Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2001 11:39:26 AM EDT
While going home for the holidays,(from New Mexico, thru Texas, to Oklahoma), do I need to unload and disassemble my CZ and Sig. Or can I just transport them assembled and unloaded thru Texas and Oklahoma?  Thanks..Andrew
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You are TOTALLY fine if they're unloaded and in a case in the trunk.

If you've got a CCW permit, you might be able to carry them loaded!  (Note:  Check reciprocity first.)
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
When you are going through Texas, you will be covered under the traveling exception, and can carry a handgun. This is defined by case law, but yoou wouldn't be violating any Texas law by carrying it in your trunk, loaded or not. Don't know about Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Moved from OK 7 years ago.  Travel with assembled and UNLOADED firearms was legal as long as they are not available from the passenger compartment, as in the trunk.
In a mini-van they had to be unloaded and cased behind the rear seat.
The same rules applied to KS, where I spent a lot of time hunting.

Have a Great Christmas Holiday and be safe...
Terry
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help!! Merry Christmas to all !
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone know of any central states that mandate diss-assembly of a firearm which would be cased outside the passenger compartment when traveling through non-resident states?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top