Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2001 8:02:55 PM EDT
I was just pondering the idea of getting another AK. I had an Arsenal slr-95 and sold it for a great profit last year but now I want another.  I would like some input as to whos is the best AK for the money right now.  I am not interested in the wussy 10 round guns.  Are the Hungarian models still available... they used to be real nice......

INPUT.....MORE INPUT PLEASE!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Whose is the best AK?

Mine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Kalashnikov-USA, or Krebs makes some really fine AK's, if you can get one. They're typically behind on supply.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The VEPR are really nice models, but they aren't exactly a true AK IMHO.  I have handled a few AKs and personnaly think the Mak90s are the best.  They have good fit and finish plus the internalparts are better.  The trigger/disconnect has two hook prongs that "grab" the hammer compared to other AKs (like the POS Sars) that have only one prong.  The Mak90s go for about $300 and up.

Of course you will get lots of different opinions.  Some people think $200 is the most anyone should spend for any AK47.  I strongly disagrre and would willingly pay upto $450 for the right Mak90 and never regret it for a minute.

What ever you deside, just get one.  The AK47 is probably my second favorite rifle............beaten out only by my AR15[:D}.

sgtar15

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
that's good info, thanks.  makes me regret not buying more mak90s when they were $300, 3 years ago...  but still got mine along w/my new pos oly ar15 =)  the ak is never too far from my bedside, it's a weapon U can TRUST. I don't think u can find a new mak90 for $300 anymore...

Quoted:
The VEPR are really nice models, but they aren't exactly a true AK IMHO.  I have handled a few AKs and personnaly think the Mak90s are the best.  They have good fit and finish plus the internalparts are better.  The trigger/disconnect has two hook prongs that "grab" the hammer compared to other AKs (like the POS Sars) that have only one prong.  The Mak90s go for about $300 and up.

Of course you will get lots of different opinions.  Some people think $200 is the most anyone should spend for any AK47.  I strongly disagrre and would willingly pay upto $450 for the right Mak90 and never regret it for a minute.

What ever you deside, just get one.  The AK47 is probably my second favorite rifle............beaten out only by my AR15[:D}.

sgtar15

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:19:58 AM EDT
[#5]
IMHO I prefer the AK's built on the milled Bulgarian receivers.  Much better quality and durability than any stamped gun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#6]
The Soviets dropped the milled receiver AK47 circa 1958 for the improved, much lighter, more reliable AKM made on a stamped receiver.  

"Best" AK begs the "best for what?" question.  The stamped Romanian rifles are rugged and reliable.  Their military finish may not be the fanciest, but that's cosmetics.  Same with the stamped Chinese models.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought the only reason for going to a stamped rec was purely for ease of production?!

Quoted:
The Soviets dropped the milled receiver AK47 circa 1958 for the improved, much lighter, more reliable AKM made on a stamped receiver.  

"Best" AK begs the "best for what?" question.  The stamped Romanian rifles are rugged and reliable.  Their military finish may not be the fanciest, but that's cosmetics.  Same with the stamped Chinese models.

-- Chuck

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#9]
IMHO the finest AKs are the Hungarian SA85M, w/ FEG receiver. 20,000 Palestineans can't be wrong. There was one for sale here the other day.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#10]
the stamped receiver can take alot more full auto(and semi auto) pounding before it cracks
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Finnish Valmet or Sako made AK variants, excellent quality all around, superbly accurate.

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I think a lot of people thinks that stamped recievers are no good because they are stamped
sheetmetal, well i have two MAK90's one i keep
brand new. the other is my shooting gun i keep
in my pickup! reliable; really this gun, ive shot everything from junk old rusty dangerous ammo through it to see for myself maaaan! this
gun fired without a hicup! now my ar15 would choke over this kind of ammo but this ak is like
the energizer bunny keeps on going! going! going!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
i agree with all who like the MAK90. i have a norinco that can go all damn day. may not be the most accurate gun, but probably the most reliable and one of the most fun!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out Bowers board.  Someone has a NIB MAK 90 for $350 including a weaver rail scope mount receiver and a couple mags.

Edited to add I just tried to e-mail the seller and it wouldn't go through.  Damn, I had almost talked myself into that deal.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
There is a series of Hungarian AKs with Steyr made barrels. The only way you can tell if it has the Steyr barrel is with the tear drop to the gas tube before it turns towards the barrel. In testing it will almost shoot 1.5 MOA. Tighter than I have ever seen an AK shoot. Though if you could find one it would probably be used.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Bulgarian SLR-95 (Arsenal) milled receiver, Steyr hammer forged barrel, dual hook trigger. I don't see what could ever happen to the receiver to make it crack. Although I've only owned a few AK's, this one is the keeper. The only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did have is a side rail. Anyone know who sells just the rail or as a kit?
If you ever ran out of ammo, you would still have a good blunt trauma weapon!
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#17]
bowers board= subguns.biggerhammer.net
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#18]
The BEST AK's are the Valmets and Galils which are product improved AK's.

Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got a post ban mak 91 (which has a little longer barrel) plus a few mags (2 or 3 30 rounders and a 55 curved) I'll sell for $350.  I've put exactly 5 (five)rounds through it and bought it new.  I'm always interested in trades if anyone is interested.
my email isn't on my user profile.....
[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm kinda partial to my Polytech.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I expect you all to be putting down deposits on the LEGP AK in the next month or so...
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Hiram!

What are the specs for the LEGP AK? I am VERY interested!
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey Patrick check your mail.
Link Posted: 12/12/2001 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#24]
4wheelin, specs should be available in the coming weeks.  What we do know is anti said it will be 7.62x39.  The majority of the Board responding to the config poll indicate they want an Arsenal type milled receiver AK.  Much interest has been expressed in having a scope rail factory installed, a rarity on most milled receivers.  Seems interest is split between wood and polymer stocks, but my preference goes to wood to make it look as authentic to the original AK as possible - quality wood mind you.  Also much interest in a welded slant brake.

Anti should have the confic and a contractor nailed down in the coming weeks.  I know he was speaking to at least one yesterday.  I won't say who that person is, but he is respected for his work.

The hope is to keep it around $600, less if possible, with a 50% deposit due with your order, balance due before delivery.

I will be the LEGP liaison between the organizers and the board members, so please do not hesitate to contact me with your questions.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:38:56 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm partial to the Romanian AK's. My wife and I have the SAR-1 and SAR-2, and a WUM-1 and WUM-2. SAR's have six U.S. parts and pistol grips, the WUM's are 100% Romanian with the Druganov style stock. All are accurate out to 100yds (4inch groups), definitely not as accurate as my AR, but alot more reliable. We've got about 2000rds through each one without any malfunctions of any kind.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 4:51:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Hiramranger:

Milled reciever, wood stock set,and side rail, seems to me like it it will be a 9lb.+ gun.  If we react quickly it might be possible to round up a number of high quality FEG stamped recievers for this project and produce a 7.5 lb very high quality rifle.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#27]
anti is aware of that option (FEG receivers), I will trust his judgement on this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top