Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2001 11:20:35 AM EDT
Hello guys,
          would you guys mind letting me know what the pros and contras on these two guns are.
why should i like the Remington
better than the Winchester or vice-versa?. Now i know Remingtons are more popular there, but why? i mean yeah it has served in almost all of the wars you guys were involved, but is it ANY better? if so, please explain me WHY.
thanks in advanced
HUNTER FROM ARGENTINA
OUT.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Hunter223, the short answer is in my mind the Rem has mucho more options in aftermarket ie. parts, triggers, stocks, barrels and accesories.
Long range shooters generally prefer the mulitude of options.

The old model 70 Winchesters were in my mind much better built than the new ones, especially considering the current Win problems w/ their WSM rifles in which one will have difficulty chambering one of their own 300WSM Winchester rounds.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]

The old model 70 Winchesters were in my mind much better built than the new ones, especially considering the current Win problems w/ their WSM rifles in which one will have difficulty chambering one of their own 300WSM Winchester rounds.

Negative. Their quality has always been about what it is now: overrated. The pre-64 70s suffered from sloppy inletting, poor finishing (lots of grind marks), an ass-backwards system of bedding (that dumb screw dovetailed into the barrel), and occasional chamber dimension troubles. Just like the currently produced guns. Handle some pre-64 70s side-by-side with the current guns if you doubt that. Too many of these silly-ass gun writers have built up the Winchester 70's reputation into cult-like status.

As for the preference of the Model 700 over the Model 70 by accuracy nuts, there was a good article in the American Rifleman about a year ago or so. When the USMC began their scout-sniper program in the '60s, they held large numbers of Model 70s in their inventories. Winchester was approached about assisting in the development of dedicated sniper rifles and expressed little interest in the idea. Remington, however, jumped at the chance and offered lots of different options. Of course this same attitude makes its way into commercial sales.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't noticed any catastrophic quality issues with my 1995 era "classic" model 70, although I readily admit that with about 200 rounds fired, I don't know the rifle.  There is a small and very strange metal thickening about halfway down the barrel.  But it seems to shoot ok.  Sometime, I'll send it off to PacNor, but not for a while.

I think that any of the gun manufacturers have had their quality issues, but remington definitely seems the more popular hbar, and I assume that this means that big green is good stuff. Isn't the 700 supposed to have a very fast lock time?  

I have no regrets about buying the winchester.  
I like the conical feed, claw extractor and longer tube on my sporter.  I think that some have commented that the Winchester has a better bedding surface because of the flats underneath the receiver.  Does it really matter?  Apparently not. I wouldn't be disappointed with the rem 700 series.    

I'd be happy with a Savage, Ruger, Sako, Mark X, BRNO or Steyr if it shot well.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Rem 40-XB's are simply the best rifle Remington has to offer.  After shooting Tippie's 40-XB in .300 Win Mag I can tell you it is one of the finest rifles I have ever had the pleasure of firing.  The trigger on it is as close to perfect as can be done.  From the factory it has hand-selected and hand-fitted parts assembled by the gunsmiths in Remington's Custom Shop.  It's worth the money!
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
anymore opinions?
H.F.A.
OUT.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
anymore opinions?
H.F.A.
OUT.

Personally, in Winchesters, I prefer push feed over controlled feed as a gunsmith.  I also personally prefer Winchesters over Remingtons, BUT, I can't honestly say there is enough difference worth anything more than loud arguing 'twixt the two.  

Winchester:  integral recoil lug, flat bottom, bolt safety.  I like the feel of the Winchester trigger better than the Remington.

Remington: round action is easier to work on.  Jewell triggers.  

As far as quality on either one goes, well, lets just say I'd like to hold it in my hands and look at either one real close before I laid my money down.  At this moment in time, I"d give a nod to Winchester because of some very peculiar cost cutting going on at Remington.

shooter
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
40X 40X 40X 40X 40X 40X 40X 40X 40X 40X 40X

The absolute finest production bolt gun ever built.  If you got the scratch, buy it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Hunter 223,

I'll give you an option.........take any short actioned 700 , have  the entire action gone through, add a good trigger, as well as the best barrel you can afford. Drop this in either a Mc Millan, Brown even an HS Precision and your all set. The 700's are quite accurate as they are easy to bed with that round bottomed receiver and the decent recoil lug setup. Plus they have good triggers.

Current Winchester 70's are also a fine rifle but to compare the two is a sort of lemons/limes kind of thing. They are similar, yet dissimilar. I prefer the M70's as I like the easily adjusted trigger, the controlled round feed, and just prefer the general feel of the new M70 stocks. Plus like the 3 position safety that locks the firing pin....very safe.
 The older 700's are my favorites as I don't care for the new "impressed" engraving on the receivers. They are still accurate though the new 700's have terrible triggers. Plus I don't care for the 2 position safety. Though apparently Attorneys Love them.

I have owned three 40X's and all three of them could have been easily duplicated by any good accuracy Gunsmith using a quality barrel, and stock. And probably for less money than Remington wants for a 40X. They shot well, but not well enough to warrant paying what the Rem custom shop wants for one. I would build my own.

FN

Link Posted: 12/18/2001 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the Model 70 bolt strips down easier.
I like the 3 position safety too.

BUT you can't argue with  the success of the various 700's.

700P  www.remingtonle.com
700VS
700Sendero

They all use H.S. Precison stocks & shoot Real well right out of the box!

I like my Winchester Laredo & my Savage 10FP but I will be getting a Remington next year.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
nice animation you got over there Cnatra.
haha
H.F.A.
out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top