Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2001 4:45:07 PM EDT
my local gunshop has DPMS Lo-Pro AR-15's in for sale. $655

they do not come with a forward assist nor a brass deflector. the gunshop owner says us civilians dont need a forward assist or a dust cover. (moron)

what is the opinion of board members about these rifles.

no-pro lib
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
DPMS builds them without those features mentioned to save on manufacturing costs and of course pass on some savings to the shooter. In reality "us civilans" indeed do not "need" a dust cover nor a brass deflector however I think an AR just looks wrong without them.  The Rifleman did a report on this model last month I believe and was favorably impressed with performance, their accuracy was in my opinion rather lackluster with the best average group hovering around an inch.  My 20" standard model will do that with open sights! It uses a cast lower and I think the upper is cast too, I think this hardly makes a difference but you might think differently.  My DPMS rifle is a quality product and I have no doubt that this would be also.  It looks like lots of bang for the buck but your local retailer has it priced right at retail, with some scrounging you might be able to find it at a better price. Try this place its where I got mine and they are very nice people to work with.  www.k2-sports.com/877-852-7767 (toll free)
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]
i could see the brass deflector being removed if your right handed.

the dust cover depends on where you live. if you live in a sandy area such as Georgia or Florida it could be a detriment.

the bolt forward assist is a must. not usefull at all for real jams, but helps if the action gets "gummy" with too much carbon. the model i looked at i released the bolt and could not push it all the way forward because of no bolt forward assist and it was lubed.

forward lib
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My rifle was gummy with its preserveitive oils when I bought it, the one you looked at no doubt needed a good cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
With the lo-pro uppers, a lot of people cut a slot in the upper, and place a screw/handle in the bolt carrier and use that to cycle the bolt.

You can make the rifle more like other semi-autos this way.

They have more metal in the lo-pro uppers to compensate for cutting the slot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top