Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2001 11:54:38 AM EDT
Does anyone have a suggestion for shooting an AR at night. Last night while I was checking cows I had some (a pair) of coyotes come within 100-150 yards of me, when I leveled down on them with my M4gery I couldn't see crap through the peep sights. Is there a special way to shoot at night with A1 or A2 sights so you can actually aim at what you are shooting at or is it a spray and pray thing??
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 12:46:45 PM EDT
You Have 5 choices:

(in order of cost - Most expensive first)

NVG type scope

Trjicon Scope (reticle glows)

Red-Dot type site (Aimpoint or Trijicon)

"Tactical" Light (like a Surefire)

Tritium Night Sights (I recommend getting just the front Trjicon Tritium sight).

Best bang for the buck is the red-dot type sight, and works well day or night. NVG will extend your visible range but is the most expensive. The 'Tac-Light' will allow you to use your standard iron sites (but would it be legal or considered "Jacking"?)
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:05:05 PM EDT
two words, night vision.

if you can swing 600 for a gen1 scope w/ IR or 1200 for gen2 w/ IR its great fun. and every cattle rancher should have one.

scott
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:10:36 PM EDT
We always just put our girlfriends out there with car mounted lights. Perfectly legal for varmints in Colorado and is a fun date night for the girls. Shooting rats at night at the city dump is almost as much fun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:00:33 PM EDT
Check the law in your state before using the lights. In Oklahoma it is only legal with a shotgun and pellets no larger than #6 shot.
Top Top