Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2001 8:15:01 PM EDT
Hey Everyone,

There are some people on Glock Talk and else where that swear by Mobil 1 for their guns.

Does anybody here use motor oil for their ARs?  It seems to me that it should work just fine; however (of course) it is not recommended by any manufacturer that I've seen.

Comments?

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Mobil One will work for everything,including cleaning!
You will not see anyone endorse it as such on any board.
Just try it for a thousand rounds and see how well it works.
Vunderbah!!
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about using motor oil on firearms.  However, Mobil does make a Mobil 1 spray lube which should work just as well as any other quality lube.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I have recently purchased a quart of Mobil 1 0w 30.  It seems to be the same consistency of clp for what thats worth.  I've heard it works good in ars.  But I haven't heard of anything that won't work good in an ar.  Except for WD-40 which is a much better penetrant than lubricant.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#4]
it should be a good lubricant...but I wonder how well it functions as a preservative...
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
15-W-50 is what you want.

Any oil lighter than that should only be used in "contained" environments such as spring housings. Lighter oil will acually fly off some high-speed actions. Heavier oil will stick, thus the difference between oil and grease in many mechanical applications.

I use Mobil 1 on my hanguns...three Glocks, S&W M19, Colt Pocketlite .380.

I use Breakfree on rifles/shotguns.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
it should be a good lubricant...but I wonder how well it functions as a preservative...

Not well, according to my tests.  It was at the bottom of the pack when it came to corrosion resistance.  I sprayed my test material with salt water for several days and recorded the results.  The best protectants were 1) BreakFree CLP, 2) Royco CLP, 3) Eezox CLP, 4) SC Johnson's paste wax.  

Everything else was at the bottom of the pack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top