Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2001 5:48:02 PM EDT
Im looking to buy a Olympic Arms Pre-Ban AR-15 .223 for $1079 or a Olympic Arms Pre-Ban AR-15 .223 early model for $1149. Any comments on the quality of this brand are appreciated.
Also Im looking at a Pre-Ban Tec 9 LNIB for $409.
I have a post ban Colt Ar15 right now but want a pre-ban.
Can you guys give me some views on theses guns.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't waste your money. Quality of these things is hit and miss at best.  for a few hundred more you'll be able to get a Colt, Bushy, or Eagle/Armalite.  I can't count how many threads i've read on this board about the significant problems with OLY.  They have an entire system for Reworking their Receivers after they've been purchased by customers.  that is complete B.S.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The Pre-Ban Tec 9 just comes with a 30 round clipand is Blued. the barrel is treaded that why I was looking at it. The same reason I want a pre ban AR ist for a silencer for both.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Olyhater, do I detect a bit of prejudice?

I had an Oly preban CAR-15 that was one of the best shooting guns I ever had.  Never jammed, would work with any mag/ammo I tried, and shot dead on.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
For the record, I have a preban Oly Arms CAR-15 that will not accept Thermold magazines because of the magazine well. Don't get me wrong, I love the gun - especially with a new M-4 barrel. Just don't be surprised if you purchase an Olympic Arms and polymer/plastic mags don't lock. Stick with US GI and you should never have any problems.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I can vouch for ILove2Shoot's Oly, as I now own it!!
I had my first real probem with it today. It failed to extract, but I hand loaded the chamber, so that might have been the problem.
As for accuracy, I can hit a 1foot high by 2 foot wide steel target at
200 yards with iron sights (from the offhand 6 out of 10)
Would I reccomend a Oly pre ban? Yup.
And the only mags that I have problems with (all of mine are USGI) are the same mags that my Bushy had problems with.
Hey Doug, how the 1911??

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad you like it. I've been thinkin about optics, but I'll probably go cheap and get the Leapers knock off until I can afford an OKO with forward mount.

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm reading a lot of negative vibes about Olympic on other topics about this gun.

zombee seems to be defending it since he works there. If your out there do you have anything to add about pre ban ?

Im trying to save a few buck but do not want break downs in a pinchy situation. Would I be better off just getting a lower pre ban receiver and building it? Im not experienced enough to know about compatable uppers...
I appreciate all the comments. I need to hear more from you guys befor I buy.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy the Oly Pre-Ban's and get them remade.  No problems with fit or function then.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
How do you get the lower "remade"??

Link Posted: 12/8/2001 5:33:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]
send it back to olympic, they will make a new receiver w/same serial number.  pretty neat.  hell, colt wont do it if you brake it
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the oly's . I have shot and owned a lot of different ar's but he oly's always worked for me. Have had several as DCM target rifles and even when using their stainless ultra match factory barrel very accurate..pat
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#16]
How about a preban DPMS.

www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=2112445

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top