Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2001 5:25:42 AM EDT
Sorry, but I didn't give much detail when I asked the 1st time around. Looking to buy my 1st AR chambered in .223 with 1 in 9" twist. Will be used for a walking varminter, predator calling rig, & paper. Not concerned about saving pelts. Main targets are groundhogs from 50 - 300 yard range, fox, coon, & possibly yotes (if I can get one in range). I have a few HEAVY varmint rigs that perform well, but are not fun to pack all day. With all that I want to spend $700 - $900 tops. Rifle will be scoped, so flat top is a must, also want weight under 8lbs for rifle alone. Thinking of a Bushy 16 or 20" vmatch, a DPMS sweet 16, or I could build one. Since I'm a newbie, I thought maybe a complete rifle would be best route.

I've laid in a tall order here I know, can anyone fill that order?

Appreciate the help
HS
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the scope included in the $700-900, or do you already have one for it? I have a Bushy shorty A2 that is great. But you need something with a flatop and probably freefloated. Check the link below. They have a varmit kit that would suit your needs. Excellent customer service. I got a 20A3(not freefloated) kit for $435 from them. I couldn't be happier with it. I can shoot 1-2 MOA open sights with it(if I can do it). My scope shoould be here tommorrow. I am expecting it to shoot at least 1MOA scoped.

www.jtdistributing.com
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]
hg112, thx for the link. I was not including the scope in that price range. I can use a scope off another rifle till I get one for the AR. I like to do that & see how how much I want to put in a scope. If the rifle is accurate it deserves good glass, if it doesn't float my boat, then lessor glass is in order. The temporary scope will be a Leupold 6x18x40.

Thx,
HS
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster V-match 16inch upper great all around firearm.Have one myself would not give it up for anything.Good for coyote out to 300 yards if one was to do his part.Compact accurate and dependable.Just maybe what you'r looking for.Can pull duty as a papper puncher defence/house gun(with the correct scope or red dot sight),or a varmit getter.Getting into this family of firearms can be very additive just like Jays Chips you can't just have one.Good luck and welcome to the family
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're seriously talking about varmints, I would questions the 1/9 and look at a 1/12 barrel for 50-55gr HP.  I use a 1/9 on my Colt 6721 Tactical Carbine, but I really have to work with 69gr MatchKings to make it work.  I myself am considering a 1/12 upper for cheaper plinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top