Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2001 4:05:01 PM EDT
I am looking to build a larger caliber AR.  I have read a little concerning the 300 Whisper and it does interest me.  Would also like to know what else has come to the AR in large rifle calibers.  I know there are the .440, 50 AE, etc.  However I would like to use regular mags and retain the larger capacity.  What others are available and whom should I contact. And if anyone has personal experience I would like to hear about it.  Thanks  bybon
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Home of the Whisper line of cartridges...

www.sskindustries.com/
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I compiled a considerable amount of info on the 300 Whisper which is posted on my webpage www.quarterbore.com

I never finished my upper as I was building an Olympic Arms upper and they lost my buisness FOREVER!  There are many great places to have one of these built and Kurt's Kustom of these forums makes a great upper that I understand works very well!

I do not recomend Olympic Arms but that is because they didn't want my buisness 3-years ago and I made a comitment (which I hold to this day) that they will never see another cent of mine!

The 300 Whisper (300/221 Fireball) is about the most versitile round that you will find that will function in standard AR-15 mags and if you can add a silencer you really have the ultimate cartridge/silencer setup for the AR-15 as this is an 200-300 yard cartridge subsonic and supersonic it is close in energy to an 7.62x39 or 30-30 Winchester!  Not bad for a little case!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Unless you just *really* have to have one or you're actually going to suppress it, you're probably better off with a 7.62X39 upper.
I hate putting all that work into a wildcat caliber brass and then flinging it out of a semi.
Just my .02
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I was never happy with 7.62X39 in my AR because the lower wasn't made for such a tapered case.  The cartridges tip forward in the magazine and won't feed if you load more than 3 or 4 in the magazine.

The 300 Whisper (or 300 KKF) has a straighter case and should work as well as the 223 in standard AR mags.  The 300 Whisper, a proprietary round, is based upon the 221 Fireball, IIRC, Kurt bases his 300 KKF on the 223 case.  Getting Kurt to convert my 7.62X39 upper for 300 KKF is on my "to do" list.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
There are many larger caliber choices than the .300whisper for your AR but, it all depends on what you want.
My upper is a 24" long 1" thick stainless bull barrel from SSK industries and it is a sub MOA tack driver out to 300 yds easy, with the "right" handloads. Also I can feed my cravings to shoot with my Beta. Try that with some of those other wilcats. Top this off with the fact that the whisper is fairly reasonble to reaload price wise, recoil is negligible, it works really well in subsonic, suppressed, and it is a one to one ratio as far as mag capacity goes with .223.
But hell what do I know, I still plan on buying a .458 socom or .50 AE from Tony at Tromix just 'cause I gotta have one, hee hee.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got a 300-221 upper from CMMG in the equipment exchange. It's an Oly upper with a 1-8" twist. I ran a few boxes of the CorBon stuff through it and it's a real treat to shoot. I have dies on the way and I've been cutting 5.56 brass so I can start reloading and working on some loads. Other than the fact that I have to adjust the gas block between dramatically different loads, it just shoots without a hic-cup.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys,
This has been great info for me to consider.  I like the fact the cartridge can be tailored for numerous applications and can be reloaded.  Making my own would not be much a problem since I have been doing that with my .256 Win Mag and 30 Herrett.  I also like the ability to use the AR mag just as is.  I have also see where there are other calibers along these same lines.
joePA  was the upper very expensive?  Thanks  bybon
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#9]
bybob - you have mail
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI, if you're into the .256 Win Mag, you might want to pick yourself up a Universal Ferret, M1 Carbine chambered in .256 Win Mag.

Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Check out a 6.5mm Whisper. 6.5mm bullets generally have the highest ballistic coefficient of ANY bullet the same weight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top