impactguns.com/store/ior_223_m2.html

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/2693830.asp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top