Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2001 5:20:03 PM EDT
Hello and thank you for the information I have learned so far! I have a question about possibly upgrading my DPMS bolt carrier assembly to chrome or titanium. I was wandering which one would be better, and if it was even worth the extra money to do this? Will it help any in either accuracy or ejecting shells? Thank you. --Tim
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I dunno'? I heard Titanium is better than Chrome "harder". Titanium is very light weight, hard stuff, I got a diver's watch I paid 300 buck's for and it is made of solid titanium, really light but it will not dent believe me. So I dunno what is best for an AR, a couple guy's here said it's really not better just more money and the bolt carrier has a pretty gold color to it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's a gold color, that is Titanium Nitride. A coating applied to steel to improve surface hardness.. most titanium alloys are silvery grey..

Chromimum plated bolt carriers are pretty well proven, having been used for a long time..

As to making a bolt carrier, and bolt from Titanium, unless the buffer had it's mass increased, or the buffer spring replaced to compensate for the reduced mass, I'd expect a lot of sheared rims, and failures to extract..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
My DPMS came with thier chromed bolt carrier and all I can tell you is that it is easier to clean than a blued carrier and its a pretty gray color.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top