Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2001 2:47:35 PM EDT
Message to anyone trying to get a CHL in Texas.  I applied about 4 weeks ago, got a letter back today stating that my application was incomplete.  Three years ago I sold my business on South Padre Island and moved to Houston.  There was a couple of months I did not work after moving to Houston.  My app said I ended employment 12/99, and started with a new company 2/00.  The reason my app is "incomplete" is the gap in employment.  WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THIS????  Do you have to employed 100% of the time, or simply list "unemployed" in the space?  Any suggestions or any one else had these picky bastards in Austin treat them the same.  I have no criminal history so I know this is not a issue.  Suggestions or comments please....
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about what you're getting back from 'em, but maybe you should note that time as 'unemployed'.

... for shits and giggles, you could put 'dealing methamphetamines' or something!  hehehe
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Call or e-mail the texas CHL department and find out.  They are fairly friendly for state employees and will tell you...

-allan
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Shit! Mine will come back incomplete then cause I was looking for work Jan 2000 - April 2000.
Sent mine in about three weeks ago.

Crap! They warned us that they were picky, but that's a bit ridiculous.

Link Posted: 12/3/2001 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I will be calling first thing in the am for instructions and will let everyone know what they say in response...
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Or, you can just carry your AR-15 with it's 30-round mag.  It is completely legal to carry rifles (loaded, of course) in Texas. Might need to do some explaining if you carry the AR into the grocery store although (bummer).

Although I have my CHL and do carry my Glock 35 everywhere (legal places, that is), I hump my BM-M4 with me everywhere I go... Well, the Bushy does stay in the car while I go in the store, etc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Have been packin' the 870 in the truck in the interim, God Bless Texas.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I was warned about this very exact subject when I was filling out my application. Apparently this is something that they are picky about and it hasn't just happened to you. I was instructed to fill out the dates and if I were unemployed for any time then to put that down on the application. Sucks you got delayed for it...

Michael
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, it sucks.  Hopefully I can just ammend the stupid thing and it won't set me back too much longer.  Thanks for the input and I will post the resloution so other learn from my mistake...
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
A simple phone call was all they told me they required.  Hopefully, this will settle this.  Seems like a waste, and that the time would be better spent processing backed up apps, but anyway my advice is to be VERY thorough with no gaps.  If unemployed, list it as unemployed.  

Anyway, best of luck to all who apply.  I cant wait to start packin' plastic (my glock).  

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't mean to make fun of your situation...but it made me laugh.  Think about it--the REASON it got rejected is because most government workers aren't worth the minimum wage!!!  They're simply LAZY.

I'm sure your phone number was on the application (I can't remember, as I filled mine out years ago)...it's not like they can't call and leave a message on your answering machine asking you to them.  BUT NO...it's easier to be lazy and do nothing than to spend 1 minute to dial the phone.  NOW, they have to REPROCESS your application from scratch now that it's complete.  Which do YOU think takes more time and our tax dollars to complete?

Sheesh.  I'm sorry to hear it.  Ironic that they're the ones employed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#11]
COZ, call them at the number listed on the app.  Possibly, Possibly, they will let you amend the damn thing now and over the phone before you lose two or three weeks waiting on them to write up a letter and send it over snail mail to you.  Worth a try at least.  

Again, to all applying for a Texas CHL, COMPLETELY fill out the app, and leave NO gaps anywhere.  If unemployed for a month, list unemployed for that month.  Good luck to all..
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I made a mistake on my renewal app and the instructor told me to liquid paper it instead of marking through and correcting it. They are quite anal in Austin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top