Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2001 7:44:49 AM EDT
Just wondering what you guys think of this firearm...I keep hearing that it is just too big to be used effectively for men with normal size hands. My hands are 7 1/2 inches from the tip of my fore finger to my wrist.

I understand that the .50 sits on a larger frame than a .357, but in your opinion, if the .357 if comfortable, would it be safe to say that the .50 would be?

I could look up a friend of mine who owns a .357 and try it out for size, but we just don't have many gun shows around here, or dealers with this caliber of pistol.

I'd hate to order it, and it prove to be too large, I'd greatly appreciate your opinions.  

Mr Clean    ¥      
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I have handled an DE 50AE, and the 357Mag version is not that much different.  If your are able to handle 357 version comfortably, you shouldn't have a problem with the 50AE, just a lot more recoil & blast, and also of course 50AE ammo is approximately $1/shot for factory loaded rounds. So if you do buy, it would probably be worthwhile to learn to reload this stuff.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#2]
When you say .357, are you talking about a Desert Eagle in .357?  If so, the frames are the exact same size.  It's just the barrel, bolt, and mags that are different.  This gun is huge, and the recoil is impressive...although the weight and the gas system keep the recoil from being painful.  I personally wouldn't mind getting one just for the hell of it.  But I don't have an extra grand sitting around.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys, Thanks for your responses, and keep 'em coming.

Brou:
I'd gotten two different figures (now three) concerning the frame size. Yours and another stating they were the same, and yet another from a very knowledgeable collector/dealer stating that the 44 and the 50 (all DE) sat on a larger frame than the 357...I would love to find that you are right because the old friend of mine that I mentioned who owns the 357 is quite a bit smaller than I am.
As far as price goes, I hope I can get one for a grand but I'm afraid it'll be closer to 1,200 or 1,300.

Warlord:
He, he, he,
That recoil, and blast is what I want to hear! LOL...I suppose I wont be happy until I own this monster, maybe the knowledge that dumping a clip would cost me eight bucks, each time,  will keep my trigger from itching so much. I guess my only other concern is that I broke my wrists a little over two years ago, and wonder how they'll react to the recoil, they do fine with my 1991a1 Colt 45...I guess time will tell.        
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I was in that "should I buy it" mode a couple of years ago. I did and have fired quite a few rounds. Please don't ask how many because I didn't count. I have fired over three boxes of ammo though. I am a person of smaller stature, my hands are about average size. I have no problem holding the gun or any problems with the grip. It feels really nice, just a bit heavy. If ammo costs are your concern, don't by it. If you want something to collect, and shoot buy it. I get a kick out of the other shooters at the range. I shoot a couple of rounds then unload it and set it down. Lots of people gather to look at it. The recoil is a different type than other handguns, not the muzzle flip type recoil. It is more of a push your arm and body backward recoil.

Last year I was outside Valentine Nebraska. I was shooting prairie dogs and decided to go for a walk after shoting all morning. Since this area had some rattlers, I opted to carry mt DE. You should see what it does to a rattle snake...

Great gun, fun to shoot, I hope you will enjoy yours should you decide to purchase one!  
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Vultar,

Better be careful shooting at prairie dogs, I've heard they're starting to shoot back...

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Warlord:
He, he, he,
That recoil, and blast is what I want to hear! LOL...I suppose I wont be happy until I own this monster, maybe the knowledge that dumping a clip would cost me eight bucks, each time,  will keep my trigger from itching so much. I guess my only other concern is that I broke my wrists a little over two years ago, and wonder how they'll react to the recoil, they do fine with my 1991a1 Colt 45...I guess time will tell.

Yep, this gun is heap powerful medicine.  A 44mag case will fit into of a 50AE case with room to spare.  Just make sure you shoot the gun out doors and you got some real good hearing protection because it is real loud.  I have heard of people getting "car pool" tunnel from shooting too many heavy recoiling rounds but I don't know personal.  It is definitely more than a 45ACP!  In the future if you think the 50AE is bit too much, the 357 conversion kit will fit the DE Mk IX.

There are parts interchangibility between the two frames of the DE Mark VII & the IX. You should contact Magnum Industries, the mfgr for the DE and double-check all the facts
www.magnumresearch.com/

Another interesting DE site to check out:
zvis.com/dep/dep.shtml

OT: if you like big boomers try Freedom Arm Cusall 454 SA revolver. Real expensive piece of hardware.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one for awhile.  A fully loaded 9mm 115gr will file inside an empty .50 case with plenty of room to spare.  If you like recoil this one has it, but I believe it felt less than a .41 Taurus titanium.  The gun felt large to me, but not uncomfortably so.  By comparison, a 1911 feels near perfect.  It weighed nearly as much as my hunting rifle so I sold it off.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#9]
TheMrClean.....depends on what you want to do with it.   I have 40+ pistols and rifles and have shot a friend's .50AE and .454 Casul.  Do not have a great desire to shoot the .50AE  again...BIG BANG, BIG RECOIL, BIG NOISE!

If you're going hunting for rhinos, this may very well be the piece...other than that, a very expensive (to shoot) toy.

ps/  I routinely carry a Kimber .45 Elite.

Cya
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Same frame.  Barrels are, necessarily, different.

Magnum Research now sells the Deagle XIX in a carry case with a barrel, magazine, and bolt assembly for each caliber (where required...).  They sell three versions, one with both 6" and 10" barrels, one with just 6" barrels, and one with just 10" barrels.  There's only one frame in the package.  It's out on Magnum Research's site.

As to the "gotta be a big man for this big gun" thing... it's horsepoo.  The gun doesn't recoil as much as you'd think (it's a heavy pistol, the slide is not a large or heavy part, and it's gas, not recoil, operated to boot).  

It's a very good handgun for hunting.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just wondering what you guys think of this firearm...I keep hearing that it is just too big to be used effectively for men with normal size hands. My hands are 7 1/2 inches from the tip of my fore finger to my wrist.

I understand that the .50 sits on a larger frame than a .357, but in your opinion, if the .357 if comfortable, would it be safe to say that the .50 would be?

I could look up a friend of mine who owns a .357 and try it out for size, but we just don't have many gun shows around here, or dealers with this caliber of pistol.

I'd hate to order it, and it prove to be too large, I'd greatly appreciate your opinions.  

Mr Clean    ¥      

I would not buy the 50 AE Desert Eagle. My brother has one and I have shot it quite a bit. It costs a dollar a shot for factory rounds, which caused me to start reloading this caliber. This pistol is quite heavy, has a terrible recoil, and is very LOUD. Its fun to shoot a clip or two but thats it. My brother's 50 AE has a scope on it, so in theory, it should be accurate. I can shoot much more accurately with smaller caliber handguns. After the first shot, all you can think about is how much the thing is going to kick when you pull the trigger.

Its cool for impressing your friends but thats about all...FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#12]
It is one honkin' big gun, but oddly enough, it wasnt too awkward.  I also didnt think the recoil was all that bad.  Noise was like a bomb and the muzzle flash was atrotious, but I hit 5 outta 6 cans my first run through.  Wouldnt mind having one, but is really to big to be very usefull for anything other than a toy, IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Check the Dec 20 issue of Shotgun News. Bachman pawn and gun has Desert eagles in stock at decent prices.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Marvyl,

That picture is tooooo much! I knew there was a reason I always take extra guns. It is to prepare for the frontal assault.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#15]
i found a used crome plated mk7 desert eagle with aimpoint and 3 mags for 900.00

i was like everyone else i thought it was a really cool big gun and would be neat to have
it was great for impressing friends on and off the range lots off boom and heavy as hell.

to make a long story short

1. after 60 or so rounds the aimpoint was toast

2. i had hand surgery a few years ago resulting in some loss of strength in my right hand the 50ae's recoil was substancial but not painful (at least for the first 15 rounds)

3.  unless you have an extrenely small hand you wont have any  proplems

4. ammo aint cheap if your not going to reload for it your not going to shoot it much

5. unless your a stout hearted recoil junky it wont be a fun gun to shoot

6. IMO if you want a de for recreational shooting get the 357 you will get more use out of it

7. 6 months of owning a 50 de was enough for me i eventualy traded it for a beretta m9 commerative and a BUNCH of ammo.

Link Posted: 12/16/2001 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A 44mag case will fit into of a 50AE case with room to spare

I think thats what I want, Something that will swallow the "once most powerfull handgun in the world" whole. Thanks for the links, I set one to my favorites.

Quoted:
you can get 200 rounds for $170, thats $17 a box.

Thanks, I think this site will really benefit me as well.

If you're going hunting for rhinos, this may very well be the piece...other than that, a very expensive (to shoot) toy.

Cya

Where about do you live in Tx? I'm in Sulphur Springs 80 miles from Dallas.
As far as hunting goes, we have some big wild hogs around here that we like to hunt but I really think I just want it for a toy. I spent the last 10 years hooked on paintball and finally got burned out on it, but I would easily shoot 100 bucks worth of paintballs in a day, not to mention the guns, HP air/bottles,  and what not...kind of pricey, so I'm used to that.

Quoted:

It's a very good handgun for hunting.

All GOOD NEWS...Thanks alot guys, I have defiantly found my new "home" message board. I think you all have cleared up most, if not all, my questions.

Mr Clean   ¥  
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Vultar,
Better be careful shooting at prairie dogs, I've heard they're starting to shoot back...

Marvl:
Tis okay,

I usually send these friends of mine to do a little recon before our hunts :)

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/017/he/y4/1M/mJ88419.jpg
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I've fired the DE .44 single-handed and hit targets at 200+ yards; controllable, but no stinging sensation, like .44 revolvers. On the other hand, I've read that the .50 is somewhat punishing.

You might consider the .44 cal. as a viable option, as it packs plenty of power.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top