Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2001 2:01:12 PM EDT
Has anyone had any experience with this rifle in .223?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Us, boys got some funds together and bought our buddy a wedding present, he received a Remington 700 LWT, I was very impressed with the accuracy.  even with just FMJ, the group was within MOA.  great shooter, you can shoot all day and it would break your shoulder or your bank.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine are 308 only.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of the Rem 700 PSS rifles 2 and 1/2 years ago. It would never shoot better than 1 and 1/2 groups with the best ammo. Generally worse. I had to replace the barrel with a Schneider barrel, replace the stock with a McMillan and install a Shilen trigger to get it to shoot well. Now the worst group is 1 and 1/4 with any ammo. the problems were: the 26 inch barrel was bent at both the chamber/leade and at the muzzle and the stock was a HS precision that when torqued to the action visibly moved the barrel a minimum of 1/8 inch. No bedding in the HS precision. Would I buy another Remington? Yes, but I would not buy an expensive one, I would get an action and upgrade it to my requirements.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I bought one of the Rem 700 PSS rifles 2 and 1/2 years ago. It would never shoot better than 1 and 1/2 groups with the best ammo. Generally worse. I had to replace the barrel with a Schneider barrel, replace the stock with a McMillan and install a Shilen trigger to get it to shoot well. Now the worst group is 1 and 1/4 with any ammo. the problems were: the 26 inch barrel was bent at both the chamber/leade and at the muzzle and the stock was a HS precision that when torqued to the action visibly moved the barrel a minimum of 1/8 inch. No bedding in the HS precision. Would I buy another Remington? Yes, but I would not buy an expensive one, I would get an action and upgrade it to my requirements.

Holy shit, deja vu.  Let me demonstrate:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=80170

Jarhead, what did you end up doing?
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a older 223 PSS with the 1:12 24" tube.  It shoots great, .5-.75 MOA out to 600 yards (on a calm day) with Sierra 52gr match bullets.  The trigger was very poor until I adjusted it.  Now it is excellent.  I also used a small amount of bedding compound to fix a minor bedding problem.  That didn't really seem to change the performance.  I also had a PSS in 308.  It was also excellent.  I only sold it to get a McMillan 308.  I have seen a couple of very negative postings here lately, but the two PSS's I have owned were both winners.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I owned a PSS in .308 and my friend has one in .223 and it is very accurate.  He handloads, so I'm sure that has alot to do with his results.  You might also want to look into a Winchester Stealth.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top