Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2001 7:40:53 PM EDT
I'm new to the world of FN FAL's, I've got a Century L1A1 built on an Imbel receiver.

Does it take metric or inch mags, or either?

How can I tell the difference between metric and inch mags?

Thanks, Pepper
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The Centruy L1A1 takes the more expensive and harder to find inch mags.

There's not much to be known about the FAL that you can't find here
www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The Century receivers are inch pattern, but many of the IMBEL receiver Centrury rifles, used inch pattern parts kits, but assembled them in a metric receiver.

I agree, ask this question in the site listed above.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
FAL site is down for a few days.
If you have an IMBEL receiver these are mostly metric. Check the mag that came with it.
Metric mags have a small rib running from top to bottom of mag on the right side rear and a small notch at the top for the mag catch.
I am not familar with inch mag.

Added  TAPCO has NIW metric mag 9-10 bucks in lots of ten.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The Century L1A1 takes a Metric magazine. It uses Inch pattern parts mated to a metric patter upper receiver.

Austria and Belgium make good metric pattern FAL mags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
An L1A1 receiver will usually accept most metric pattern Mags (but not visa versa).  The Inch pattern Mag. has a large (1/2" square) rectangular magazine catch, at the upper front end. It appears to be welded on) The metric version has a small (3/16") protrusion stamped out from the mag body.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I got mine from Tapco.  Good deal for brand new mags.

However, www.gunsnammo.com/index_files/magazines.htm now has a better deal.

$10 each, $90 for 10.  Brand new.  Why buy used?  I bought some of the $5 used mags, and they sometimes hang up on removal... from the follower.  New ones work perfect.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Everyone, thanks for the great info.  This is truely a great resource with great people.

RayVet, thanks to your description even a simpleton like myself can figure it out...It does take Metric mags.

I'll be shooting tomorrow, uless it's snowing hard at my favorite spot up in the Cascades.  I'll post a report on my newest rifle.  

Regards, Pepper
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of those Century FAL's and mine can use both inch and metric mags.  Is that unusual or is it normal?  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Just so you know, inch pattern mags can be converted to metric mags quite easily if you had to do it. I converted a couple of inch pattern 30rd mags to fit my metric rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top