Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2001 5:07:48 PM EDT
I'm just looking for something that looks like a Benelli pistol grip stock for my 590. Does anyone make them? Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Puting a pistol grip on a Mossberg will pretty much void the use of the safety due to the safety's placement on the rear of the receiver. Don't know about the specific grip but Choate  and ACE have a good variety of products.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm just looking for something that looks like a Benelli pistol grip stock for my 590. Does anyone make them? Thanks.

I'm not thrilled with my Butler Creek folder.  The 590 is so long and muzzle-heavy with that folder that it is uncomfortable to shoot.  Not to mention that I broke some internal pieces (~10 years ago...) and when Mossberg sent out the replacements, the "gunsmith" broke the same piece installing it for me.

It is kind of fun shooting it one-handed, BUT...

My opinion: don't bother with a folder.  Personally, I would try to find a smaller gun to set up with a folder.  I think a 14" 11-87 with a top-folder would be awesome!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want a pistol grip with a folding stock, I recommend you check these sites:

http://www.knoxx.com/

http://www.choatemachinetool.com/

If you want a pistol grip without a folder then I recommend you get a Pachmayr set-up.  The Pachmayr pistol grip is tapered so you can apply your thumb parallel to the back of the grip thereby absorbing the recoil from the palm of your hand through your whole forearm, instead of through your wrist like most other grips that are shaped so that you have to hold your hand perpendicular to the grip.
The Pachmayr design makes it possible to shoot 3" magnum loads without blowing your wrist out.  In fact it doesn't hurt at all.  Try one and you'll see what I mean.
The Pachmayr also makes using your safety very easy as all you have to do is move your thumb forward 1" to reach the safety.

Just some FFT

MG
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Puting a pistol grip on a Mossberg will pretty much void the use of the safety due to the safety's placement on the rear of the receiver.

How do you figure that? Mossberg sells their 500 with a pistol grip option. Wouldnt that be contridicting themselves if they voided warrenties for that?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Puting a pistol grip on a Mossberg will pretty much void the use of the safety due to the safety's placement on the rear of the receiver.

How do you figure that? Mossberg sells their 500 with a pistol grip option. Wouldnt that be contridicting themselves if they voided warrenties for that?

I dont think he is talking about warranties, just that on the 590A1, the safety is on the top of the reciever.  Kinda hard to get to with one hand, if that hand is on the bottom

c-rock
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I might have one in my bag of tricks. I'll give it to you if I still have it.
It's a factory one I think.
Scott
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
www.knoxx.com/

www.choatemachinetool.com/

I was considering the Knoxx one myself.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#9]
A pistol grip/shoulder stock makes the thumb safety of the Mossberg clumsy & slow to use.  Not a problem if you only leave it in 'cruiser safe' mode (empty chamber, hammer down).  The same goes for the pistol grip only, except the Pachmayr grip is somewhat set-up for the thumb safety, like Mean_Green said.  The Speedfeed pistol grip is even better because it's even more layed back.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're talking just a standard pistol grip, go for a Choate. The regular Mossberg Cruiser pistol grip is okay but it might feel a bit small. The TacStar grip is good. So is the Butler Creek pistol grip.

I have a Choate pistol grip for my 590. I like it. Usually, I keep the full fixed stock on it though.

I used to have a Winchester 1300 Stainless Marine with a unique pistol grip. It was a black polymer version of the Remington 00 Concealment model's pistol grip which looks like a rounded grip with a sawed-off stock, reminicent of the Old West and pre-1934 whipits and sawed-off side-by-sides.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top