Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 7:34:18 PM EDT
I have an SP1 that I want to replace the upper on with a 16" Flat top. I'm leaning toward the Wilson Combat TL-15 Tactical Lightweight Upper.

I'm not sure about what to do about the front pivot pin size issue...

Opinions...??

Cg..
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Daniel's defense flat top upper.  Large hole, made to fit.

Otherwise, you are stuck with a rebarrel of your receiver, or getting the offset pin.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
How good/bad are the offset pins..?

Cg..
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 7:13:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Only a few issues with the offet pins:

1.  They typical do not hold the upper/lower fit as tight.

2.  They require two screwdrivers (just like the original colt pin)

3.  You have to be very careful with pivoting the upper from the lower.  The offset pin can rotate like a cam, and when pivoting, sometimes it bind and wont allow the upper to pivot away from the lower very far.  If you do this a lot, it can cause wear on the upper and lower holes.

Seriously, they are not _that_ bad, but I didn't like mine, and found a factory large hole upper for my SP-1.  You can then change barrels, for updates.  If you are stuck on a flat-top, I would go with the Daniels defense, simply because that way you can get large hole, and pushpin convenience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top