Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2001 11:48:27 AM EDT
Springfield Armory is producing a new run of M1 Garands, springfield-armory.com/whatsnew.shtml, available in .308 or 30'06. I read elsewhere where they are retailing for ~$995.

Any thoughts or feedback on these, especially concerning the new receivers?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard the ones coming out now are on Italian receivers. Should be excellent but no where near worth the price they are asking. I've also heard they are going to start using cast receivers. If they are as good as the M1A receivers they should be fine but still no where near the price they want. Why would anyone buy an M-1 with a cast receiver when U.S.G.I. receivers/rifles are so inexpensive(relatively) and plentiful?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The M-1s delivered in November were the Italian Breda receiver guns.  Starting in early December, Springfield marked receivers were used starting with ser. number 7100001.  I have the 5th one made on this new run, and am very happy with it.  Still unfired due to the fact that I haven't decided whether or not to keep it pristine and NIB as a collector piece.  I mean, its been so long since Springfield made these, and having such a low number on a limited run might be worthwhile.

Concerning the receiver, I have been told that all of Springfield's receivers are cast.  Upon close inspection of mine, I can see a few uneven areas over the larger flat surfaces, but they are really only visible with a good coat of oil and the right lighting.  The stocks are new (maybe Boyds), as are the barrels.  Everything else in unissued USGI parts.

True there are less expensive M-1s out there, but they aren't Springfields.  They are often built from used parts on receivers like Lithgrow or something.  These receivers have received poor markings by several gunsmiths who specialize in M-1s.  Some have been found to be dangerously out of tolerance according to some on the Culver's board.

Oh, one more thing.  I tried to order another one as soon as this one came in.  I was told that no other orders are being accepted until some time in 2002 due to the backlog that has already formed.  

Guess I should have ordered 2 to begin with.

Saleen
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]

True there are less expensive M-1s out there, but they aren't Springfields. They are often built from used parts on receivers like Lithgrow or something. These receivers have received poor markings by several gunsmiths who specialize in M-1s. Some have been found to be dangerously out of tolerance according to some on the Culver's board.

Guess you've forgotten about the DCM Garands, huh? www.odcmp.com At $500, why bother with a Springfield, Inc. (not to be confused with Springfield Armory, U.S. Arsenal).
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]
No, I didn't forget about the ODCMP Garands.  I still may get one and probably will in the end but they certainly are not new.  Though they are considered servicable, it is more than possible to get one with a barrel that is more than half shot out, or that has almost certainly been subjected to extended exposure to corrosive ammo.

The new ones are just a sure thing which is why I opted to buy one.  That and the fact that they only cost $260 more kinda swayed me in their direction as well.  Also, I am realatively sure that there will be ODCMP Garands for the next few months at least.  I couldn't say that about the first of this special edition run of Springfields.

I am sure that there are still some gems out there to be had from the ODCMP, but they are few and far between.  Consider how long these things have been in their warehouses now, and time is not their friend.

Saleen  
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
oops, thought my 'puter locked and re-submitted.

Saleen
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
All of the ODCMP Garands that I've seen have been nice rifles. Hardly shot out or corroded. Do a search on here. There are quite a few individuals who've posted pictures of their recent purchases. More of a bargain than the Springfield, Inc. guns.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 I mean, its been so long since Springfield made these, and having such a low number on a limited run might be worthwhile.

Saleen

Please don't think that the present Springfield Arms has anything to do with the Springfield Armory that built the original Garand rifles.  The original was a U.S. Army run factory.  The present one is a new corporation that took the old name.  Zero relationship between the two.

Much like the original Armalite division of Fairchild Aircraft and the present Armalite, Inc.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah Saleen I think u r confusing the Springfield Inc with the old Springfield Armory......no correlation between the two
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds good.

Just be careful you don't get Garand thumb.
Hurts like a bitch for days.
I know the people who did it will know what I'm talking about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top