Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2001 6:49:00 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with these.  I just finished reading a few old articles and most were quite enthusiastic.  Will Armalite be doing the actual work on these or will another branch?  Thanks  bybon
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are sooooooooo cool, definately need to get promoted to fund my habits.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have two of them, one Armalite, the other Sterling.  Now all I need is a Howa.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The Sterling that my friend has is really, really nice! Gotta love that folding full size stock!
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Good Rifle , but NOT as good AR15. can use GI mags with a dremil cut mod. The folding stock makes the gun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Now don't anyone think I'm prejudiced simply because I own an ArmaLite AR-180 Costa Mesa, Howa , Sterling and an AR-18 (NIB) machine gun.

The AR-180 is the sleeper deal of the pre-bans -
more evil features per dollar.  Flash-suppressor, bayonet lug, high-caps, pistol grip and side folding stock.  
If you can find a scope this is one slick dude -mounts/dismounts in about five seconds.

For mags you can buy ArmaLite mags for about $40.00 or as already mentioned you can have AR-15 mags notched.

This rifle has a 1:12 twist barrel and you must use a 52 grn - 55 grn bullet for accuracy and then you've got a tack-driver.

This was the favorite rifle of the IRA - it was named the "widow maker."
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:  Will Armalite be doing the actual work on these or will another branch?  Thanks  bybon

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Are you referring to the new AR-180B or..........???
If you're asking if the brand will be ArmaLite or Eagle Arms the brand will be ArmaLite.

Obviously the 180B will lose most evil features but will use AR-15 mags with no conversion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#7]
have owned a few of them and my opinion is that it is one heck of a weapon and is only one of a few rifles I regret having sold.
sold my last one about 10 years ago for $400 and that was about the price back then. have been looking at the shows the last couple of years have not had the opertunity to buy one for under $1200 but I do here of some being bought for around $800 or so and if I have the bucks on me and find one for a decent price it will go home with me.
have owned all 3 types and liked them all and back then it seemed to me everyone wanted more for costa mesa guns, howa's and steerlings in that order but now they are harder to find the prefered pecking order is howa, costa mesa and then steerling but i would not pass up any for that price in good shape.  jon
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Sterlings are definitely the cheesiest of the three, but that is reflected in their lower asking price.  Poorer finish and workmanship, and I will never forget the Sterling a friend of mine bought NIB back in college (about 1979 or so).  Took it to the range, pulled trigger, nothing happened.  Rotated safety to "safe," BOOM!  Needless to say it went back to the dealer.

Anyway, my present Sterling doesn't have that problem although its trigger isn't nearly as nice as the Costa Mesa.  I'd *really* like an AR18 to play with like 5subslr5.

Be careful with the folding stock.  I just fold mine when there is good reason to, as it is fragile and particularly the hinge mechanism is subject to damage.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a sterling and it was very reliable. The only problem was the sheet metal that the side folder attached to cracked and broke. It is quite fragile on the ones I've seen. I has a local welding shop fabricate me a new system.

Like an idiot I sold it in '94 for a down payment for a new car. The price back then is almost the same as you can get one today.

You can easily convert AR mags to the AR-180 by using lipstick (paint or marker works too) to mark the mag catch, insert the mag, leave an imprint on the mag, and use a dremel tool to cut the correct slot on the magazine. Worked perfectly
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
5subsir5,
Exactly.  So Armalite will be doing the production.  That's good to hear.  Thanks for the response.  bybon
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
5 , $40.00 for factory mags??  That would be a great deal in my area. I have had a Sterling on my gun show table w/ 2 factory 20 rd mags for 4 shows. $895 for rifle w/ 2 mags. No action on rifle , but several offers on mags. Highest yet , $70.00 for a mag !! One stinking mag !!  Turned it down , really want the rifle buyer to get the mags (its not always about money). I agree this system is the best deal on a "preban" , just make sure that you shoot the rifle before the deal is done , not all of them work.    
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey guys, since we are talking Ar180's here, I have a question. On my Sterling made model the magwell rubs the back left side of my mags something terrible. Anyone know how to cure this problem shy of taking it to a gunsmith. It really rips into my mags, tears the metal up something nasty. Function is 100% on rifle, just have one hell of a time pulling mags out.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#13]
The Ar180 is what the mini 14 should have been!
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:26:44 PM EDT
[#14]
NODDAH,
Now wouldn't that have been something.  With Ruger's resources and prices that would have been an interesting alternative to the AR.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#15]

On my Sterling made model the magwell rubs the back left side of my mags something terrible. Anyone know how to cure this problem shy of taking it to a gunsmith. It really rips into my mags, tears the metal up something nasty. Function is 100% on rifle, just have one hell of a time pulling mags out.

Are these real AR18 mags, or are you using converted AR15 mags?  You will notice that the difference is not just the slot on the AR18 mag, the 15 mag has a "bump" on it over the mag catch square hole.  Ideally, this has to be filed down or otherwise flattened to fit properly in the 18.  The followers also are different, but that doesn't have anything to do with your problem.

Hope that helps . . .
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
....... but now they are harder to find the prefered pecking order is howa, costa mesa and then steerling but i would not pass up any for that price in good shape.  jon

Also worth remembering is the total of all three manufacturers is only about 20,000 rifles. When you consider the hundreds of thousands of AR's/M16's AK's that's hardly a drop in the bucket.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Once had a Costa Mesa AR-18.. Damn fun rifle.. Suprisingly accurate.. On full auto, it'd eat a 30 round mag like a five year old would a bag of pixie stix..
Cyclic rate was in the neighborhood of 900 RPM..

Unscrewing the flash hider, and cranking off a stick during a night shoot was a great show as well..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I know this is the wrong place to post this but I have for sale:
NIB - AR-180 Sterling with all paper work, correct mags, manual, etc.
LNIB-AR-180 Howa with everything correct.
LNIB-AR-180 Costa Mesa with everything correct.

Took me about (8) years to find my first NIB gun.

These are not posted for sale anywhere as yet.

Any interest post and I'll reply
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Once had a Costa Mesa AR-18.. Damn fun rifle.. Suprisingly accurate.. On full auto, it'd eat a 30 round mag like a five year old would a bag of pixie stix..
Cyclic rate was in the neighborhood of 900 RPM..

Unscrewing the flash hider, and cranking off a stick during a night shoot was a great show as well..

Meplat-

Link Posted: 12/17/2001 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The Ar180 is what the mini 14 should have been!

Speaking of the Mini-14, excellent action but cheap, cheap barrel.  In about 1994 the barrel cost Ruger $8.00 - yep $8.00.
Snatch the barrel, put on a decent barrel and float it and you've got a $1,000+ shooter.
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#21]

How much?
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

How much?

You've got mail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top