Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/25/2017 7:35:25 PM
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 12/19/2001 10:13:04 AM EDT
I bought a Ruger KP97DC about three weeks ago, and finally got a chance to shoot it. I haven't shot in two years, and hadn't shot .45ACP in five years. Furthermore, I am a fair-middling shot at best anyway.

Despite unfamiliar hardware and three people's worth of bad shooting habits in one shooter , I was still able to get 90% into the torso, with about 50% into the center two rings at the 7 yard mark. Out at 10 yards, I was still getting solid hits about 60% of the time. That's weak by most of ya'lls standards, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I'm gonna start shooting about 50-100rds a week from here on out (can't afford more right now), so that should tighten up considerably.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 10:35:27 AM EDT
Congrats! Where in Tx are you, and where do you shoot?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:51:06 AM EDT
Spearweasel,

Not bad. About how I started out in September with my KP90. Solid weapons. I got better with practice.

I second Brouhaha's comments. Brouhaha, you're in NWest Hou right? Me and you and GBT need to meet a Carter's sometime and destroy some paper.

Happy Holidays
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:33:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Coz_45-age-caliber:

I second Brouhaha's comments. Brouhaha, you're in NWest Hou right? Me and you and GBT need to meet a Carter's sometime and destroy some paper.

Happy Holidays

Sounds good Coz...will you be at the shoot in the forest on Sunday?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:37:25 PM EDT
I'm actually located in Austin, TX.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:40:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spearweasel:
I bought a Ruger KP97DC about three weeks ago, and finally got a chance to shoot it. I haven't shot in two years, and hadn't shot .45ACP in five years. Furthermore, I am a fair-middling shot at best anyway.

Despite unfamiliar hardware and three people's worth of bad shooting habits in one shooter , I was still able to get 90% into the torso, with about 50% into the center two rings at the 7 yard mark. Out at 10 yards, I was still getting solid hits about 60% of the time. That's weak by most of ya'lls standards, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I'm gonna start shooting about 50-100rds a week from here on out (can't afford more right now), so that should tighten up considerably.

I know all the "Ed Brown's," shoot 1" groups (or whatever) at 25 yds but here's also a theory that one should spend at least half the time shooting from 6'- 10' (torso hits, center- mass hits, deduct 10 points for a head shot.) If memory serves me right that's the range of engagement for most hand-gun fights.

Besides I can't shoot 1" groups at 25 yds with any barrel shorter than 16".
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:44:06 PM EDT
I have a P97. Nice little gun and it only cost me about $300.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:01:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 5subslr5:

I know all the "Ed Brown's," shoot 1" groups (or whatever) at 25 yds but here's also a theory that one should spend at least half the time shooting from 6'- 10' (torso hits, center- mass hits, deduct 10 points for a head shot.) If memory serves me right that's the range of engagement for most hand-gun fights.

Besides I can't shoot 1" groups at 25 yds with any barrel shorter than 16".

I rarely bother with running the target out that far. If the guy is 25yds away, I'll be under cover or making a hasty exit. If I had some fancy customized .45 racegun, I might, but not with my hunk o' steel Ruger, sans bells and whistles. I figure that if 7yds is good enough for police and CHL quals, it's good enough for me. I generally practice between 5yds and 7 yds. Within that range, I only try head shots for fun.

If I'm practicing serious, I aim only for the center of mass, usually double taps aimed at the black. I want to condition myself so that I instinctively go for the conservative shot, without thinking about it. A real gunfight is no time for hotdogging. I notice that I tend to shoot a wee low at longer ranges, resulting in a lot of abdomen shots at 7-10yds. Fortunately, the second shot in the double tap seems to be a little higher up thanks to recoil. I suspect that would be effective enough in most cases to end the fight.

I also tried a couple magazines worth of off-hand shooting. It's not nearly as accurate of course, but I can still hit torso most of the time in off hand at 5yds. That's reassuring, knowing I'm not helpless if I were to lose the use of my strong arm in a fight.

All in all, it was a pretty satisfying hour of shooting.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:56:46 PM EDT

need to meet a Carter's sometime

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:08:58 PM EDT
LOL JIH. I feel the same way about Carter's.
Top Top