Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2001 2:55:29 PM EDT
Since I didn't get anything at the gun show last weekend, I am seriously considering a 629 classic 5"$545 NIB, a model 29 6", (still looking for one of these),   or  a 657 6" 41.mag, about $450.  I haven't shot a 44 or 41 for a long time, input would be appreciated by those in the know, your likes or dislikes of these Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've found that the .41 Magnum actually has more recoil, but I got most of my experience with a Mountain Gun which is kind of on the light side.  Both are great cartridges.  I personally prefer the .44 Magnum because they are more available, but the .41 is just as hard hitting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you stuck on the S&W?
What's it gonna be used for?
Had to ask.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally like the .41 magnum round.  It has almost as much knock-down power as the .44 magnum, but alot less felt recoil.  I feel the .41 Magnum is an ideal hunting round.  It has enough power for bear, boar, and white-tails.  

I wish S&W still made the Mod 57 with a 8-3/8" barrel.  The longest that they offer is 6" at this time.  I ended up buying a Dan Wesson.  

On the down side, not to many choices offered in .41 ammo and what is offered is priced kind of steep.  If you are a reloader, this isn't really a problem.  If you want to have availability of off the shelf ammo everywhere you go, get the .44.  

OSA

Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
BusMaster007

"Are you stuck on the S&W?", No not really stuck on S&W, Just that their triggers are generally better than just about anyone else.

What's it gonna be used for?  Maybe some deer hunting, or shooting rocks at 300 -500 yards. A big bore revolver is really the only thing that I don't yet have that I want, oohh, and a big bore rifle, you know 45-70.  But I think for now I'm looking at S&W.  Although,I fondled a Taurus 41 mag. with 2.5 barrel at the gun show the other day, if it would a had the 4" barrel it would be down stairs right now.  Oh well.  
Had to ask.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The S&W does have a nice trigger. Unfortunatley they rattle apart.
Either choice is fine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BusMaster007

"Are you stuck on the S&W?", No not really stuck on S&W, Just that their triggers are generally better than just about anyone else.

What's it gonna be used for?  Maybe some deer hunting, or shooting rocks at 300 -500 yards. A big bore revolver is really the only thing that I don't yet have that I want, oohh, and a big bore rifle, you know 45-70.  But I think for now I'm looking at S&W.  Although,I fondled a Taurus 41 mag. with 2.5 barrel at the gun show the other day, if it would a had the 4" barrel it would be down stairs right now.  Oh well.  
Had to ask.  

It took awhile to get back to this as I got lost doing a search on the Firing Line Forum for the Remington 700P LTR .308...

I understand the S&W trigger feel "thing".  
I still would like to add the 649 Bodyguard to my .357 collection niche.
All of my revolvers, except one,( Charter Arms .38 Bulldog 3"bbl., my first gun given to me by my MOTHER ) are Rugers.
I was hot for the S&W's when I first got into guns, but, as I read more, I liked the Ruger's construction and engineering better.
I ultimately chose Ruger wheelguns for their inherent strength.  Reloading manuals have "Ruger ONLY" sections in them for that reason.
That's why I had to ask those questions.

Based on your answers, I would recommend the Ruger Redhawk in the 5.5"bbl. for the sidearm, and the Marlin 1895 in the .45-70.

Both are now available in Stainless Steel, if you want that in your guns.
Otherwise, old blue is fine and dandy and costs a bit less.
The Ruger Redhawk can be had in .45 Colt, if you wanted to have a pair of ".45's".
The Ruger Redhawk can also be had with a 7.5"bbl. with scope mounting capability for versatility.
You've got some fun to look forward to, that's for sure!
Good Luck shopping.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a S&W 629 6" with Leupold 2.5X scope on top you can't get much better for hunting deer.  I've had several S&W's over the years (no new ones in awhile though) and they've all been excellent guns, never had one rattle apart either.  I have several friends with the Ruger single actions and they are accurate, reliable guns, I just hate the look and feel of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top