Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2001 8:51:42 PM EDT
I finally sat down to update my insurance list for my guns after selling/buying/trading a few the last several months.

I am now starting to think about what to save for over the next year or so.  I like to have a general concept of what I might pick up so I can start looking for bargains as I get cash in hand.  Having a plan also helps keep me motivated to put the hours in at my part-time job so I can save towards a goal.  I have asked this before, and generally gotten some good answers--I usually keep the responses in the back of my mind for when the money is in hand.

This is the current list (unfortunately, stored across several states until I finish school and can move to a free state and get them all back).

The list:

Pistols:
Colt Delta Elite
Smith & Wesson #1006
Ruger Mark II
Beretta 21 A
Glock #20
Beretta 92 Stainless (Italy)
Beretta 92 F (Italy)
SIG-Sauer #229
Heckler & Koch USP
Browning Hi-Power
Smith & Wesson #1026
SIG-Sauer #228
Kimber Custom Classic
Heckler & Koch Model 4
SIG P210 / 49
Beretta Model 84
Colt Combat Commander
Heckler & Koch P7 PSP
Heckler & Koch P7 K3

Revolvers:
Ruger Super Blackhawk
Ruger GP-100
Ruger Vaquero
Colt SAA (1st. Gen)
Colt Python
Smith & Wesson Model 28

Rifles:
Savage 110E
Winchester #94
Ruger #10/22
Soviet (Military) SKS
Swedish (Military) M38 Carbine
Finnish (Military) M39
Marlin 100G
Remington #572
Bushmaster M17S (Pre-ban)
D.S. Arms SA-58 Carbine
Springfield Armory SAR-48
Colt R6551
Norinco AK-47
SGW AR-15
Yugo AK-47
State Arms Knob Creek 2000
FN FNC
Barrett M82
D.S. Arms SA-58 Standard
Chipmunk

Shotguns:
Remington 870 Express
Beretta A390 ST
Winchester #24
Beretta 1201 FP3
Benelli M3 Super 90

Machine Guns:
FNC with Sear and 3 rd. burst (Form 4)
HK 53 (Billistics)(Form 3 being converted from an HK 33).
Vector UZI (Form 3 to dealer as part of a Group Buy).

My Ideas:
More mags for the guns (I like, if possible to have 4 or 5 mags per semi-auto pistol, and prefer to have several guns in the same calibers with common mags--i.e. I have 2 Beretta 92's, so would probably buy a Beretta Elite II in 9mm rather than a Beretta in .40 S&W).  The same goes for rifles--any future AK's would probably be 7.62mm rather than a 5.45 or .223 so they can use the same mags.

In handguns--another HK P7 PSP or M8 (love the guns!!), a USP .45 Tactical, Match or Expert, Smith (pre-sellout, of course!!) 29 or 629.  Another .22 target gun or two (likely another Ruger to use the same mags).

In rifles--a couple more AR's, a Belgian 50.63 or .64, an underfolder AK, possibly another .50BMG (Armalite, most likely).  

In shotguns--a nice O/U (probably a Beretta so I can use the same choke tubes), maybe a Beretta Pintail or another AL 390.  

Any other suggestions?  Places where my collection is lacking?  I am not "into" old collectables (factory original garands, etc.) enough to truly appreciate them, so I may pick up a CMP shooter grade Garand, but most likely not a collector grade.

I do definitely like to keep common mags and calibers.  I would probably stick to .223, 7.62 x 39mm, and .308 for my autoloaders, and stick with common mags for them also.  Ditto to the pistols (so I would probably pick up a PSP over an M8 in the P7's).

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
AFARR, a collection is as individual as the collector.  Here's some stuff I might look for if I had what you have:

Garand.
M1 carbine.
P08 Luger.
AR10.
HK91.
S&W presellout M29 or 629.
Glock 26, 27 or 33.

Yeah, I know some of the above violates the commonality of mags rule.  More mags also are always a good idea, I like to have six for each handgun I shoot with any frequency.

I dunno.  You have so much cool stuff already that you can afford to just go to the gun show and see if any great deals jump out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll bet you would really enjoy sitting behind a 1919A4!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Chairborne,

Some excellent suggestions.  I had forgotten about the P08.  Years ago, I made a list of the "most recognized" handguns that I would like to get.  I am close now--I got some excellent deals on a few guns I figured I would never get otherwies (the Colt SAA and Python).  I definitely need a Luger (along with a Walther PPK/S to replace the PPK I got rid of--too much hammerbite for my taste).  

I am not a fan of the Glocks--I can appreciate the simplicity of the design.  I had a G 22 and sold it--a lot of it is that I never got used to the trigger pull on the thing.  I will keep my G 20 if only that it is a 10mm.  

I had an HK 91 and traded it for the FNC.  I like the FAL's better in .308.  But, if a '91 with a bunch of mags cropped up when I have money in hand, I wouldn't turn it down, either.

The M1 Carbine is an Excellent suggestion--and I understand they are fun to shoot as well.

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
ColtShorty,

When I move and start making a little money, the 1919 was to be the most likely belt fed full-auto I would get.  I probably wouldn't be interested in a semi- gun anytime soon,  but the 1919 is supposedly one of the most reliable belt feds around.  Of course, if I had a little more money burning a hole in my pocket, the M2 might be the way to go!!

I have pretty much written off any more full auto purchases for the near future--I am tired of my Brother getting them out of state (he's not though!!), and will probably stick to things I can get here in IL.  Besides, full auto's are very expensive (but FUN!!).

To ALL:

I definitely like the suggestions made so far.  Any more?  Any kind of a price is good--if I get $200 in my pocket, and know I won't have more for a while, I prefer to spend it on something durable (guns, mags, etc.) rather than letting it sit and frittering it away on junk food, movie rentals, etc.  Ditto for $1000 and up.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Remington 700(*) in a short magnum.

03A3.

Garand. You gotta have a rifle that goes "SHWANG"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top